The West Coast of Scotland Trip 2017. Dates booked.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

That's ok Ali.

We can sort meet times for the battlefield when I see you all on the Thursday for the trip to Durness.

My daughter will be riding shotgun with me on the Thursday. So that's 2 pies while we're in Lochinver, and 4 to take back with us. That's £30 on pies! OMG!

Looking forward to this. I just wish I could do the whole trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David-hrv said:

That's ok Ali.

We can sort meet times for the battlefield when I see you all on the Thursday for the trip to Durness.

My daughter will be riding shotgun with me on the Thursday. So that's 2 pies while we're in Lochinver, and 4 to take back with us. That's £30 on pies! OMG!

Looking forward to this. I just wish I could do the whole trip.

There's always next year 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

If you like battlefields.

This is somewhere I have always fancied a walk too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highbridge,_Scotland

Its just near this memorial that I call in at every year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Memorial

They both look fantastic, we defo want to see the Commado memorial.

• Like 1

Detailed below is my proposed route down from the Orkneys to get to Killin.

I would rather go the west coast than go the east coast.

The route takes us through Avimore but from here I want to get to Killin whilst avoiding as much of the A9 as I can.

I like the road from Tummel Bridge to Killin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can avoid the A9 and go on "pretty" roads

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 21.04.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 21.04.55.png

• Like 2

Here is a route for one of our days when we stay in Killin.

This will be a nice steady day as we will have done a lot of driving by this stage and will be a nice day to recover.

Comments welcome.

KILLIN LOOP.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO said:

Is this what you meant Gary.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 21.32.14.png

This is the route @Garyt suggested we use on the Tuesday to drive to Killin :yes:

• Like 1

Ali if your doing the funicular up cairngorm in the morning ( and you really should) then on heading back towards Aviemore turn right at coylumbridge follow the road through nethybridge to the T junction at the smoke house, turn right around the long left handed and then right onto the Tomintoul road and then follow the route south

• Like 1

David glad we will be able to meet up en route , I missed the aboyne run as dad isn't keeping to well at the moment, how's the engine?

see you soon

Sorry to hear your dad's not well Gary. Hope he improves soon.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with everybody again, even if it's just for a couple of blasts along the way. The Aboyne run last weekend was great and everybody really enjoyed it.

The car's running great and I've now softened the suspension (after Aboyne) which has helped the handling somewhat. The engine tapping is getting quieter (curiously!) the more miles I put on it (though the exhaust is noisy).

Anyway, see you all 2 weeks tomorrow. I'll meet you at the Skye bridge. I'll be listening for the sound of Rhubarb's supercharger!

Ali, Geoffrey and Bob - I can recommend Gary's suggestion of the route via Braemar. You'll be going over 3 great ski areas (Cairngorm, Lecht and Glenshee) and the roads are brilliant. 

David

• Like 1

Will be great to meet up again David.

I also reckon you will see Garys black smoke long before you hear the whine.....I don't mean his whinging either.

Do you remember last year when we where laying in the road on the Lecht for the "arty shots"

We will be at the Skye bridge early as we will be going up over the bridge on our way to Durness.

How early can you get there.

Will your lad be joining us again.

• Like 1

Hi Buttercup, Custard &  burnt Rhubarb (with the black smoke?). We need a name for Bob's car.....Gorse? Who else is going?

Yes, I do remember some idiot spreadeagled on the road with a camera while cars were trying to avoid him (or hit him!) Don't know who that could be!

Roughly, how early is "early"? I could save time by meeting at Lochcarron and then we can go up the Bealach. We'll go with you as far as Lochinver (pie time!). 

My daughter wants to ride shotgun this time, as James has his final exams (for his degree in Maths & Physics) a few days later, so he'll be studying.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1