Internal garage vs utilities

B.RAD

You might need to help me out with that suggestion, how would a different dryer help? Condensers are the best, no? A vented dryer, even if I cut a big hole in the wall to vent it, still puts out more moisture into its surroundings than a condenser, right?

Right! That's certainly my experience when going from vented to condensing.

• Like 1

You might need to help me out with that suggestion, how would a different dryer help? Condensers are the best, no? A vented dryer, even if I cut a big hole in the wall to vent it, still puts out more moisture into its surroundings than a condenser, right?

Mine is vented to outside, there's no moisture build up inside at all as all the air is dumped outside....

the garage also hosts our boiler, water tank, washing machine and condenser tumble dryer, eek. I really don't like the idea of storing my Westy and any other future classics in the garage alongside a regularly used tumble dryer...

I must say I really dont understand this.

The boiler is I presume a room-sealed gas affair, so its effectively outside already, at very most you will get a small slightly intermittent source of heat. Like a frost stat heater.

You don't say if the water tank is the hot tank or the cold tank. But again, neither should leak, a hot cylinder will be air tight anyway, and a cold header should have a close fitting lid and also be basically airtight and a non issue.

The best sort of dryer is a conventional drier with a pipe to outside, to get the moister out for the smallest amount of electrical energy and simplest/cheapest machine. This will not make the room damp assuming there isnt a hole in the thing, as its going outside. If you have a damp issue with a conventional drier you haven't installed it right!

If for some reason is not practicable to get a hose outside the an condenser drier is an option, you say yours is a condenser-dryer, so again this should condense the water back again emit largely dry air, so also be a no issue, it just cost more than it needed to! If it is an issue, worse case you can route the outlet of that outside, or swap it for a conventional drier.

All garages needs some ventilation anyway, as the car will come in wet sometimes, the walls will not be totally impermeable, etc.

There should be no need for a dehumidifier in a normal, suitably ventilated, garage. Your storing a car not bronze-age royal artefacts.

Rant over.

Welcome to your garage.

Daniel

Lol, bad week?

The beauty of t'internet and t'forums is that one can ask stupid questions and benefit from the collective wisdom of the many.

Boiler is an oil-fired affair which feeds the hot water tank that neighbours it. Not worried about any of that particularly but it takes up tinkering space which is annoying. The garage is vented, but only by the door and the typical gaps that accompany a standard up and over canopy door. The tumble dryer is a condenser because there is a mains drain for the washing machine and no external vent. When I go in there while it's on, there's a definite increase in humidity from the warm air expelled - if it's just warm air then that's fine, but if it's humid then it's a problem. This is relevant to both vented and condenser driers.

I asked the question about whether something should be done about it or not because I don't know the answer to that & given that internal garages, possibly with utilities in them, must be reasonably common, hoped that someone might have some good advice. Given what I've spent on this ruddy car, pretty close to the value of Bronze Age artefacts actually, the last thing I want to do is bring it into an environment that might destroy it.

So a humidifier it is and when the garage is used to store my dad's mint mk111 cooper s, I can relax in the knowledge it is safe and sound.

Thanks for the input one and all, you're a great bunch! :t-up:

The reason for the comment about Bronze Age artefacts is not down to the value, its about what they need to been stored. Cars get driven outside, they get wet, they are designed for it! Obviously you want to make sure your not keeping them in a damp place all the time and I totally get that, but as long as it is ventilated and the sun and rain is off them your doing what you need to.

The other aspect of it, which I personally consider quite important, is that a dehumidifier uses a load of electricity, where as a suitable vent in the end gable if far more ecological. From the sound of it, while an extra vent would likely be a good thing, your garage like most is not air tight enough for a dehumidifier to be appropriate anyway. You will just be sucking water out of the air in the garage, and dipping it the otherside of the garage door (directly or otherwise) to come back again!

While some may feel talking about environmental impact on a sports car forum is silly, but I don't feel it is. 

Daniel

• Like 1

I can't understand how a conventional dryer, vented to outside**, can cause internal dampness unless as dhutch said, it's not installed correctly ?

**done correctly, not just a pipe stuck out of an open window..

• Like 1