Switzerland tour 2019

Gary Taylor

Ok folks planning is well under way so as hotels go really quickly I thought I would put the details up here for anyone interested , company is fine but this IS a tour so will be using normal and rural roads to SEE the countryside and views

The Itinery is as follows there are some blanks for the south coast and will update as we go forward also will add the route maps as well

Friday 24/05/19;  travelling down from Dufftown to Wooler, accommodaton ; st Cuthberts Retreat, Wooler.

Saturday 25/05/19;  Wooler down to Rawdon, Yorkshire, accommodation ; Peacehill House, Rawdon.

Sunday 26/05/19 Rawdon to south coast .. will be a bit of a slog, sorry. Accommodation ; the Royal Norfolk Hotel, Folkestone.

Monday 27/05/19;  early eurotunnel train remembering its +1 hour when we disembark.

Monday 27/05/19; Calais Eurotunnel to Sainte-Maure, via Thriepval Memorial to pay respect to the fallen, accommodation ; la Residene De Moulin, Sainte-Maure and Ali and Gail are at ; Domaine de Vermoise, Sainte-Maure 

Tuesday  28/05/19; Sainte-Maure to Stuhlingen , accommodation ; Landgasthof Hotel Rebstock, Stuhlingden.

Wednesday 29/05/19; Stuhlingen to Guarda, via the Rhine falls and the northern border of Switzerland and the western border of Austria, accommodation ; Guarda Lodge, Guarda 7545 (2 nights).

Thursday 30/05/19; classic passes and mountain lakes day southern Swiss border and northern Italy.

Friday 31/05/19; Guarda to Obergesteln, accommodation ; Hotel Grimsel, Obergesteln, 3988 (2 nights).

Saturday 01/06/19; sightseeing day to include, waterfalls, and cable cars up to mountain restaurant / waving area.

Sunday 02/06/19; Obergesteln to Leysin, via suspenion bridge walk, car transporter train through tunnel and summer Luge at Kandersteg, accommodation ; Hotel de la Grand Chalet, Leysin, 1854.

Monday 03/06/19 Leysin to Le Bourg, Le Puley, accommodation ; Chambers au Logis des Acacias, le Bourg, Le Puley, 71460. And Ali and Gail are at ; Kyriad Montchanin le Creusot, Montchanin.

Tuesday 04/06/19; Le Bourg to grosrouvre, accommodation ; Quixote, Grosrouvre, 78490 (2 nights).

Wednesday 05/06/19; metro into Paris , sightseeing.

Thursday 06/06/19; Grosrouvre to Calais  Eurotunnel to Holiday Inn, Chatham ME5 9SF.

Friday 07/06/19;  Chatham to Harrogate, accommodation  ; Innkeeper's lodge, Harrogate.

Saturday 08/06/19 .......... HOME !!!!!!

Will add the routes as I finalise the maps, I have tried to keep under 300 miles a day some are well less , but there are a couple of " long days in the saddle" but were on holiday so breaks as and when we need them there is no rush

• Like 2

Looks great.

only thought - but haven’t checked the route in detail etc but query on if it is too early as in if some of the roads will be closed still die to snow/ice. I know this is the case still around this time for the Pyrenees.

This sounds like an amazing trip.  3 of us did a run to Switzerland at the end of June this year and all the passes were fine then.  The only issue is that this is the only time they can do road works, so that may be the only hold up. 

6 hours ago, CrisisWolf said:

Looks great.

only thought - but haven’t checked the route in detail etc but query on if it is too early as in if some of the roads will be closed still die to snow/ice. I know this is the case still around this time for the Pyrenees.

Thanks we had considered this and as there is no great rush to get anywhere if a detour is required so be it , were on holiday so time really is immaterial 

Looks like a fantastic trip Gary seriously considering tagging along

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terryathome said:

300 miles in a day is pushing it a bit

especially if you have a passenger with a hangover like i had lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terryathome said:

300 miles in a day is pushing it a bit

Hi that’s the most a lot of the days are a good bit less and we quite often do days like that when we go anywhere. The price we pay staying up here I guess

19 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Looks an awesome trip Gary. Will be a good run for the new lump.

Yes it’s something we’ve wanted to do for a long time and we aren’t ones for sitting in a hostelry as we’d rather be out and about, 

and yes the new lump will give a touch extra torque on the hills (4 weeks until surgery begins, but that’s another new thread)