Naughty Volkswagen

Fordboi

Oh dear, I've just made an offer to buy a Skoda Octavia, with a 2 litre diesel engine!! I hope that isn't a dodgey one.

Question: If VAG diesel cars actually put out more emissions then they're rated at, will the government re-rate all of them for road fund license purposes, meaning people will end up with vastly higher annual bills from the DVLA?  I can smell a class-action lawsuit brewing...

Question: If VAG diesel cars actually put out more emissions then they're rated at, will the government re-rate all of them for road fund license purposes, meaning people will end up with vastly higher annual bills from the DVLA?  I can smell a class-action lawsuit brewing...

This is exactly what crossed my mind - what a can of worms  :(

An if VW are doing it, you can bet the others are to some extent  :oops:

3 years ago the EPA found Hyundai/Kia had falsified their cars gas mileage resulting in a multi-million dollar lawsuit and fines.

I wonder if our American cousins will find any failings with their home car producers; Ford, GM and Fiat/Chrysler or am I being naive?

Look up GM ignition switches and you'll find out!

Click

Well said Scott.

I looked up this story after you pointed it out and seems 51 deaths from faulty ignition switches and $4.1 billion to sort out faults and lawsuits.

Once things go wrong for a global car maker the costs soon add up.

Unclear how many pollution related deaths could be attributed to VW falsifying emissions data but maybe some scientist is working on it.

I wonder if our American cousins will find any failings with their home car producers; Ford, GM and Fiat/Chrysler or am I being naive?

I was looking at a secondhand Vauxhall Insignia TD Eco with zero road tax.  Probably designed by that well known Iranian - Asif.  :d

And if cars are reclassified, will you (or VW) have to pay the road tax arrears.

Has anyone worked out how they did it - might be useful for MOTs.  Even cutting the EGR won't increase polution that much

From what I have seen and heard, VW used software to cheat the system. The USA have a history of going for the money producing juglar  on any foreign company and extract billions in fines.

Now some of the green types in the EU are assuming if VW are doing this other lesser brands will also be cheating in someway, hence requests for an EU investigation to help top up their coffers.

This is going to drag on and on. I too agree car shares will be a good long term bet, but wait a few months and some will really go down and be good for the long term

As soon as I heard the UK/EU were piping up about this I thought "scapegoat"!! Whats the betting this is used as some kind of excuse for EU countries massively missing their pollution targets in a few years. I wonder if we will look back on this in years to come as the start of the end for the diesel car?

Having worked at a Volkswagen dealership for the last 19 years in a job that comes with a company car I am now awaiting a bill from HMRC. Benefit in kind is calculated by using emissions, if these are wrong then in theory I owe thousands in underpaid company car tax!!!!

And I will not be the only one.

Having worked at a Volkswagen dealership for the last 19 years in a job that comes with a company car I am now awaiting a bill from HMRC. Benefit in kind is calculated by using emissions, if these are wrong then in theory I owe thousands in underpaid company car tax!!!!

And I will not be the only one.

Surely if that ever happens, HRMC calculate the BiK from the manufacturers or the approved bodies data so they would be liable not you? I work for a Renault Dealership and have a company car, but luckily Renault make the drivers of company cars the registered keepers to get around taxation issues and charge a small monthly fee so hopefully I won't get any nasties!

As soon as I heard the UK/EU were piping up about this I thought "scapegoat"!! Whats the betting this is used as some kind of excuse for EU countries massively missing their pollution targets in a few years. I wonder if we will look back on this in years to come as the start of the end for the diesel car?

the end has already started for diesels with NOX issues and getting banned in some major city centres. its only a matter of time before motoring become the preserve of the rich and well to do. road tolls will be first mind just to keep us all in our place.

I was just thinking the same on the BIK - I wonder if Mitsubishi cheated on the emissions on my plugin hybrid :laugh: