" I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN....."For members who just want to share what they have been doing

DamperMan

4 hours ago, sdh2903 said:

An en-suite for the garage. Now that is just showing off;)

Well, technically, it's an en-suite for a trailer - as in "can I have a trailer" - "yes, now about that en-suite..." - I still get to keep the garage :d

• Like 1

Hiding from the rain and swapping the windscreen/pillars on our family project Westfield from the original 1993 set to a current set up. Thanks to everyone who's posted about their similar jobs for sharing all your hints, tips and advice.

Gary

DSCF0543.JPG

DSCF0551.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GaryH said:

Hiding from the rain and swapping the windscreen/pillars on our family project Westfield from the original 1993 set to a current set up. Thanks to everyone who's posted about their similar jobs for sharing all your hints, tips and advice.

Gary

DSCF0543.JPG

DSCF0551.JPG

Other than a colour change was there any advantage to doing that?  What age is the car and were the polished uprights from the original do you know? Planning on putting a windscreen back on mine. 

Hi Ron

It's a 1993 SEIW kit body with fixed arches. To keep the alignment as close as possible I used a couple braces between the rollbar and the top of the windscreen and only swapped and re-fixed the pillars one at a time before sorting the screen out.

The biggest advantage is being able to see behind you, which you couldn't do with the original mirrors. My kids drive this and I wanted overtaking to be a bit safer, I still encourage a "shoulder check", but these mirrors are big improvement over the older style.

I might get told off for this being in the wrong place, but I've got a spare current widebody windscreen/pillars/mirrors set if you need it.

Gary

Been quietly doing up my Westy from back to front. Roll bar re powder coated in gloss black and struts held on with new rose joints and a pair of stainless steel dome nuts and studding. Much neater than the bzp nut, bolt and sva plastic covers IMO.

IMG_20170517_175615.thumb.jpg.9f9053e7e73de542e9f5a625f23192bf.jpg

• Like 1

Still building the loft conversion!

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

On 2017-5-17 at 21:04, Ian Tolfree (tolf) - North London AO said:

Still building the loft conversion!

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

Getting there, looks great.

The track day wheels are on.., I thin they are a lot more cheery than graphite... 

before with the road wheels

IMG_4921.thumb.JPG.ce436d825094fdd6c27876de8b0a6a5f.JPG

after... with my up cycled peug speedlines. IMG_4922.thumb.JPG.b80f56d961d12bd9bfade961f582548e.JPG

hopefully the grease on the back of the mintex pad backs will quieten the pads a little. It's like talking to whales.. 

• Like 1

just had a fantastic dinner cooked by Mrs Yanto after spending 3 days initial planning on increasing a £12bn contract let to £19bn, brain is frazzled.......!

Oh, and the LED H4 bulbs have arrived for increasing the candle power of the headlights for the Westy, so all in all there's a lot of increasing going on!

Those wheels look great 

592467c3c4920_Screenshot2017-05-2317_47_40.thumb.png.6fa57de668aca9a66afe2e50ac74f6a0.png

Just filled up with fuel for the first time after having sorted the TPS and it turns out it was the best ever MPG :yes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just worked out the cost of my engine change...  You basically double your purchase price, and then add another 50% on top of that :cry:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quinten Uijldert - Northants AO said:

I have just worked out the cost of my engine change...  You basically double your purchase price, and then add another 50% on top of that :cry:

Yup, that's why most say, depending on how much "new" stuff you buy, and whether you go down the bike induction route or Jenvey/Omex etc, it will typically cost £2000 +/- £500 on top of the cost of the engine!!

You will always get one or two that do it for way, way less, but when you start to ask, you generally find either they or their friends, have access to huge amounts of old cars etc in their back yards/gardens/handy field from which to rob parts, and that again, they either have, or have access to, via a mate, a very well equipped workshop and the ability to fabricate pretty much anything needed.

For us mere mortals, it costs!

It can get even dearer if you need to start replacing body panels because of holes for air filters and exhausts etc in the wrong place.

An engine swap is a really fascinating, enjoyable project to take on if you like these things, and many of us do, but even in the distorted world of Westfield economics, they don't make much financial sense for most of us. But then, that ignores the emotional investment of blood, sweat and tears many of us have in our cars.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the cheapest upgrades.   Much more comfortable.IMG_0149.thumb.JPG.c812500a696a19e827725a2432ab6434.JPG

• Like 1