Thinking the Un-Thinkable…

John K

How about a TVR? The thrill of a westfield with a touch more comfort. 

I'm a Porsche fan too, David (xtr2turbo) is right to warn about the engines though, you just need to do a lot of research and buy right. I think you're in a sensible thought process and at the end of the day it only has to be the right decision for you.

Marto and I have just bought a cheap Mazda mx5 - MK1 1.6 - including the cost of a cage, bucket seats, alloy wheels and tyres, new rear brake calipers and pads all around, we're into a total cost of £270 each. Just did a trackday at Bedford on Saturday and it was the most fun I've ever had, such a rewarding driver's car. If I were you, I'd be tempted to take a punt on a very cheap one on eBay with a little MOT remaining, go and hoon it about for a while and then make a decision. You won't be scratching that Porsche itch but you might save yourself a small fortune.

• Like 1

Honda S2000 would be my choice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

Honda S2000 would be my choice

Was just thinking that as I'd just re-read an article about used S2000s

the other thing I would add is that part of the Westi appeal is the closer to the element open top element, would a coupe give you that.  

Just to counter argue S2000 - I ran one for 3 years back when they were new(ish) and even back then it never really felt very special. It handled ok and was quickish, but didnt really excel in any area for me. And it was hard to drift. ;)

• Like 1

MX5

I've got both a westy and an MX5. Only now use the MX5  on  the road. Light steering, easy to drive, lots of fun for not much money. Tried all and ended up with the MX5. Not the first time I've had one.

Any versions of 5 will be loads of fun and I've now a tidy mk1 but seriously tempted by a Mk3 and one of Blinks superchargers at around 300 hp.

Have a go in one !

16 hours ago, RussH said:

How about a TVR? The thrill of a westfield with a touch more comfort. 

It's bizarre how Westie ownership 'resets' your baseline of 'hassle free motoring' so much that a TVR is considered the 'sensible option' :laugh:

Just now, John K said:

It's bizarre how Westie ownership 'resets' your baseline of 'hassle free motoring' so much that a TVR is considered the 'sensible option' :laugh:

yeah a TVR is really not a sensible option as far as running costs are concerned - however they are in many cases at least going up in value

2 hours ago, RussH said:

Just to counter argue S2000 - I ran one for 3 years back when they were new(ish) and even back then it never really felt very special. It handled ok and was quickish, but didnt really excel in any area for me. And it was hard to drift. ;)

Forgot to mention, the girls loved it though John, if you want to use it as a tool to bang a goldigger. 

• Like 1

OK... This might be the quickest U-turn in forum history but...

I had fell out of love with the Westie experience because it was all getting hard work. And I was still needing to sort the gear box, sort the choppy ride etc. All of those jobs were frankly beyond me seeing how changing 4 wheels takes all day and a long lie down afterwards.

That's why I started to investigate other fun options that were hassle free.

But having done some reading I would be looking at dropping at least £5k to £10k over and above the two cars (Westie and ST) plus some potentially high ownership costs.

Having spoken to Grizlee at length (when we should have been working) I reckon if I called BTEC (30 mins away) and said "come collect it on a trailer, do the gear box, shocks and get it through the MoT and charge me what you like" I would still have change from £2k

So yes I would be dodging the mechanical aspects of Westie ownership, but if I wanted to play with spanners I will go buy some Meccano. I just want to drive the damn thing.

And the thought process continues (and I'm prepared to be corrected) in that the total yearly Porker owner ship costs for stuff like fuel, tires, insurance etc would totally pay for somebody else to do the spannering.

And for all of Clarkson's comments that "you're not a petrol head till you've owned an Alfa"... Sorry but a Westie / Caterham sort of car make you WAY more of a petrol head than an Alfa.

Plus if you have a Xflow, you literally are a petrol head cos it spits the stuff at you.

So.. thoughts..? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RussH said:

Forgot to mention, the girls loved it though John, if you want to use it as a tool to bang a goldigger. 

Sorry, but simultaneously owning a Westie, TVR, Lotus and Caymen would be cheaper and less hassle than the above..! :laugh:

• Like 1

well if its just the spannering that's the issue then yeah keep it and pay for someone else to do it - you might even find a fellow local enthusiast looking to earn a bit on the side which could work well both ways (for the bits an pieces)

must admit excluding upgrades my westy has probably been the lowest cost of ownership car I have ever had - and the most rewarding

I must have done maybe 40 or more track days (plus lots of road mileage) and the only problem I had was a rear wheelhub bearing failure at the end of a track day (nut came loose which caused the issue) - other than that it has just been tyres, oil changes, brake pads (and the upgrades which were down to choice)

Try running a tin top with depreciation and heavier car running costs for the same sort of money

Go on keep it you know you want to :t-up::laugh:

• Like 1

I started Westfield ownership in 2003 in a joint ownership with my son. He had a history of unwise car choices so I suggested we get something hairier for weekends and he could buy a decent tintop for his daily use. Fast forward to now and I've still got the Westfield in the garage and it sits on the trailer that carries it to track days. The other half of the garage has his Z4M Coupé (so much  for the sensible tintop) in it awaiting shipment to the antipodes where he now lives! We stopped using the Westfield on the road in about 2010 and my Z3 and X-Type sit outside until his Z4MC leaves. Back in 2009 I decided that whilst I love the Westfield it is simply not a realistic means of transport for any proper journeys, and I bought my Z3 for top-down pleasure trips instead. It's only a 2.2 Sport but the six-pot engine sounds beautiful and 99% of the time the 170bhp is more than enough. The X-Type is a carefully chosen useful family estate car. A lifetime of spannering out of financial necessity has satisfied any desire that might remain to fiddle, and the occasional track day doesn't seem to do anything untoward to a fairly basic Westfield. So why sell it?