Not as light as I thought...

NigelO

58 minutes ago, stephenh said:

And you may be a bit heavier than you think, because most people who weigh themselves "in the privacy of their own bathroom" tend to do so more or less naked, whereas I imagine you went to Matt at Procomp you were fully clothed?

And in my, admittedly limited, experience, to get a road legal wide body car engined Westfield on standard chassis and bodywork, and IRS, down to anywhere near 500 kg is not realistic. My old car, which started life as a road going 2008 car, with duratec engine (light by 2 litre standards) and type 9 'box, no carpet, carbon nose, wings and aeroscreen, and light weight wheels, with full cage, and shell seats weighed around the 565kg. mark.

Interesting that I have a very similar spect to your old Duratec (bar the cage), but my Zetec is 50kg heavier - I don't have carpets either, but my nosecone, cycle wings and aero screen are all OE fibreglass - maybe 10kg to be saved with a screen and wings, but I don't fancy extending the mortgage for a carbon nose

I jumped on one of the corner weight scales at proComp - 81.5kg fully clothed (with extra clothes too, 'cos it was a bit fresh yesterday, so I'm probably still on the right side of 80kg in the buff..)

Matt was saying that it is extremely difficult to get any Westie below 500kg, with live axle narrow being the closest. He said that a wide IRS is always going to be in the mid 500s as a minimum.

To be honest, now I'm over the intial disappointment of owning a lardy kit, I'm not that bothered. With 'only' 170bhp, it was never going to be setting laptimes to beat, but its plenty quick enough for everyday road use. In fact I'm rather enjoying wringing its neck, feeling like my face is being ripped off and then looking down to find I'm still only doing 60mph

Matt was telling me that there are some Wilwood calipers that fit straight onto the Sierra uprights - if any pop up for sale, I'd probably have them, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy driving it and tinkering with it during the long winter evenings (for the first time in 30 years, I have a heater in the garage AND a reason to go in there)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NigelO said:

Interesting that I have a very similar spect to your old Duratec (bar the cage), but my Zetec is 50kg heavier - I don't have carpets either, but my nosecone, cycle wings and aero screen are all OE fibreglass - maybe 10kg to be saved with a screen and wings, but I don't fancy extending the mortgage for a carbon nose

I jumped on one of the corner weight scales at proComp - 81.5kg fully clothed (with extra clothes too, 'cos it was a bit fresh yesterday, so I'm probably still on the right side of 80kg in the buff..)

Matt was saying that it is extremely difficult to get any Westie below 500kg, with live axle narrow being the closest. He said that a wide IRS is always going to be in the mid 500s as a minimum.

To be honest, now I'm over the intial disappointment of owning a lardy kit, I'm not that bothered. With 'only' 170bhp, it was never going to be setting laptimes to beat, but its plenty quick enough for everyday road use. In fact I'm rather enjoying wringing its neck, feeling like my face is being ripped off and then looking down to find I'm still only doing 60mph

Matt was telling me that there are some Wilwood calipers that fit straight onto the Sierra uprights - if any pop up for sale, I'd probably have them, but for now, I'm just going to enjoy driving it and tinkering with it during the long winter evenings (for the first time in 30 years, I have a heater in the garage AND a reason to go in there)

Just enjoy it! There's a few salesmen that like to imply S2000 Westies are circa 500kg and they certainly aren't. Doesn't stop them being fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not wanting to start knocking Caterham but I wonder how many weigh their claimed weight?

It's quite possible it's dry weight which is a pointless measure as engine oil,  coolant and fuel whilst adding weight are rather important.....

Lots of supercars and track cars also seem to use dry weight :(

Ready to drive with a stipulated amount of fuel is much more relevant :d

For comparison, here is the summary from our Essex Weigh Day this year:

