Tyre question re Toyo T1R

kmd1154

T1R are a mid range,ok road tyre.

try something like a Dunlop Sport or Michelin Pilot and they are way better road tyres.

De04 interested to hear your opinion with 888 on 13 inch rims vs r1r on 15 inch for track ? I am currently on 15 inch with r1r but thinking if getting 888 on 13 inch ? How much more grip on 888 ? Ever done back to back in terms of lap time ? Cheers Paul

Only done 1 trackday since ive had them both,in the morning session it was wet so put the R1R's on and was so impressed how much more grip they had over the T1R's (T1R's ok in the dry absolutely useless in the wet on track) Afternoon session was dry so put R888's on another step up with grip it gives you so much more confidence fast cornering and heavy breaking. I have not timed both on a dry day but i am at Snetterton on Monday

nice one! it would be good to see back to back comparison! 

I am on 15inch R1R right now and find following other cars on track running 888 of other pure track tyres that i am losing out in the corners just due to grip (braking line choice etc the same). 

I bought a set of 13inch rims to try but i out them on and now can't get the car down my steep drive so i may have to get 888's in 15inch! :) 

Cheers Paul

As I was stepping into my Westy today a chap approached, said 'nice car, what make is it?' and so began a conversation I suspect many many of you have had over the years. Turns out he runs a small rallye car and owns a Lotus Elise as well. We got to talking about modifications and I mentioned I was wanting to change my tyres for Toyo's . He said he may be able to assist with some advice here as he'd accrued a bit of experience of the brand over the years.

He mentioned the T888's and spoke very highly of them, and he also mentioned the T1R and the R1R, saying that one of them was OK but the other was designed for a higher weight of vehicle and on lightweight sports cars didn't get properly up to temperature so performed less well (on the road, not the track). Problem is, despite me asking him again, I can't remember which one he said was which ! :rolleyes:

So can I ask for views please. Anyone shed some light for me ?

:yes:

You made the fatal mistake of listening to the guy ;)

SO often you get these guys, they come over to look at the car, but then they start going on about their sons rally car or their friends race winning whatever.

Their motivation eludes me, but usually they don't have a bl**** clue what they're talking about, from their mouths pour a mix of half truth and utter nonsense.

• Like 1

You made the fatal mistake of listening to the guy ;)

SO often you get these guys, they come over to look at the car, but then they start going on about their sons rally car or their friends race winning whatever.

Their motivation eludes me, but usually they don't have a bl**dy clue what they're talking about, from their mouths pour a mix of half truth and utter nonsense.

Sad to say, but I sort of agree, it's nice that people do want to share, and the way these funny little cars bring out the best in people like that is great, but my word do you get some weird "information"; I find most of the time it just pays to smile and nod, as you find so much of the techs stuff is either half remembered, mixed up with something else, or just doesn't really apply to something as small and light as a Westfield. (Obviously there are always exceptions!)

nice one! it would be good to see back to back comparison! 

I am on 15inch R1R right now and find following other cars on track running 888 of other pure track tyres that i am losing out in the corners just due to grip (braking line choice etc the same). 

I bought a set of 13inch rims to try but i out them on and now can't get the car down my steep drive so i may have to get 888's in 15inch! :)

Cheers Paul

Quite simple,  use the 15" wheels with R1R's for the road and the 13" wheels for the track, which is exactly what I do.

• Like 1

Quite simple,  use the 15" wheels with R1R's for the road and the 13" wheels for the track, which is exactly what I do.

Exactly what I used to do when I used my car on the road.
  • Like 1

Does the R1R just come in the 1 compound? And if so which is it closer to in comparison to the R888 variants?

Just one compound/one version .... Yes? It's just if I go to tyre leader for example and look up my size of R1R 205 50 15 it gives 2 versions. One at £81 and one at £86......?

In the R888 sense of the word there's only one compound, (which is similar to R888 but unique to R1R's.

I think you'll find the difference is due to different load ratings for the tyres. One set are are rated at 86V and one at 89V

The V means the speed the load is rated at in this case about 149mph, 86 equals 530 kg per tyre and 89 is 580 kg per tyre.

• Like 1

Mmmmmmm thought they were both rated at 86v, but I could be wrong. Either way 86v I take is still well within limits of anything Westfield? An average 600-650 kg car spreads over all 4 corners I assume?

It does, those are loads per tyre.

Ive not hunted for the advert you saw, but I had a similar issue ordering my first set of R1R's, two almost identical adverts, except price in the end all I could spot was the load rating that was different.

• Like 1