• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Devon holiday

Mole

Off on Saturday with the missus and Poppy the Jack Russell down to Hampton in Devon for a weeks holiday.. unfortunately taking the tin top.. It's an area I don't know.. but looking forward to seeing places of interest, a bit of walking, hopefully enjoying lots of local food and drink..

Don't want to stay in one place.. will be out and about happy to do some driving..

Any places that any one can recommend as must see would be good.. or places to avoid equally..

• Like 1

@Mole Is it Hampton near Axminster (SE Devon)?

Seaton is the nearest town on the coast. Can do a tram ride from there inland to Colyton, or vica versa.

Beer and Branscombe are small coastal places just to the west. Fourther west is Sidmouth, wher the "grey pound" is thriving!

East of Exeter you've got Torquay etc. Dartmouth and the river is nice to visit. Halton forest, top of Telegraph hill, near Exeter racecourse is good for dogs.

One of my favourite places is Lyme Regis (just to the east), a quant little town complete with harbour, popular with grockles though!

Further east is Charmouth, nice beach, good walking, coast path east gives good views along coast.

Heading further east, is Bridport and West Bay. The coast road from there towards Weymouth via Abbotsbury has some splendid views of Chesil bank. Clock Inn Chideok does good food, as does the Kings Arms at Portesham, which has a nice big beer garden at the front. Worth a quick trip up to Hardys Monument from Portesham, good walks and views.

Personally I'd avoid Weymouth itself, but head to Portland, nice place for a stroll on the causeway, leading to the island. If you drive up the hill out of Fortueswell you'll come to roundabout with the Portland Heights Hotel facing you. Turn sharp left, then road goes sharp right, continue past war memorial, bit further up are several parking areas, pull in and you'll have great views of Portland harbour, and be able to look along Chesil bank, right around Lyme bay. You can walk round the island in about 3 hours if you're so inclined, or ther are several parking places on the road out to the light house.

If you're so inclined, the Tank museum at Bovington is interesting, heading towards Poole, also got Wareham forest.

Bit further inland is the Haynes Motor museum, and the Fleet Air Arm museum, both just off the A303 near Sparkford and Ilchester.

Axminster is a quaint little town, and if you're anything like me, Axminster Tools shop is always worth a stroll around!

Lots of other options, just a random brain dump, hope it helps. Have a good holiday.

Thanks AdgeC.. great words.. should be on the welcome to Devon committee! I think it was a typo or spell check.. actually staying in Bampton.. fairly central, just north of Tiverton.. not sure if that will change your suggestions!!

Being from lovely Norfolk I will do my best not to act like a tourist..as I appreciate what it can be like for the locals!! However do intend to see plenty of what looks like a great place..

If  you are in Haldon forest area, there is a dog friendly pub called, The Nobody Inn, in Doddiscombsleigh, and has a very large selection of Whiskeys and Wine ( and accommodation if required) http://www.nobodyinn.co.uk/   I have not been for a good few decades (I went to the primary school around the corner with the former landlords daughter), but it does have good reviews. If you travel further down into the Teign Valley, there is a reasonably good pub called The Manor Inn, in Ashton, http://www.manorinn.co.uk/ which I frequent when visiting my Grandparents. A useless fact is that the manor, next to the inn, is owned by Tim Martin of Weatherspoons.

Bampton changes things somewhat, you're quite a bit further North, and on the edge of Exmoor just about! Some lovely drives up over Exmoor. Wimbleball lake north of Bampton is good for a walk with a dog, takes a couple of hours to walk right round if you're so inclined. Further north you'll find  Dunkerry Beacon and Horner woods there's a couple of small parking areas beside the road, and some nice walks, giving some splendid views. On the north coast theirs a number of quaint places to visit such as Bossington, Porlock, Porlock Weir (which has a nice pub at the end of the road by the harbour) and the Porlock Toll road is interesting, just look out for potholes!

Further west along the A39you have Lynton and  Lynmouth, Come Martin and on towards Ilfracombe.

Minehead is ok if you ignore Butlins, particularly if you wind your way through the town up to North hill on the west side. It's a no through road, but worth a drive along the top, where there are a couple of car parks, and nice walks with good views. There is a steam train that runs from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard (just outside Taunton), if that interest you.

Dunster is quaint, if busy with grockles. The castle and its grounds are nice. Dunster Beach not far away either. If you head east along the coast you have Blue Anchor and Watchet. A little further east you have the Quantocks hills. Again some good walking, with views, just look out for sheep and deer with your dog!

Exmoor is good to exlore, often go up there for a days run in the Westfield. If you go to Exford the Exmoor White Horse Inn is right by the river, and does good "pub grub".

Dulverton is another nice village, Tarr steps quite close, nice river walk here, and again a good pub just up from the river.

If you head west on the A361 you find Barstaple,, north from there is Braunton, Saunton Sands, Woolacombe, Morthoe and a favourite of ours Lee bay, where there's another dog friendly pub, The Grampus Inn which does good food, and has a micro brewery in the car park. It's a bit out of the way to find. But well worth the effort. The coast path from here road to Morthoe via Bull Point lighthouse is a bit hilly, but worth it on a nice day.

Saunton Sands is a nice sandy beach, with dunes behind (where the army frequently "play"!). We prefer to get to it from the south end, which you get to by turning left as you enter Braunton and go down a single track toll (sometimes!) road to Crow Point. Usually much quieter that end. Alternativelythere is a car park behind the dunes called Sandy Lane car park, which is left off the Braunton to Saunton road.

Further west you find Bideford, Appledore and Westward Ho, where you can drive down across the golf course, park, clamber over a pebble bank, and provide the tides not right, in a lovely beach to walk along.

Just some random thoughts. Hope this helps. Enjoy your holiday.

Just a small sample of places to visit, plenty more in the area as well.

Edited by AdgeC
Last line added
  • Like 1

Fantastic..thank you both..looks like you have me weighed up.. a nice drive, have a pleasant walk, not too long but enough to keep the dog and missus happy.... Then hit the pub!!! Sounds like it's going to be wonderful... Thanks again..will let you know how I get on.

Last day today of a great week in Devon.. thanks to @AdgeC for suggestions of places to visit..were excellent.. even paid my pound on the toll road.. lovely place lovely people..shame about the grockles in some places by the sea!! Only thing missing was the Westy as some great roads!

On 8 June 2018 at 17:16, Mole said:

Last day today of a great week in Devon.. thanks to @AdgeC for suggestions of places to visit..were excellent.. even paid my pound on the toll road.. lovely place lovely people..shame about the grockles in some places by the sea!! Only thing missing was the Westy as some great roads!

Glad you enjoyed it, grockles and all. The roads are only Westie friendly for locals by the way!!!!!!!

• Haha 2