A Guide to Fighting Fires in Kitcars

Rab (bombero) Reid

Thanks everyone - that Lidl extinguisher is good value, but I now have a shiny new 1kg powder extinguisher from Screwfix.  Good tip on keeping powder extinguishers from settling.  I looked at the fire safety stick and might get one for the Westfield once built, as space will be at a premium, but their price does make you think twice.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

.. if they're not agitated every so often, the powder can clump together and stick, so that they don't really work properly when needed.

Way back in the early days of dry powder as an extinguishing agent, there was a tendency for the powder to clump, more commonly in the stored pressure type (extinguishers with a small pressure gauge), opposed to the gas cartridge type extinguisher.

Note, for our kit cars, you won't see gas cartridge type fire extinguishers in such small sizes like the 1kg.

Later on in fire extinguisher evolution, a 'slick' additive was added to the powder that stopped it from clumping, so all modern (BS EN) approved dry powder extinguishers won't have the same issue.

Dave, what may have occurred in your experience was either, some of the stored pressure had dissipated, not providing the initial 'agitation' to successfully propel the powder or, that if you tended to refill your own extinguishers, that it was done with old powder or in a damp or humid atmosphere (day).

• Like 1

I run a fire marshal plumbed in system as mine is a race as well as a road car.

Its a 2.25 litre system with 3 nozzles one in the footwell and one at the fuel injection system, one at the oil cooler, It has to be serviced every 2 years £50. max life 6 years

Looking at whats around, 4.5 litre systems aren't too expensive so it will certainly be an upgrade next

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I’ve been told about these fire sticks (not an Amazon one!) as opposed to a traditional extinguisher. Has any one got an opinion for use in the kit car? 

https://birchperformance.co.uk/products/fire-safety-stick-50-seconds?variant=39253858517101&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZp1yD1yQPTouYAmvkvpVLu7f3gVxGwlWuZkYiuid5jRC4DmVHUWruDhoC78YQAvD_BwE

46 minutes ago, Benrobson2999 said:

I’ve been told about these fire sticks (not an Amazon one!) as opposed to a traditional extinguisher. Has any one got an opinion for use in the kit car? 

https://birchperformance.co.uk/products/fire-safety-stick-50-seconds?variant=39253858517101&gclid=CjwKCAjwq7aGBhADEiwA6uGZp1yD1yQPTouYAmvkvpVLu7f3gVxGwlWuZkYiuid5jRC4DmVHUWruDhoC78YQAvD_BwE

been thinking of these myself, i do carry a conventional one but the new tech makes this far safer to have in the car not to mention lighter.

i found this video a while back, and i need to do some research into the science of how these work, because i believe they do not rob a fire of oxygen which was always the first thing to do when a fire occured. I do have a few halon ones in the garage, but i am aware these are illegal to deploy these days, but if my cars on fire, well what would you do... anyway vid below.