Finding the right Westfield... advice appreciated!

Tommo99

Hi all,

Firstly - what a fantastic forum this is.  Spent hours researching and reading; it’s an excellent resource!  It hopefully has given me a good insight into what I should be looking for.  I’d really appreciate some feedback before I put a “wanted” post up or start going to see cars.  

Budget is £10,000 absolute max, including money for any modifications required before the end of summer.

Intent is to use the car for 2-3,000 miles of road driving each year, plus a few track days.  I’d love to get in to hillclimbing eventually but have never driven on a track so lots of progression to do.  Road use will be long weekend road trips on the South Coast. Will hopefully get a bit of use all year round but mainly in the summer.  The car will be kept in a garage but it’s 500m from the house and has no power. This will change as a priority when we move house (looking now) so longer term I will have a powered garage and if I want to do more on the track, I will get a trailer.  

So here’s what I think I am looking for:

Must Have

• Good car engine.  Preferably 2.0 Zetec.  
  • Injection, not carburettor.
  • Windscreen (long term this will need to be interchangeable with an aero screen).

Should have (if it doesn’t, I’ll have to buy it)

• Decent roll bar (RAC/Plays-Kool etc).
  • Harnesses, not belts.  Seems most do anyway.
  • Waterproofing gear.
  • Reasonable power - 170bhp?  I know it isn’t just numbers but what I’m saying is that I want something that can give me plenty on track without a lot of upgrading first.

Would be nice

• LSD.

Not bothered

• Rear drums fine by me.
  • SE, SEi, SEiW.
  • Lots of carbon bits.  I can always add these myself!

I take it the boot box is always the same, just that access is impeded and some space is lost when a bar with stays is fitted?  I don’t think I need the extra elbow room (5ft 10 and 12 stone with small wife) but does an SEiW have more usable storage space than an SEi?  I am planning on stashing what I can inside and then strapping a holdall to the top of the boot box.

I’m sorry to go on and I don’t mean to get you guys to do my work for me, but any thoughts would be very much appreciated!  Are there any deal breakers I’m missing?

Tommo

Welcome!

I’d say you have missed an important “wish list” if not “must have” item.

Decent gearbox. 

My BGH e6 transformed the car for road and occasional track use. I’m now doing more track and occasional sprints and it’s still spot on (for my ability). But a std type 9 or mt75 would be terrible!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Welcome!

I’d say you have missed an important “wish list” if not “must have” item.

Decent gearbox. 

My BGH e6 transformed the car for road and occasional track use. I’m now doing more track and occasional sprints and it’s still spot on (for my ability). But a std type 9 or mt75 would be terrible!

Good luck with the search and welcome 

Mr kings advice above really helped me with the spec I ended up with.

I bought a car with the bgh gear set in.  They really do drive so much better.(than the others I drove).

10k is a good budget..... good luck

• Like 2

Dont know how wide your hips are but a narrow is for the 'thinner' types. I actually preferred my live axle pre-lit than later cars in the way it went . Looks a tidy car. 

15 minutes ago, wizzer said:

Looks good,  great engine,  where's the petrol cap, has it got a boot box .

Tony 

Yep, boot box is fitted.  The filler cap is inside the boot box apparently... would be a bit of a pain when touring around with all the kit!

Tommo. 

I have a Seiw and in Winchester. Your more than welcome to come over and have a sit to help you decide if you need a wide or standard body. It's off the road ATM so can't take you out sadly.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want a run up towards Newbury, mines a wide car and on the road if the weathers reasonable ;) But its road biased and not going near a track.

Buy my car, it ticks all the boxes... :p

I also have a black "soft bits for sevens" boot bag with red piping, for additional storage over and above the boot box. Looks much slicker than a holdall and possibly greater capacity.

17 minutes ago, mr_mcp said:

Buy my car, it ticks all the boxes... :p

I also have a black "soft bits for sevens" boot bag with red piping, for additional storage over and above the boot box. Looks much slicker than a holdall and possibly greater capacity.

Its a decent car , so worth a look :yes:

• Like 1

:ww:

Head over heart every time. There will be a few around to meet your requirements or can be built on; anything you buy from a Member on here you can be sure you won't be ripped off and you'll get loads of support.

Who needs a holdall? 

20180713_135628.jpg

• Haha 1

Extra storage, tent, sleeping bag etc. Just leaving for Silverstone. 

• Like 1