Can the words "Diesel" and "Sport" ever be used together..?

John K

After the rules were tweaked to favour diesels  ???  ???  ???

i'm not sure how Pete, for the last few years they've been tweeking the rules to favour the petrols. The diesels are forced to run much smaller tanks and have a much reduced fuel flow rate. If everyrhing were equall they would walk it easily.

I agree with your sentiments John, and I drive a 330D M-sport as a daily. I'd have the V8 M3 OR even a 330i in a heartbeat if I didn't travel so much. It's nothing to do with diesels being faster or slower, they just don't drive like a petrol and I find them far less rewarding to drive.

• Like 1

Scott - a fast car does not a sporty car make. 

My GTD was "fast", but it didnt provide the involving and enjoyable thrill of driving of a sports car. 

And a petrol engine doesn't necessarily make a sporty car, either - it's the chassis.  And the driver.  Those cars I linked to all have fine sporty (not sports, sporty) chassis that can really hussle in real world driving conditions.

If you're talking about SMALL cars, then I agree, diesel engines in hatchbacks are wrong for sportiness.  If you're talking larger cars, you should take a ride in a high-powered Audi Quattro diesel sometime on A and B roads.

His Nibs never mentioned car size in his OP. :p

i'm not sure how Pete, for the last few years they've been tweeking the rules to favour the petrols. The diesels are forced to run much smaller tanks and have a much reduced fuel flow rate. If everyrhing were equall they would walk it easily.

By limiting the rev limit and I'm also sure they do not allow turbos on petrol - something we see happening on daily drivers now in order to provide much better economy :)

I agree by the way, John- I find the diesel a GT not an ST. I like it but not in the same way.

• Like 1

Actually I don't think "Sporty" does mean better.

I think "Sporty" is a state of mind and how the drive makes you feel.

For my two cents, ragging a 1.0 Fiesta L down a country road is a more sporty drive than doing the same trip in an uber efficient/merciless 3.0D 4WD Audi.

The Audi will arrive so much sooner, but I bet the driver of the Fiesta has the higher pulse rate... And bigger grin...

• Like 1

So my question to you is this: If you define a slower Westfield as a sports car, what's your definition of "sport"?  Being slower, noisier and less comfo

Actually I would argue that point, as per my previous post, its a state of mind, not a physics lesson

I'm currently waiting for the penny to drop... :d

And you still haven't defined "sport". :p

And you still haven't defined "sport". :p

'Sport' usually a poverty spec special edition with a couple of cheap stickers  :getmecoat:  :getmecoat:

• Like 1

By limiting the rev limit and I'm also sure they do not allow turbos on petrol - something we see happening on daily drivers now in order to provide much better economy :)

no last years winning Porsche was a Petrol Turbo

What the hell am I missing..???

And nothing bigger than an A4 / 3 Series can be sporty. Medium to larger cars are brutally effective, but sporty, not sure...

What the hell am I missing.. ???

Apart from your marbles? :p

• Like 1

Apart from your marbles? :p

Nice one!!

Still think he's right though  :d