Finding the right Westfield... advice appreciated!

Tommo99

Sounds like your wish list is a very close description of my car (which isn't for sale BTW)

• 2 litre Zetec on jenvey throttle bodies - 172bhp
  • Type 9 5-speed gearbox
  • LSD
  • A few carbon bits (to be further enhanced during my ownership...)
  • RAC roll bar
  • Harnesses
  • Composite seats

The only items on your wish list that it doesn't have is a screen and weather gear. For what its worth, I reckon buffeting is just as bad with a screen. I've heard drivers with screens wishing for wipers on both sides of the glass, so you can guess how the aerodynamics work... I wear a helmet if I'm going any great distance, otherwise its a thick beanie hat, some very good goggles and a face-mask if its chilly. With the right aero-screen, nothing lightweight hits you anyway, although I reckon a stone would leave a bruise, even through a thick beanie hat

As for weather gear, my bones are too old to be setting out with a strong chance of rain so weather gear is limited to what I'm wearing.

One other thing for your list - heater or not - for my use, its not a problem to have no heater, but on a couple of the Peak District runs, I've envied the people that still had feeling in their extremities after a spirited drive over the hills.

Gratuitous piccy

DSC_1395.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

@Tommo99 I note on your latest ad that one must have is a windscreen as it’s predominamtly for road use. 

Well, I wouldn’t discount an aeroscreen! My car was 95% road use in first 2-3 years including Alps, Scottish highlands and Welsh mountain tours. I did 5k road miles a year getting caught in biblical rain at times.

Personally, I would never even consider fitting a windscreen after all of that and there’s a few of us hardy Northerners that agree see below for our tour pics and play “spot the windscreen”9F812F2D-737D-406E-B900-9FB7059F591B.jpeg

7201B609-F29C-453A-8F0B-AEF6C5E18F41.jpeg

DEC0219B-3382-4946-8DDE-58C4F8BB0138.jpeg

61B1720A-8C55-423A-83CF-950CC48C8D39.jpeg58BD6DBA-97DC-49FE-A01F-D44DCF1E9FFB.jpeg

557D1EC0-B184-4175-8AB0-A952E168D0D2.jpeg

Picture 4 middle blue.

Back on the screen - I would get car with screen if you find the right one.. and this is fine on track too.. some buffeting but much less if you have the doors on...

My first Westy had screen and great on road without helmet and good on track... next two had aero-screens and 'spoil' the occasional wind the hair summer drives..now always in helmet!

LSD as has been said not so important.. and to be honest a close ratio Type9 box is nice but others ok and can always be changed at a later date...

I think engine spec and condition of car (and of course colour you like) most important.. rest can be part of upgraditus!