Finding the right Westfield... advice appreciated!

Tommo99

@Tommo99 I note on your latest ad that one must have is a windscreen as it’s predominamtly for road use. 

Well, I wouldn’t discount an aeroscreen! My car was 95% road use in first 2-3 years including Alps, Scottish highlands and Welsh mountain tours. I did 5k road miles a year getting caught in biblical rain at times.

Personally, I would never even consider fitting a windscreen after all of that and there’s a few of us hardy Northerners that agree see below for our tour pics and play “spot the windscreen”9F812F2D-737D-406E-B900-9FB7059F591B.jpeg

7201B609-F29C-453A-8F0B-AEF6C5E18F41.jpeg

DEC0219B-3382-4946-8DDE-58C4F8BB0138.jpeg

61B1720A-8C55-423A-83CF-950CC48C8D39.jpeg58BD6DBA-97DC-49FE-A01F-D44DCF1E9FFB.jpeg

557D1EC0-B184-4175-8AB0-A952E168D0D2.jpeg

• Like 2

Interesting! My main reasoning is that seeing how much damage a stone can do to a windscreen, I wouldn't want it to the teeth or through my sunglasses... 

Good to see that it isn't unworkable but I've read a lot of posts from people saying they would always wear a helmet with an aeroscreen. 

Just now, Tommo99 said:

Good to see that it isn't unworkable but I've read a lot of posts from people saying they would always wear a helmet with an aeroscreen. 

Personally I agree with that, and I indeed always do. However, several of our crew with aeroscreens wear shatterproof goggles and a beanie hat instead

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 16:40, Tommo99 said:

Would be nice

• LSD.

I wouldnt be too bothered about an LSD for road use and as a track novice to be honest. With an open diff you're much less likely to be spat off backwards into the scenery when grip is low. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:13, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

20180701_171433.jpg

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.a3233a0bbbf7da3f2dc9d16cb386ea0c.JPGIMG_0211.thumb.JPG.d1b6199c58ece5cd9f2d4b268aa8c87d.JPG

• Like 2

Personally I prefer a screen after going out in a mates without and being hit in the face with rain, but I am a southern softy and I prefer to pick my nose while driving and cant do that with a lid on :d

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Personally I agree with that, and I indeed always do. However, several of our crew with aeroscreens wear shatterproof goggles and a beanie hat instead

Yeah, that matches the reason behind my thinking.  If I'm taking my wife out for a Sunday lunch she's not putting goggles and a beanie on let alone a lid!

It’s just a shame that the supplier that used to make an aeroscreen that could easily be interchanged with a windscreen is no longer around.

Otherwise, sadly, in some ways, the slightly different design of how a Westfield’s screen is fitted compared to typical Sevens, and the fact that the scuttle is GRP, not aluminium, make quick swaps tricky. (The problem is twofold, the current crop of aeroscreen designs* don’t cover the windscreen mounting holes. The other issue, is that over time GRP tends to creep and distort somewhat. So you can find it will often lift and pull outwards around where the screen has been bolted on etc. all this tends to show once the screen is take off and the aeroscreen fitted.)

*i did see a photo recently though, of someone with a slightly different aeroscreen. It looked like the normal double bubble type from the top, but extended right down and around the scuttle to hide all the screen mounts etc. not sure where it came from, or if it was a one-off. (I did ask on the thread, but can’t recall the answer :blush: )

Do bear in mind though, that good winter/rain sealing round the base of the windscreen involves quite a lot of silicon! You won’t want to be splitting and re-doing that in a hurry!!

Ultimately, the best answer I’ve seen to the multi screen, multi use car, is to have two scuttles. One with an aeroscreen, and one with windscreen, wipers and washer bottle all integrated. It was made to be a roughly five/ten minute swap over, and meant that neither set up compromised the car, either physically, or aesthetically.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thrustyjust said:

My missus moans about buffeting with a screen . I guess I wouldnt hear her without !

Would mean no more little accidents while she travels in your vomit comet would go straight out the back of the car, too, no more chunks under the seats!! Just go faster, the greener she gets...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Would mean no more little accidents while she travels in your vomit comet would go straight out the back of the car, too, no more chunks under the seats!! Just go faster, the greener she gets...

It still gets brought up ( probably worded wrongly there) in conversation. She has the strongest eye muscles judging by the amount of times she rolls her eyes when in mid chuckling :d

44 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

@Tom (T3OMF) - Cotswolds AO has the best answer and generally changes most of his bodywork to go from screen to aero :d

My missus moans about buffeting with a screen . I guess I wouldnt hear her without !

4 bolts............. and about 20 mins is all it take 

• Like 1