Naughty Volkswagen

Fordboi

I was just thinking the same on the BIK - I wonder if Mitsubishi cheated on the emissions on my plugin hybrid :laugh:

Yes they did as all electric cars forget the emissions of the power stations in the calculations! I cannot for the life of me see how HMRC could try to charge anyone extra. Also the software is fitted to certain cars but I am not sure with or without it if it would meet EU figures? The Californian EPA figures are very low indeed so maybe this is the only time it makes a real difference.

I notice how the Greens have jumped on the bandwagon already

I hope what this does is finally cause a review of  the inadequacies of the tests for CO2 levels and the impact that this has on BIK, car tax, new car tax etc etc.

It's not what a car achieves in a lab that matters and it is also massively impacted on how people drive. 

Just add any tax needed to fuel and be done with it.

AAMOI I had a Skoda Fabia Greenline 2 with the the 1.2 tdi. After having it a year I was asked to hand it back to VAG for a couple of days to be emissions tested as it was the highest mileage one they could find in the UK.

I have no idea what they did with it but they did replace the well worn front brake pads and tightened the handbrake cables ( can't imagine why the stretched ).

I was told it was fairly standard to retest after some mileage.

I don't think VW is being accused of fudging the CO2 figures currently which is what HMRC base their tax rates on. These accusations centre around NOX emissions. I can't see a change in VED bands being a possibility currently.

Unfortunately VW have also stuck all their eggs in one basket with regards to the new Passat. That vehicle is only available with a diesel engine... if consumer confidence is at an all time low and/or they are forced to stop deliveries of their diesel engines until this problem is rectified, the implications could be massive! As if they aren't already. Someone mentioned this possibly being the beginning of the end for diesel vehicles and i have to say i could see that as a possibility.

On the bright side, I bet you'd get a great deal on a new TDI right now!

Ordered a new Vw Golf GTD few months a go suppose to take delivery in October. Will have to keep an eye on this.

You should be ok.  They started using urea last year.  The previous claim was that they could meet emissions targets without the use of urea.  With it, it shouldn't be an issue so the test results from last year onwards *should* be legit.

You should be ok.  They started using urea last year.  The previous claim was that they could meet emissions targets without the use of urea.  With it, it shouldn't be an issue so the test results from last year onwards *should* be legit.

so what your saying is go outside and pee on your VAG? :(

you have to pay good money for that in some places! :getmecoat:

• Like 1

On the bright side, I bet you'd get a great deal on a new TDI right now!

You're dead right there.

I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding existing VW TDI's on the road now, VED banding won't be changed and the cars run just fine as they are, I can't see anyone asking for a re banding as the VED cost can only go up for them.

New VAG cars submitted for Volume car approval will be under strict scrutiny by the powers that be, "Oh yeh Mr Mueller, Is this car  really under the 99gramms per KM"?

My old 2007 X-Type with the Ford 2.2 litre Duratorq engine has no DPF - that's why I chose the age of car I did. I, and almost all diesel owners I reckon, bought mine for one reason only: its low fuel consumption!

The readers' comments on one newspaper website almost all said that they couldn't care less about emissions, it's the economy of fuel usage they want.

Reading one US site, there were a lot of worried owners; what was their concern? They were panicking that if they ever took their car back to a VW dealer for any work/servicing to be done it would automatically get the software patch to fix the emissions to the EPA required levels - and leave them with a horribly underpowered uneconomic car to drive!

It was extremely naughty and biblically stupid to do this, but cheating is endemic in the motor industry for these sorts of stats.

Take small engines with turbos that claim massive mgp.

The test cycle is rigged so the turbo never spools up hence the figures.

Sure the car eventually gets to 56mph, but it takes 3 minutes at a 5% throttle opening to get there...

And why should Joe Public be considering class actions? How have they lost out?

Perhaps if they do end up in a higher tax bad than furrymuff, but the whole "I bought one for the lifestyle eco thing" might wash in California, but in sunny Brum..?

I'd still happily buy one. They are still good cars...

Ironic that Kit cars pre 2000 could be as dirty as you wish but if you want one on a 2015 plate they have to be ultra clean and you have to prove it at IVA :rolleyes: