Le Mans 2019

LukeW

Hi All,

I am looking to take my Dad to Le Man next year.

It’ll be the first time I take my Westfield abroad, so I’m hoping there might already be a crowd of you planning to make the trip.

If you are and don’t mind a couple of tag alongs shout up and we would love to join.

If not then I’m looking for as much advice possible for making the trip.

Thanks

I went with Tour operator Speed Chills last year and this year which was superb, unfortunately they are not running the same event for 2019. Look for camp sites within walking distance of the track. We went for meal deal too, to avoid taking cooking things and food.

Two up plus tent and everything else needed will be very organised packing!

Andy

• Haha 1

Yeah I can imagine it’s going to be a squeeze, it sounded a great idea at the time but the more I think about it the more I think we will struggle, but I guess that’s part the fun :d

Did you do it on the euro tunnel or ferry?

If ferry where did you get it too?

Luke

Outbound Portsmouth to Le Harve, return Caen to Portsmouth. Main reason was for overnight crossing and having a cabin. Pay attention to crossing times as in 2017 we didn’t have a cabin home bound and it was a pita finding accommodation close to port with off street secure parking. 

I'm going again this year as part of a group (my fourth time) , we go the Wednesday and return Monday . 

Outbound we go Portsmouth-Cherbourg on the fast ferry and return Caen-Portsmouth , we are camping on Bleu Nord .

Most of our group is from The Forest of Dean and Gloucester although others from Brum and Poole meet us out there .

Take a cheap tent and leave it out there , don't get too worried about taking too much , you can make do !

If anyone is thinking of using Brittany Ferries drop me a PM - I have a discount code which can save you around 15% (please note Brittany Ferries only crossings from UK to France) :yes:

N.B. WSCC members only :d anyone else can swim :d

• Like 2

I have a Brittany Ferries discount code for Spain, won’t help in this case but if you are going to Spain feel free to pm me for the code.

Sorry for the hi-jack but could save someone quite a bit of money !!

• Haha 1

Thanks guys, 

@JulianE Do you get the 9am ferry out to Cherbourg?  If so do you stay the night before in Portsmouth or just get an early start. I'm just waiting to see where I am with work before booking anything yet.

Thanks @Mark Stanton I will remember that when booking :d.

Any one else from the Midlands area fancy it?

@LukeW Yes we get the 9am out . I usually leave about 3.30am to go to pick up a passenger and then onto our rally point , we usually stop on the way down at Chievely services and fuel at Portsmouth before boarding . When we get off the ferry we then have a clear run straight out from the Port . We go via the country roads as we are not rushed , cars are older type and we can stop at a couple of cafes on the way down . Wednesday is so much better , Thursday everything gets so much busier on the roads around Lemans .

Friday is a good day to go to the Clsssic British car Welcome at St Saturnin and there is usually a few hundred cars on show . Last year the new TVR was there . 

Our ferries are booked , they were actually slightly less than last year too !

• Like 1

I was looking into doing the trip ,however I’ve been told that there’s no Le Mans classic this year ,just the normal Le Mans.

A couple of people have mentioned that this year the Spa classic may be a better bet as I’d get the chance to get out on track ,anyone been or any thoughts ?

Steve 

Went many years ago with WSCC for our honeymoon. Stayed in the ground of a chateau , which was great as we could do the race thing for a few hours , come away , do food and head back  for the evening and nights . Away from the rabble and idiots too. Watching portaloos with running pee down the road into the campsite was not an appealing part we saw at Le Mans camps. Was a great few days . We went from Portsmouth to Caen on the speedcat on the way out and Cherbourg to Portsmouth on the return. It was biblically hot the year we went and was over 30 deg at night. We took a 2 man tent, sleeping bags and luggage in our car for 4 days worth and it is doable , although my latest wife is vertically challenged , so we had space in the footwell. Fun times of her 'surfing' in the car at toll booths trying to lob money in the catchers was a comedy on its own. :laugh:

http://www.chateau-de-chanteloup.com/en/

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If you want to push the boat out (but not the ferry) our friends (in fact Tim took over my job when I retired) have bought a Chateau about 20 miles from Le Mans. If you watched Escape to the Chateau DIY at 5pm on Channel 4 last week they were featured every night (Tim and Rebecca Jones)

Here is the link

https://chateaudelaruche.com/le-mans-race-weekends/

• 3 months later...

Excelent. I hope things dry out for you! How's the > 30% throttle travel now 😎

• Like 1

100% throttle is great on some of the roads I found yesterday. 

I think we have just about managed to dry out now too👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1