New MSA ROPS regulations

JamesT

So   ---   end of season   ---   start thinking about next.

Road-going 1600cc kit-car (Striker) first registered in 2004.

Cage to diagram K6 - correct height - made for car and fully welded   ---   check  :)

Tube diameter (all tubes) is 38mm  --  by my reading of the regs, I'm ineligible for MSA governed sprints next year   :angry:

Is it a homologated cage?

Is it a homologated cage?

No  --  checked with Raw  --  defo not homologated!

For everyone's info:

Dear David,

In accordance with regulation K1.4.1 Tube dimensions of 38mm diameter are
only permitted for use on ROPS approved prior to 1995.

For that diameter of tubing to be used on a 2004 vehicle the ROPS would
need to have been certified by the manufacturer. If this is to be
considered the manufacturer should contact the Technical Department for
advice on the certification procedure.

For your 1600cc sports car the minimum required ROPS is per K1.6.1 to
drawing K1 or K2. Only these mandatory elements of the ROPS are required to
be of 45mm or 50mm diameter, the other non mandatory members can remain as
38mm.

Best Regards

Michael

*Michael Duncan          *

*Technical Administrator*

Motor Sports Association, Riverside Park, Colnbrook, SL3 0HG

I have to admit that I find it seriously objectionable that a set of (apparently very) arrogant chappies with (apparently absolutely) no understanding of grass roots motorsport have decided (apparently completely arbitrarily) that, if I wish to compete in MSA regulated club motorsport next year I need a new set of tyres (very probably) and I need to have my chassis cut and welded. The likely cost of both will be well over £1000, and the resulting car will be heavier, slower, and less fun to drive.

Somehow, I see a major market opportunity for the likes of Javelin.

• Like 1

I actually think it is a good idea to require basic protection as it scares we seeing a Westfield with the basic factory hoop going up Shelsley but we seem to be going from one extreme to another -  a situation where you could drive with no rollover protection to perfectly adequate cages and rollbars no longer being acceptable.

Surely the weight of the car should also be a factor in their design requirements.

David

• Like 1

Somehow, I see a major market opportunity for the likes of Javelin.

I think if marketed properly or some one make car clubs got behind it then it could be very successful and avoid a number of the MSA issues.  I don't know how many venues they can run at.  I assume the hills and some circuits would not be open as MSA registered but then they seem to run at Blyton?

Their current regs do have some tyre issues to deal with going forward as they don't allow tyres marked as competition use only in road going which would exclude zzr and v70 going forwards also.

• Like 1

b******* that sounds like my cage is no good either

Martin. Yours should be fine. It's been rigorously tested and passed. ;-)

Martin. Yours should be fine. It's been rigorously tested and passed. ;-)

If only that test were sufficient David

I actually think it is a good idea to require basic protection as it scares we seeing a Westfield with the basic factory hoop going up Shelsley but we seem to be going from one extreme to another -  a situation where you could drive with no rollover protection to perfectly adequate cages and rollbars no longer being acceptable.

Surely the weight of the car should also be a factor in their design requirements.

David

I agree David it's been crazy for a lot of years that you could actually run with NO roll-over protection and I do remember one of our competitors suggesting he did that when a scrutineer asked him to get a higher roll bar. So from jan 2016 that will no longer be possible.

What is actually be asked for is the minimum specification allowed by the MSA which has stayed the same for the last 10 years or so (can't actually remember when 38mm was increased). Very unfortunately that is catching some cars out, but long term it has got to be a good thing. I suspect that John Roberts with the Electric Westfield that rolled this year was very glad he had a current MSA Specification Roll bar on his car, I hate to think of the possible consequences if he hadn't. As I think I have stated on another thread I did see a Westfield with an old RAC bar roll right in front of me, the windscreen collapsed and there was very little room for the guy to get out from under the car, good job he was a skinny young guy who came out like a champagne cork.

Not quite so good for those of us who already have perfectly adequate rops (ie full cage ) but now not acceptable for MSA events, Javlin series looking more attractive to me Nick

What I don't get is that I measured a caged certified cage today and guess what, that's all 38mm to, so how does that work then ?