Car Car Weight
Pre-lit, Crossflow, aeroscreen, half tank, oil coated 538.5
 2.0 zetec, aeroscreen, half tank, no frills 563
Wide, Sigma, aeroscreen 574.5
1.6 mazda SDV, windscreen 581
 Wide 2.0 zetec, windscreen, 2/3 tank, hood frame, JK seats 595.5
 Wide, XE Redtop, windscreen, just over half tank 597.5
Wide 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen, tunnel carpet, 3/4 tank fuel 601.5
Wide Zetec 2.0, Full cage, no screen, carpet, half tank 610.5
Wide 2.0 Zetec, Full Cage, Tonneau, Aeroscreen, half doors, 3/4 tank 612.5
Wide, 1800 Zetec, windscreen, heater, carpets, half tank 612.5
FW rear, 2.0 Zetec, Full cage, windscreen, heater, half tank, 2 fire ext 618
Mazda 1.6, windscreen, tonneau, full boot (!), doors, full tank  618
Wide, 2.0 Zetec, 1/4 tank, windscreen, Nox bottle 619
Wide, Crossflow, windscreen, spare wheel 623.5
 2.1 pinto, flared arches, spare wheel, heater, carpet, windscreen 626.5
Wide FW, Zetec, windscreen, heater, half hood, side doors, full tank 640.5
Wide, Turbo Mazda, windscreen,half hood, wind deflectors 650.5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SXRORY said:

looks mint though :yes:

Thanks - I'm pretty pleased with it - it's had money spent in a lot of the right areas - stuff like refurbed engine, ARB rod bolts, Piper cams, TBs, Raceline sump and water rail, tiny lithium battery, JK composite seats, carbon half doors and arch protectors - loads and loads of stuff. It took me three years to prise it from the previous owner, so I'm pretty chuffed with it

It certainly looks like a much more expensive car - I got it for a great price as it was a Cat D write-off several years ago (front corner damage), but went through Toybox since (so I assume the repair was a decent standard)

Fack sake... heavy cars around essex... 

Regarding catering vans (previous comment)... none of the weight what they say. they are muuuuch heavier. at least none of the ones i had the oportunity to weight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, maurici said:

Fack sake... heavy cars around essex... 

To be fair, it's mostly just the neons and subs though

• Haha 4

BECs are a lot less than CECs

1 minute ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

To be fair, it's mostly just the neons and subs though

Oh i see...

Neon lights, subwofers, aplifiers...

I gess the rear tray is full of teddy bears and the cars have flame vinils all around then?

14 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

For comparison, here is the summary from our Essex Weigh Day this year:

Car Car Weight
Pre-lit, Crossflow, aeroscreen, half tank, oil coated 538.5
 2.0 zetec, aeroscreen, half tank, no frills 563
Wide, Sigma, aeroscreen 574.5
1.6 mazda SDV, windscreen 581
 Wide 2.0 zetec, windscreen, 2/3 tank, hood frame, JK seats 595.5
 Wide, XE Redtop, windscreen, just over half tank 597.5
Wide 2.0 Zetec, aeroscreen, tunnel carpet, 3/4 tank fuel 601.5
Wide Zetec 2.0, Full cage, no screen, carpet, half tank 610.5
Wide 2.0 Zetec, Full Cage, Tonneau, Aeroscreen, half doors, 3/4 tank 612.5
Wide, 1800 Zetec, windscreen, heater, carpets, half tank 612.5
FW rear, 2.0 Zetec, Full cage, windscreen, heater, half tank, 2 fire ext 618
Mazda 1.6, windscreen, tonneau, full boot (!), doors, full tank  618
Wide, 2.0 Zetec, 1/4 tank, windscreen, Nox bottle 619
Wide, Crossflow, windscreen, spare wheel 623.5
 2.1 pinto, flared arches, spare wheel, heater, carpet, windscreen 626.5
Wide FW, Zetec, windscreen, heater, half hood, side doors, full tank 640.5
Wide, Turbo Mazda, windscreen,half hood, wind deflectors 650.5

Thanks for this - so I'm actually not too far off then, assuming that its the Sierra uprights, calipers and discs that are my culprits

2 minutes ago, NigelO said:

Thanks for this - so I'm actually not too far off then, assuming that its the Sierra uprights, calipers and discs that are my culprits

Don't forget front hubs and rear calipers... Slippery slope :)

Mine is a Sierra SDV. Well, not so much now as it’s just the rear uprights and hubs left from the donor - and they will soon be swapped too as I move to 13” rims 

The Sierra front uprights and hubs are very heavy. I now have alloy ones and along with the Oz Superlegerras, alloy bellhousing, alloy calipers all round and lack of frills, It’s not too Lardy. 

Don't know what you're worried about, my Sport 250 was 675kg at IVA (full fuel, heater carpets etc). 695kg when suspension set up with full touring gear (~1/2 fuel, sidescreens, half hood, tools, and other "useful"gubbins on board).

Perhaps I've got the heaviest Westfield :p