ZZS vs 888r vs Nankang AR1

S2T

Which tyre would you choose for 195hp bec for sprint/circuit use. I am particularly interested from those that have used AR1's and difference they made to lap times

Ive not tried zzs (and following the experiences of other competitors i will not as thet are **** for sprinting).

Ive been competing with 888 supersoft, and Ive seen cars with the modern 888r being pretty near to my times with lower performance cars... so... tyres are perfotming quite well.

However... a bloddy fulcrum with nankang driven by a vehicle dinamics engineer, is blowing ALL the times in class b2.

So my next set of sprint tyres will be nankang ar1 as I have the perception that is the tyre to use.

I cant tell you what to do with your money... but I can tell you what i will do with mine for next season... 

And that will be burn my toyos in trackdays and practice... and have a set of AR1 for timed runs. Class 2b, roadgoing.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 29/09/2017 at 22:18, maurici said:

Ive not tried zzs (and following the experiences of other competitors i will not as thet are **** for sprinting).

Ive been competing with 888 supersoft, and Ive seen cars with the modern 888r being pretty near to my times with lower performance cars... so... tyres are perfotming quite well.

However... a bloddy fulcrum with nankang driven by a vehicle dinamics engineer, is blowing ALL the times in class b2.

So my next set of sprint tyres will be nankang ar1 as I have the perception that is the tyre to use.

I cant tell you what to do with your money... but I can tell you what i will do with mine for next season... 

And that will be burn my toyos in trackdays and practice... and have a set of AR1 for timed runs. Class 2b, roadgoing.

Sorry to bring an old topic up, I’m interested in how you got on with the AR1’s

I’ve heard that the fulcrum was putting in some good times at curborough.

Simon 

I have run the nankangAr-1's this season and find them very good very little Deg over the 11 events I did.

Granted the surface has been relaid but I beat the TT and record by nearly 5 seconds at three sisters set by @AdamR who is no slouch behind the wheel.

Very good 1b tyre also consider the extreme vr2 as that has been doing well and is being released in a 205 13 in the new year.

I've used them and found them good. Apparently the best of the bunch of 1B tyres (from someone who tested a load back to back).

I'm not sure the 3 Sisters comparison is that valid Simon, as you said there were a lot of new records after the new surface, and I was on my ditchfinders that day without trailer or any tools (not even a tyre pressure gauge) :t-up: 

44 minutes ago, syman84 said:

Very good 1b tyre also consider the extreme vr2 as that has been doing well and is being released in a 205 13 in the new year.

There has been some great results with the extreme vr2 in other classes this year.

I think he’s struggling to get enough interest to do a batch of wider 13” though.

Fingers crossed we’ll get the vr2 but if not I might give the AR1s a go 

17 hours ago, AdamR said:

I'm not sure the 3 Sisters comparison is that valid Simon, as you said there were a lot of new records after the new surface, and I was on my ditchfinders that day without trailer or any tools (not even a tyre pressure gauge) :t-up: 

sorry Adam biging myself up too much lol. didn't realise the circumstances around your times.

still i really rate the tyre and will more than likely run them again next season. @SimonRad shame that there isn't enough interest in the 205 wide 13 inch Extreme it won a lot in the road car classes using the 15 inch.

Haha not at all. Just making sure people didn't think there was a ~5s difference between AR-1s and something like an 888 then ending up disappointed having shelled out for a set!

On 13/12/2018 at 14:51, SimonRad said:

Sorry to bring an old topic up, I’m interested in how you got on with the AR1’s

I’ve heard that the fulcrum was putting in some good times at curborough.

Simon 

Sorry I'm replying quite late.

I've have not had the oportunity yet to test them in competition. I didn't went out last year. However, I've done several trials with them in 3 different cars. westy, Caterham CSR260 and the (in)Famous Munter.

In my opinion they are waaaaaaaaay better than toyos and zzr mediums and the single set of A048 medium i could test, at least in feeling. They work better from cold too. Unfortunately I don't have lap times to back them.

People seems to think that Extremme tyres are the ones to go now for roadgoing sprinting if you can sort yoursefl with narrow tyres. I've spare set of wheels now, and I may give them a go too