• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Potential newbie!

Ianboom

Hi certainly if you can buy a donor and have the room to strip it and store all the bits this is a lot cheaper than sourcing individual bits and pieces, I had to take the latter route due to space constraints, so know how it adds up :( (stopped counting long ago :)  )

Edit; spotted a mk2 1.8s for £500 so would fit the bill. It has ABS does this stop me from using the hubs? Do all mk2 1.8s have an issue with bonnet clearance or is the VVC a later engine?

The later cars without ABS use exactly the same hubs as those with ABS so it's not an issue.

It's only the VVC cars which are tight with bonnet clearance, they have some extra gubbins on top of the cam cover which the Non-VVC cars don't have.

I've had a look at the photos in the add and it doesn't have the extra sticking out bit on the inlet cam front, it looks like a mk1. It's a 2001 'Y'.

I may have a look later, it's about 40 miles away!

Post a link to advert then we can have a look

Wasn't sure whether I was allowed!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/mazda/mazda-mx5-mk2-1.8s-mohair-hood-hardtop-needs-welding-for-mot-fsh-owned-9-yrs./1160180922

Not sure whether the link will work, you may need to copy and paste it-sorry!

Let me know if it's worth a punt as it'll cost me £100 to get it transported over here.

He wants £500 without the hard top.

Edited by Ianboom

That is definitely a Mk 2

In the engine bay you can tell because the inlet manifold is made in 2 parts

Also the Cam Angle Sensor is on the front of the rocker cover

Mk2 2 1.8 engine is 140bhp against the Mk1 being 130bhp

You should recoup money for the following:-

Seats

Carpets possibly

Roll Hoop

Soft top

Some of the bodywork

I reckon with a fair wind, you would recover most of that £500

You would need a CAT exhaust for your build, which isnt a problem

Almost looks too nice! You'll make your money back on that I suspect. Soft top looks in good condition. As do body panels

That is definitely a Mk 2

In the engine bay you can tell because the inlet manifold is made in 2 parts

Also the Cam Angle Sensor is on the front of the rocker cover

Mk2 2 1.8 engine is 140bhp against the Mk1 being 130bhp

Is this the VVC engine I'd have to modify the Westfield bonnet on?

Going to look at it at 2pm!

That'll be me committed to the build.

Have you bought it then?

Lol! Looked at car, been looking at fish tanks, then got dragged on a 4 mile round walk to Asda to buy some fresh bread-but they'd sold out by the time we got there, so I walked home with 5 bottles of real ale clinking in my back pack!

Bought the car for £480 without the hard top or winter tyres he had. It was a nice car, a shame to break it, but the body had got some rust areas that probably had rot underneath.

I've arranged a company to deliver it for £75 and was chuffed with that, especially as they'll deliver it Sunday evening.

Well looks like i'm committed to a build now, so am looking forward to Stoneleigh-looks like I won't be there until Monday though.

I need to sort the wife's aquarium which involves strengthening the joists under the floor boards and moving a radiator. While I have the system drained I'm fitting a Fernox filter to the heating system to. It's all planned for next weekenf as I'm off Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue. I have a week of at Whitsun so can start the strip then!

Ian

• Like 1