Tech Talk Suggestion

CraigHew

Currently the Build Threads are located within the Tech Talk section.

Tech Talk

Whilst that seems sensible, and I'm aware that the location has been discussed before, I'd suggest that the sub-headings be altered to ;

Tech Talk

This will aid navigation, especially to recent members perhaps not familiar with the forum structures...?

Thanks Craig

I'd put the IVA stuff in with it, or 

put the Build Threads in before the IVA stuff so, as I've said before ( :durr:) it becomes:

#1 'Thinking' (The Start Line)

#2 'Building' (Build Threads + IVA stuff)

#3 ' Fixing' (Tech Talk)

The logic is indisputable (Mr Eastwood)!

I see what you mean; but Build Threads is a post (not a sub-forum) containing a list of build related threads located elsewhere; whereas the Advisories, Service Bulletins & Recalls is a sub-forum containing related threads and posts.

We would need to:

1. Create a sub-forum called "Build Threads" - easy enough
  2. Find ALL the build threads - not easy at all
  3. Move them all - not as easy at it sounds
  4. Ensure that there was a trail left behind so that the original location remains for those that have short cuts, favourites, etc. -  not easy at all

We "could" do item 1 but it would only contain the existing pinned thread at this stage.

It is however a nice idea, and as you say has been discussed before.

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO and @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary will be along shortly to tell me I've got all of that wrong or if not, agree that it's in the pile of nice things to do that we don't have the time or resources to implement at present.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

The logic is indisputable (Mr Eastwood)!

Possibly but it does not, unfortunately, easily translate to web forums, databases, etc. especially when most of the effort requires migration of existing information (data).

It's a bit like saying, here is a bag that has two bags in it, one full of books on subject A and one with a list of the books we know about today on subject B. All the subject B books are spread to the four corners of the earth. To make this idea work, someone needs to go to the four corners of the earth, locate all of the subject B books and put them in the subject B bag and also leave a note to say that's where they have gone.

Moving/migrating such a large amount of information is bound to cause problems with broken links, missing pictures, broken short cuts and favourites...

We "could" as I say do item 1, create a sub-forum and all NEW build threads could be started in here and we could add the existing list...?

33 minutes ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

I see what you mean; but Build Threads is a post (not a sub-forum) containing a list of build related threads located elsewhere; whereas the Advisories, Service Bulletins & Recalls is a sub-forum containing related threads and posts.

We would need to:

1. Create a sub-forum called "Build Threads" - easy enough
  2. Find ALL the build threads - not easy at all
  3. Move them all - not as easy at it sounds
  4. Ensure that there was a trail left behind so that the original location remains for those that have short cuts, favourites, etc. -  not easy at all

We "could" do item 1 but it would only contain the existing pinned thread at this stage.

It is however a nice idea, and as you say has been discussed before.

@Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO and @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary will be along shortly to tell me I've got all of that wrong or if not, agree that it's in the pile of nice things to do that we don't have the time or resources to implement at present.

I'd have to agree with our esteemed and beloved Chairman on this one.  Nice idea in principle, a potential back-breaker to execute.

If I'm stirring the pot even further, MHO is that the information in those build threads is extremely valuable and that the posts and threads in a section called "Build Threads" should only be visible to paying club members in order to encourage people to join the club.  Letting the entire world see everyone's blood, sweat and tears and learn their tacit knowledge for free doesn't do that.  Just MHO of course, nothing more, no doubt it's a view that in some people's eyes will require me to activate this: :d

fsa.gif.2bc20c95df5ca69899ce697b62dd2b6d.gif

As it would appear any personal view I express annoys Martin so much, I'll refrain from trying to discuss it.

• Like 1

As a "newbie" could we not at least put a folder like structure like talked about, so at least new threads are easy to find?

at a base level publishers could then put up an entery into the new container, pointing to there current threads, and maybe ask people to start a build with a common phrase, such as "Build - " followed by whatever they want.

With my Sport 250 kit due in 21 days, been reading all sorts of builds to get as much info as poss, which has been bl**** fantastic, with loads of really great info, and only found 3x 250 builds, which may well be all there is, but searching is a bit difficult.

totally agree needs to be a club membership privilege to view this sort of info, as it's down to the efforts of previous people who have already done it, who take the time to document that new club members benefit, and I clearly count myself in this class

2nd best thing I did was to join WSCC, after finally decided to build kit.

44 minutes ago, bunje said:

build threads are useless now with photbucket charging the earth. unless the thread is relitivly new

Very good point.

See below for ideas to resolve Photobucket issues:

Firstly Dave you're perfectly entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with it. I just might disagree but that's all part of a democratic process.

I would be perfectly happy with Dave's long list of links to existing build threads being stickied at the top and new build threads added one by one to follow. I'm perfectly happy for it to be Members only.

Do we have a deal??

9 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

I'd have to agree with our esteemed and beloved Chairman on this one.  Nice idea in principle, a potential back-breaker to execute.

If I'm stirring the pot even further, MHO is that the information in those build threads is extremely valuable and that the posts and threads in a section called "Build Threads" should only be visible to paying club members in order to encourage people to join the club.  Letting the entire world see everyone's blood, sweat and tears and learn their tacit knowledge for free doesn't do that.  Just MHO of course, nothing more, no doubt it's a view that in some people's eyes will require me to activate this: :d

fsa.gif.2bc20c95df5ca69899ce697b62dd2b6d.gif

Sorry Scott I disagree profoundly and completely with this.

Build threads are one of those things that are often most helpful in people deciding they're actually going to build a Westfield at all. Many, many builders openly state they pored over them when deciding whether to build and what kit to build.

There are ever more resources available where all this information is there for free, from the tradition Locost Builders site, whose breadth of technical knowledge and depth dwarves that displayed here in, through to other marque specific forums and then there's the dreaded Face Book and the increasing number of kit related groups that are starting to get more technical questions asked and answered.

It's also I presume, going to mean on certain build related topics, us falling in Google search results, as I understand the site is currently set to not allow spiders on members only areas! So those unaware of the WSCC are likely to get directed to other Internet resources, blogs, etc before here.

Even Blatchat, allows free access to the Technical section!