Geoffrey's Jaunt. West Coast of Scotland Tour. June 2016

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

If time....

From Ullapool.

Highly recommend heading to Achnahaird Beach past Stac Pollaidh

Then up the coast to Lochinver where you should partake of excellent pies at the Lochinver Larder Coffee Shop.

Before heading back along the A837 (to Ardvreck Castle) and back North on the A894 towards Durness

Of course the downside of this will be missing the views of Cul Mor, Suilven and Canisp from Knocken Crag North from A835.

This is our normal route for travelling up on the first day.

First%20day%20route%20to%20Glencoe_zpsdc

Hi Geoffrey, I assume you choose this first road section for a reason but if it was me, I'd head up the A1M and then the A68 to Edinburgh, M9 past Stirling, Callander etc. I don't enjoy long sections of motorway in the Westie and the A68 is a more enjoyable route than M6/M74. Also means you miss out Glasgow and the annoyingly slow run up past Loch Lomond.

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Geoffrey, I assume you choose this first road section for a reason but if it was me, I'd head up the A1M and then the A68 to Edinburgh, M9 past Stirling, Callander etc. I don't enjoy long sections of motorway in the Westie and the A68 is a more enjoyable route than M6/M74. Also means you miss out Glasgow and the annoyingly slow run up past Loch Lomond.

Matt

Even when we go M6, we prefer the Stirling/Callander route

Matt, I suggested a wee detour to Aberfoyle, Dukes Pass, Kilmahog, Lochernhead and Crianlarich :-)

• Like 1

Yes, agreed.  Avoid Loch Lomond.  Stirling to Crianlarich is a far better route for a Westy, and gives options to detour as Scottish Westy says.

High Bridge is just along the road from me.  It is a 15-20 min walk from the Commando memorial.  Probably sign-posted from the car park, I haven't noticed.  I go over the stile that is opposite the entrance to The Old Pines Restaurant.  This is a few yards down the road after turning left out of the car park.

With the exception of the Cuillin Hills Hotel (quite expensive), the other Hotels in Portree are rather limited on parking space, if they have any at all.  Most rely on people parking in the public car parks around the village.  The Marmalade is the only other one I can think of with half reasonable parking.

I hope to be able join in some of the routes if my Westy rebuild is completed by then.

• Like 1

Hello All

Thanks for all the comments above and I am going to take note of all your comments and over the next couple of nights I will revise my routes.

I have booked and paid for hotels in the following areas on the following dates. 

• The Glencoe Inn. 30th and 31st of May and the 1st of June. Lovely food, big carpark and petrol garage next door. Have stayed here a few times and really enjoy it.

http://www.crerarhotels.com/the-glencoe-inn

• Cullin View on the Isle of Skye. Booked for two nights. 2nd and 3rd of June. loads of parking and a relaxed atmosphere and you have the run of the place. Has a laundry and drying room you are free to use.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/cuillin-view-bed-and-breakfast.en-us.html?aid=318615;label=New_English_EN_GBIE_19114759465-mRrCG3KqQexVWI3NTkblKQS75168947665%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg;sid=f1b8ce4c4b86a039b340943c213aa6b5;dcid=1;dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=469e507171d892f3fe18d37a129eae8b9f1c430dX1;type=total;ucfs=1

• Hillside B&B in Durness. 4th and 5th June. 24 hour petrol pump and my favourite place in the world. Loch Eriboll. I have stayed here before and the owners are really friendly and welcoming. 

http://www.hillside-durness.co.uk/

I am still working on hotels for the way back down.

Matt

Hello team.

I have always travelled via Hawes as it is a nice drive over for us but I know what you mean about the motorway section. However we were grateful for this section last year as we sheltered under the overhead bridges from the rain. :d

I trust this is the route you mean.

I am well up for trying different routes.

I am also happy to travel on a route that picks up the most people.

Hunmanby%20to%20Glencoe%20via%20Edinburg

• Like 2

Matt, I suggested a wee detour to Aberfoyle, Dukes Pass, Kilmahog, Lochernhead and Crianlarich :-)

I have just googled the route and we have been on some of those roads before.

Great advice.

:t-up:  :t-up:

This is a great place to visit for a stretch of the legs and a picnic as we travel up north..

Corrieshalloch may mean ‘Ugly Hollow’ in Gaelic, but there is nothing ugly about Corrieshalloch Gorge National Nature Reserve, a deep tree-shrouded chasm and beauty spot that cuts through a Highland wilderness rich in flora and fauna. Corrieshalloch is a slot gorge, or box-canyon, that was cut as far back as 2.6million years ago by Ice Age glacial meltwater. The River Droma forges through the gorge, dramatically dropping 100 metres in just 1.25km through a series of waterfalls, including the thunderous 45m high Falls of Measach.

Certificate of Excellence
2015 Winner
CoE2015_WidgetAsset-14348-2.png

A brace of trails opens up the gorge to walkers, with a Victorian suspension bridge built by Sir John Fowler (one of the chief engineers behind the Forth Bridge), a jaw-dropping viewing platform and a viewpoint on hand to help visitors appreciate the full drama of Corrieshalloch Gorge, one of the wonders of the West Highlands.

It’s a dizzying and exhilarating experience to look down on the torrent of water plunging 46m (150ft) over the Falls of Measach from the gently swaying suspension bridge. Corrieshalloch Gorge is one of the natural wonders of the Highlands and not to be missed, especially after periods of rain.

Care should be taken not to approach the gorge edge except where indicated.

I have received a few PM,s asking for more details of proposed routes.

I will try to get these op over the next few days.

All open for discussion and not set in stone.

Here is a loop from Durness to John O Groats and back.

I have driven the roads before but only done Durness to John O Groats in Buttercup. The rest was in my tintop

John%20O%20Groats%20Loop_zpsfupsmqyb.png

I have also been asked which route north I will be taking.

I am happy to go either way as shown in two maps earlier in the thread and will go the route that picks up most people.

I have also been asked about things to see or do, so I will start to post up some proposals for discussion / comments. 

Hello.

Cullins view B&B.

Cuillin View Bed and Breakfast

Set 5 miles from Sconser, Cuillin View Bed and Breakfast offers a garden, terrace and views of the Red and Black Cuillin mountain ranges.

We've stayed in the Cullin Hills Hotel, it's very nice...!

Hello team.

I have always travelled via Hawes as it is a nice drive over for us but I know what you mean about the motorway section. However we were grateful for this section last year as we sheltered under the overhead bridges from the rain. :d

I trust this is the route you mean.

I am well up for trying different routes.

I am also happy to travel on a route that picks up the most people.

Hunmanby%20to%20Glencoe%20via%20Edinburg

That's much better - I might be able to join in now!

When I spotted the original motorway route, I did think it was a bit dull - as well as miles away from Geordieland!

That route takes you within a couple of miles of my house, so thumbs up!

• Like 2