Dominator Headlamps - Difference?

Valentinik

So a bit of an obvious follow up question.....does anyone know what the stock 5 3/4" headlights weigh? I just realized that the way they are wired makes them not-so-simple to remove and weigh.

dave

The main difference is that you'll probably have to wait 6 weeks to get the ones from Westfield. If you can, borrow some full size ones for IVA and then switch to these if you're not planning on using the car in the dark. I've fitted mine with some LED H4 bulbs and they're a lot better, would be better still in the 7" lights but I didn't want my car to look like a model T.

I will weigh one in the morning on the kitchen scales and let you know, mine are currently off the car. 

1 hour ago, Phil J said:

I will weigh one in the morning on the kitchen scales and let you know, mine are currently off the car. 

That's great - thank you very much.

dave

The answer is 810 g each, the ones I have are chrome with glass lens and side lights. 

For my own interest I looked up the declared weight of the replacement led units on Amazon as discussed on here (without mounting buckets and brackets) and they were 962 g each.

4 hours ago, Phil J said:

The answer is 810 g each, the ones I have are chrome with glass lens and side lights. 

For my own interest I looked up the declared weight of the replacement led units on Amazon as discussed on here (without mounting buckets and brackets) and they were 962 g each.

Hey Phil - I don't understand what you mean by "glass lens and side lights." Is there a sideways facing marker light built into the unit? Or is it something else?

dave

No.

Shamelessly pasted and copied

What are sidelights?

The term 'sidelights' can be confusing. These lights are actually not located on the side of your car. On many modern cars, they're located in the headlight unit itself. Sometimes, you'll find them on the front corners of the car, near the headlights.

Adding to this confusion is their differing names. Although they're called sidelights in the UK, in the US and Canada they're referred to as parking lights.

Sidelights (or parking lights) aren't as bright as headlights. Sidelights typically use a 5W bulb, comapred to standard headlights which work on a much higher wattage.

I wrote the good people at the Westfield parts dept and asked if the small lights they sell are "handed" (meaning set up to be used on a left hand drive or right hand drive car) and was told that the lights are not handed.

I've also seen listings online saying that the Dominator light is handed.

I don't really care that much if it's not handed but certainly don't want to end up with lights that are meant for a RHD car when I'm in a LHD car.

Thoughts?

dave

My Westfield supplied 4" lights are not handed - they have a flat beam pattern.

Can't say if they still supply the exact same ones though (bought mine in 2014/15)

Thank you Chris.

It's interesting to me that Westfield sells a 4" Dominator headlight and I've also found some on eBay here in the states that are listed as 3 1/2". The ebay listing -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-3-5-HEADLIGHT-HEADLIGHTS-CUSTOM-KIT-CAR-BIKE/112652895656?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D4059542879e1427a8d90bd5152139037%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D112652895656&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

I also see that Kit Car Direct sells a Dominator headlight that they list as 3 1/2" -

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/universal-3-5-single-headlight-lamp-matt-black.html

Does anyone know if Westfield is selling the same item as these other two or are there two different versions (4" and 3 1/2") of this light?

dave

7 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Might just be how people measure them? Maybe internal lamp or bowl size?

I was thinking the same thing.

dave