Naughty Volkswagen

Fordboi

Euro 6 emissions limits came in September 2015. 

Auto Express magazine 24sep2015 stated the new Euro 6 regulations set different standards for petrol and diesel cars. For diesel cars, they dramatically drop the permitted level of NOx emitted down to a maximum of 80mg/km compared to the 180mg/km level that was required for cars to meet the previous Euro 5 emissions standards. The limit for NOx from petrol cars remains at 60mg/km, the same as for the Euro 5 standard.

Greenpeace reckon, based on 11 million VW diesel cars affected then 1700 premature deaths a year due to increased risk of chronic diseases from air pollution; such as cardiovascular diseases and ischaemic heart disease from the NOx emissions.

are these vags then supposed to be euro 6 emissions? surely a car built and sold under the 5 standards wont have to meet the new standard?

i'd like greenpeace to justify that claim with sound scientific evidence from peer reviewed sources.

On the BBC, it said the cars withdrawn from the showrooms were Euro 5, being sold under a dispensation to get rid of old stock.  So they must really kick out some smoke.

The ecu switches to low NOX when the traction control section reports that the rear wheels aren't going round, but the rest of the car is doing 60.

Wasn't it more sophisticated than that? Looking for specific patterns from the steering input as well as the traction control alongside the regular engine sensors.

Wasn't it more sophisticated than that? Looking for specific patterns from the steering input as well as the traction control alongside the regular engine sensors.

There is a video on the web done by car throttle (in America) where they put a jetta on a rolling road I think they disconnect the traction but can't remember. using a 4wd run and then a 2wd run back to back they recon 15bhp and 30is ftlbs IRC between the two. Car obviously goes into some mode.

Is this test a test that is done each year like our mot?

If the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, how is that a hidden/secret emissions test mode? That looked almost like the two wheel dyno put it into a limp home mode! (I had similar with a petrol 535 once, except as well as the lights, it's dash display actually gave you the limp home message).

• Like 2

If the dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, how is that a hidden/secret emissions test mode? That looked almost like the two wheel dyno put it into a limp home mode! (I had similar with a petrol 535 once, except as well as the lights, it's dash display actually gave you the limp home message).

Spot on mate, but the journalists in America will be lapping this up.

With an it's emissions tested, they would stop the testing if the car was showing warning lights.

Oh drat, it seems my Octavia was made after VW stopped doing whatever it was doing, so I probably wont get recalled for re-mapping. I was hoping to persuade my local Skoda dealer to down load the vRS map onto my engine control unit.