My rebuild..

Rob the Red Top

3 hours ago, Rob the Red Top said:

received_10217106005827409.jpeg

Yeah, maybe not the most nicely made system, when compared to a Simpsons set up!

This was the Simpsons set up on mine:

photo1423.jpg

ZE9T3760.jpg

photo1272.jpg

3 hours ago, Rob the Red Top said:

received_10217106005827409.jpeg

Collectors look a bit restrictive. Sounds like cams are your main route to finding more bhp though :t-up:

• Like 1

Car looks beautiful!! Great work!

Ref power - it's the cams holding you back, they're the same as were in my car and that made 221bhp - that's their limit. QED450V cams are known to make more power but are a regrind, whereas the SBD cams (which are the Kent profile you're running) are cut from blanks. There is a wilder cam from SBD that push up to 280bhp, you may need to think about bigger TB's as well though. Chat to Steve!

Yeah I thought the same but track n road suggested it might be the TB's restricting some of the airflow - however, it was almost certainly the cams. Given another year with the car I'd have changed the cams and then we'd know!

Dave's S2k car makes 285bhp at NMS on 48s, the ITBs are the 'pinch point' :t-up:

General rules...

Up to 30 BHP/CYLINDER - 30mm
up to 33 BHP/CYLINDER - 32mm
up to 39 BHP/CYLINDER - 35mm
up to 46 BHP/CYLINDER - 38mm
up to 51 BHP/CYLINDER - 40mm
up to 56 BHP/CYLINDER - 42mm
Up to 65 BHP/CYLINDER - 45mm
up to 74 BHP/CYLINDER - 48mm
up to 80 BHP/CYLINDER - 50mm
up to 87 BHP/CYLINDER - 52mm
up to 93 BHP/CYLINDER - 54mm

• Like 3

Thank for all the advice guys.. I spoke to Kent Cams and they tell me the  profile is a really old one and should only give 225 so I think I know where most of the issue lies.. It looks like it will be an early Christmas present from SBD/QED then.. Does it ever end.:bangshead:  Do you need to grind any of the head away to allow the cams to turn?

I agree the exhaust isn't as well made and I will look at having the collectors changed to smooth the flow out a bit. I guess you get what you pay for and it wasn't expensive....

Rob, I don’t think the QED450V is a regrind as I asked them this directly earlier this year and they said not but may be worth checking to make sure. Not sure if the head needs machining for clearance but you may need to go to solid lifters with a more aggressive cam. I believe the QED450 and 450V needs solid lifters.

2 hours ago, Rob the Red Top said:

Does it ever end.:bangshead: 

Well it's not as if your car will be slow, even if it 'only' has 225bhp :d

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamR said:

Never enough power ............ Turbo it like the Calibra and Vectra was. :p

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, AdamR said:

Too much is never enough :cool:

Well had a long chat with SBD today I have their Tapered 48s to 46mm ITB's , inlet manifold, clutch etc so I decided to opt for their cams. With my setup I should reach a genuine 260, which is enough. If I went for the wilder cams than I would need new springs etc and the price jumped.. 280 would be nice but then the gearbox would **** itself..

I asked about the size of the ITB's in terms of power and they have seen over 290 genuine bhp with them so clearly size isn't that important.... :p

• Like 1