Geoffrey's Jaunt. West Coast of Scotland Tour. June 2016

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

booked into Glencoe on the Wednesday should get there for tea time .

That's great news and thanks for coming.

The big carpark is round the back and it's away from prying eyes.

Well just booked my final 3 nights in Killin.

The 6th - 7th and 8th of June

I have booked a double room with a view of the falls. :d

Here is the hotel link.

http://www.fallsofdochartinn.co.uk/

So these are the hotels and the dates I have booked for our trip.

I have booked and paid for hotels in the following areas on the following dates. 

• The Glencoe Inn. 30th and 31st of May and the 1st of June. Lovely food, big carpark and petrol garage next door. Have stayed here a few times and really enjoy it.

http://www.crerarhot...the-glencoe-inn

• Cullin View on the Isle of Skye. Booked for two nights. 2nd and 3rd of June. loads of parking and a relaxed atmosphere and you have the run of the place. Has a laundry and drying room you are free to use.

http://www.booking.c...pe=total;ucfs=1

• Hillside B&B in Durness. 4th and 5th June. 24 hour petrol pump and my favourite place in the world. Loch Eriboll. I have stayed here before and the owners are really friendly and welcoming. 

http://www.hillside-durness.co.uk/

You good man.

I only go the other way as I like the bottom bit of the trip.

Looks like a plan is coming together. :d

Just realised that the dates have moved from your original post, or I just read it wrong (thought it said July!) which means that this trip coincides with my Alpine Adventure from 27th May to 4th June, so will be blatting around the high alpine roads with 5 other Westies I'm afraid. http://www.grossglockner.at/en/hochalpenstrasse/

Morning.

Yes you are correct.

When I submitted the original article to the magazine the trip was planned for July.

However this had to change a couple of weeks ago due to work so it has gone a bit tits up with the dates.

I was hoping people would see this thread or contact me and it would be pointed out.

I am really sorry if it has mucked you about but your trip sounds great.

I would have loved to have come with you.

Not mucked me about at all Geoffrey, just a pity to miss out on a decent border raid!

My Alps trip kind of snowballed from an invite by my biking buddies to join them on their annual Euro trip. I mentioned this to a few of the lads I usually meet up with and then before you know it six cars are booked on the ferry!

Turns out that we now outnumber the bikes as most of them ended up doing Vietnam (again) instead.

Should be fun though!

Hi Geoffrey so just to recap. Your planning on traveling up to the Glencoe Inn on Bank holiday Monday May 30th?

The reason I'm asking is the misses is struggling with days off work, so trying to work around her!

Are you doing day trips from the Glencoe Inn on the Tuesday and Wednesday; and then departing for further North on Thursday?

Thanks. 

Hi Bloggy.

Yes that is correct.

travelling up on the bank holiday Monday....until you said that though I did not realise it was a bank holiday.

I will be doing day trips every single day and I have been working on my routes.

The idea of the hotels is just a place to sleep.

I intend to be out straight after breakfast and out pottering till bedtime or there about's. :d ....don't let that put you off.

I don't see the point of going to just sit and read a book type thing.

Tell the Mrs to throw a sickie. :barf:  I know I should not suggest that but it will be worth it.

This will be my proposed route to start to come back down from Durness for the last 3 nights in Killin.

I have tried to stay centrally in the hope it will enable any of the Scotland crew to take us for a ride out. :d

Durness%20to%20Killin_zpslej8vqdx.jpg

Great News.

Bloggy and his wife have confirmed for the first three day's of the trip so its more company for us and Ziplob. :d  :d:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:  

Here is a steady route for the first day following the long drive up from the first day.

The route is not set in stone and is open for discussion / comments.

Leave Glencoe and go down past the Three Sisters before heading down Glen Etive. This is a road that is a dead end but its beautiful and its where they filmed Skyfall.

This road you will travel at about 10mph as its breathtaking.

IMG_2091_zps9ndydner.jpg

Google the spot where James Bond was stood at the side of his car. I know the place but was stood in totally the wrong place to take the picture.

IMG_2279_zpss8gtp3lq.jpg

Then from here we can go to the Nevis Range and go up the mountain in the gondoals.

Excuse the picture as its taken through the glass.

IMG_2397_zps5zsznbxr.jpg

Then its over to Glenfinnan.

IMG_2417_zps81pru7op.jpg

IMG_2420_zpsxgjfc6wg.jpg

Then its a head back to Glencoe or we go and explore.

The pictures are from my trip last year but its a lovely little route and we can still do more driving in the day if you wish.

This is the route for the second day.

I have taken us down the side of Loch Tay off the main road so we can look for red squirrels.

Killin is lovely with Dochart falls straight outside the pub window and we will stop here for a drink.

Glencoe%20to%20Ben%20Lawers%20loop_zpswu.

I have done these roads a few times and I never get sick of them.

We can fill in the rest of the day pottering about. Just point the car somewhere and go. I am sure we will get back to the hotel ok.

Here is a bit about Ben Lawers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Lawers

This is a route that we can do on the second day if anyone fancies more driving and a longer route that the one above.

Just conscious that those staying for three nights will only have two full days driving from Glencoe as base so trying to offer a few options for discussion.

This drive does cover some great roads.

Glencoe%20to%20Applecross%20to%20Inverne

Well for me the first two ideas are perfect. Gives a good split between driving and sight seeing. I think the Skyfall James Bond trip will be a big hit with my better half. Although she might be looking to see Daniel Craig upon arrival. She will just have to make do with me. :down:  :getmecoat: 

I'm sure the misses would not thank me for the third option. I can hear her now saying, "all we have done today, is spend the day in the car!!"

Now while this maybe might be my idea of a great day, not sure my other half would agree :d

Looks like we have a plan.

Don't forget a camera.

You and the wife can play 007 on the night.

You can be laid on top making love in a sophisticated spy like manner and the Mrs can look deep into your eyes and say.

Roger. Moore. Roger, Moore.

• 1 month later...

This is the route for the first full day in Scotland and relates to post number 70 in this thread.

Glencoe%20to%20Glen%20Etive%20to%20ben%2