Switzerland tour 2019

Gary Taylor

One man down sadly as my car decided to get a lift home. 

I'm now stuck in Central France in a very nice hotel. My insurance company were quick with my car but haven't been able to help me despite my 6 calls and a wait of over 4 hours... 

Tomorrow I shall find a hire car place and head home.  

IMG_20190604_120948.jpg

• Sad 1

What a shame, at least you were on the return leg. As David said, do let us know when you’re back safe and sound (Binky too!)

• Like 1

Thank you @David-hrv.

It's just another adventure! Will get a taxi to the garage to check out the car then a train to Paris. Spend the evening there with friends and come home tomorrow... Well that's the plan as I type.. Things can always be subject to change! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Eventually I demanded to speak to the supervisor. She said they had not been able to find one... Either not answering the phone or didn't have a car. However the Renault garage where the guy called this hotel and bought me here gave me a contact number for one. I have decided to get a train to Paris and return on the train. 

• Like 4

We had a ride up a few passes and these are pictures from a couple of them.

The roads are brilliant but for me its the surprises you find at the top.

Amazing architecture and frozen lakes.

IMG_5983.jpg

IMG_5981.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5985.jpeg

IMG_5987.jpeg

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_5990.jpg

• Like 7

As we travelled through France, I was amazed at the amount of war grave cemeteries there are.

Various other memorials that we passed have various large gun shells surrounding them.

This is small one that we visited and what was unusual was the two German graves.

These where identified by the point to the headstone.

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5428.jpg

• Like 4

We stopped at the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme. This is a war memorial to 72,337] missing British and South African servicemen who died in the Battles of the Somme of the First World War, between 1915 and 1918, with no known grave. It is near the village of Thiepval, Picardy in France. Thiepval has been described as "the greatest executed British work of monumental architecture of the twentieth century". The marked graves are split into two sections, "Unknown" and " A great Soldier"

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5445.jpg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jude - The Mad Widow said:

Eventually I demanded to speak to the supervisor. She said they had not been able to find one... Either not answering the phone or didn't have a car. However the Renault garage where the guy called this hotel and bought me here gave me a contact number for one. I have decided to get a train to Paris and return on the train. 

Take it up with the insurance company as a hire car is part of what you paid for, keep all receipts and get reimbursed 

have a safe journey 

We stayed in the most beautiful gites.

The river flowed right beneath the house and we had the sound of the weir in our rooms all night.

The owner was absolutely fantastic and he even said "Oh Lala" at the sight of our cars.

We had some really banter with his " Monsieur Carter" and my "Hello"

There was a French cartoon on the TV and it was quiet interesting to say the least. It is on Youtube if you wish to watch it.

We have stayed in some beautiful hotels but these sites really do take some beating as you are basically living in someones home and there is a great atmosphere.

IMG_5279.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

IMG_5272.jpeg

IMG_5270.jpeg

IMG_5269.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5277.jpeg

IMG_5274.jpeg

• Like 3

We had a visit to the Charles De Gaul memorial in Colombey-les-Deux-Églises.

This place is very surreal as the building is very stark and huge and it is about empty inside. The space is absolutely amazing and it is well worth stopping and having a look.

Screenshot 2019-06-05 at 09.36.04.png

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5468.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

• Like 4

This is a toilet we had to use.

First time I had used one that needed a conveyor belt.

The smell was best described as earthy.

IMG_5475.jpg

IMG_5474.jpeg

There are some amazing things that you see when travelling.

The paraglider are fantastic and we have seen dozens of them. I was amazed at how high they go. They spin and spin and the views must be breathtaking.

The little advertising signs are so creative. Here is a lizard up a chimney.

I never even imagined I would see a man in a kilt in Switzerland.

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5718.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5487.jpg

IMG_5480.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

• Like 5