Catalytic Converters Update

Terry Everall

The issue of CATs is being brought up again at a meeting with Motorsport UK and we have submitted a letter requesting the withdrawal of the Rule.Let's see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Windy

What rules please?

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection batman. As my car is 2002 registered and running in mod prod this weekend with the same scrutineer from Cat gate I have opted to do the same. Arrived this morning and fitted. Absolutely pointless £80

IMG_20210512_172658.jpg

• Sad 1

Better safe than sorry......

According to Mr Mansley he said i could have secured it to the roll cage after I  had fitted mine and he would passed it as it was fitted to the car, just needed to be secure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Simon Waterfall Syman84 said:

Holy thread resurrection batman. As my car is 2002 registered and running in mod prod this weekend with the same scrutineer from Cat gate I have opted to do the same. Arrived this morning and fitted. Absolutely pointless £80

IMG_20210512_172658.jpg

Looks like mine 😏

• Like 1

Just to confirm - they are following MOT rules for road going so that a Q reg doesn’t need a CAT right?

That is correct Chris. MSUK clarified that is some recent rule changes so that cars that did not need a CAT for IVA, SVA or MOT are exempt.

For some ridiculous reason non road going are not exempt

19 hours ago, Simon Waterfall Syman84 said:

Absolutely pointless

Isn’t it just! What a ridiculous rule. 

2 minutes ago, Chris King said:

Isn’t it just! What a ridiculous rule. 

whats more ridiculous is i could with some fabrication lift and shift the engine/running gear into the pre-lit, run it in mod prod and not need one. go figure

4 minutes ago, Simon Waterfall Syman84 said:

whats more ridiculous is i could with some fabrication lift and shift the engine/running gear into the pre-lit, run it in mod prod and not need one. go figure

And my engine is from 1999, but they go on the chassis age, which is 2001, so I need one fitted!!

• Confused 1

ridiculous rule and serves no purpose at all at sprints

4 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

ridiculous rule and serves no purpose at all at sprints

Surely it’s only ridiculous because of the way in which the cat is being installed? If the rule is applied by competitors in the manner in which it was intended then it would serve a purpose.

personally I see this regulation as the thin end of the wedge. As the majority of production cars move closer to hybrid and electric drivetrains, the public will perceive our completion cars with combustion engines as noisy and polluting. Like it or not there will be pressure on MSUK in years to come to push through regulations that clean up the sport.

15 minutes ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Surely it’s only ridiculous because of the way in which the cat is being installed? If the rule is applied by competitors in the manner in which it was intended then it would serve a purpose.

Exactly mark we have done the quickest cheapest way of staying compliant. If the scrutineer had said no and the cat needed to be in the direct flow of the exhaust then we would all have to go away and have new sections of main exhaust made. 

The fact that @stickyminttried his luck a couple of year ago with one of these fault correction cats and had it positively endorced on his logbook is where it became farcical. 

So I agree that things are likely to get tighter around emissions when it comes to our weekend toys but msuk aren't doing themselves any favours in there rulings. 

31 minutes ago, Simon Waterfall Syman84 said:

So I agree that things are likely to get tighter around emissions when it comes to our weekend toys but msuk aren't doing themselves any favours in there rulings. 

yes, another badly written MSUK rule.

• Like 1