Naughty Volkswagen

Fordboi

COULD cost them...

I expect to avoid the truth getting in the way of a good story the journo is "calculating" the cost of the recall plus a guesstimate of what the fine may be from the US EPA.

Yeah quite possibly. Still makes me laugh to see the lengths car manufacturers will go to to fudge the numbers. I wonder how much of this is America picking on VW because they're not an American manufacturer though. Same as they've done with Toyota in the past.

Yeah quite possibly. Still makes me laugh to see the lengths car manufacturers will go to to fudge the numbers. I wonder how much of this is America picking on VW because they're not an American manufacturer though. Same as they've done with Toyota in the past.

Shouln't think so as VW have at least one massive factory in the USA manufacturing cars, Passats I think.

Surely this is something that all manufacturers are doing to various degrees to get a good emissions result that is not then representative on the road

I'd be surprised if other manufacturers aren't doing something, maybe not so blatant or extreme, because the permitted maximum emissions on cars in certain states (and Calfornia is one notable example) are so difficult to meet, particularly if the car has a good few miles on it when it comes to MOT time.

Look at a dyno chart of pretty much any standard engine and you see a little dip right at the point where emissions are tested...

• Like 1

The problem here is the test itself not VW

If the test was more realistic they could not engineer the result in the way that they have.

The difference is that the engines on most car manufacturers are tuned to meet the test requirements. So will do the same thing in real world conditions. VW's system detected when the car was being tested and had the emissions control system working overdrive for that period if I understand what I've read correctly.

I read that they were caught out by having the test done on the road with the test equipment in the boot.  The ecu would 'correct' the emissions when it detected that the test was being done in a garage.  I thought that it was the cars destined for Calafornia that were doctored as the emission targets are so low.  Can't think they would do this in Europe can they??

Either way - idiots!