My latest project... A month and £1000 to create an MX-5 track car

AdamR

Surely that's not a standard MX5 engine Adam.

Yup, came out of Hiroshima in 1992 with 114bhp...

So, Cadwell yesterday:

borat-success.jpg

Whistle stop run-down: Up at 4am, got there just before 8. Sign on, noise test - 88dB, haha (more on that later). Very hot and very sunny, had a Cornetto and got sunburn! Plenty of car sharing (Munter had 3 different drivers and 5 different passengers) and laughs. Not many booked on, about 40, and a few cars broke, so was nice and quiet on track.

Did lots of laps, used ~65L of fuel (around 160 miles I reckon), but zero oil. Spent the morning on the Nankang road tyres trying in vain to wear them out, car felt a bit unresponsive and was generally a bit slower than I expected - slightly disappointing, but fun anyway.

rm66.jpg

Decided to fit slicks at lunch, noticed we had worn out a rear brake pad (just one) so changed it (just one). Probably means I need to check caliper sliders in the near future... As we were doing this one of the marshals / sound test guys came over and said he loved the car and how it was seemingly being driven on the limit all the time, also mentioned he was 'worried' it would be totally **** given the low noise reading, haha. At least I can do quiet days at Croft with that exhaust!

rm67.jpg

Went to look at photos in the afternoon, scanned through over 400 and saw literally 4 or 5 of the Munter. I joked it wasn't particularly photogenic and asked if that was why everyone else seemingly had loads of pics but we didn't. The guy wasn't sure which car I meant, but referred to it as 'the one with the roll tower?'. I laughed and didn't spend £30.

The slicks completely transformed the car - suddenly it felt more responsive and alive. Obviously grippier too, to the tune of around 5s a lap, impressive for some 9 year old rubber! Managed to guess correct pressures for them first time and they ended sessions with a lovely texture, no blue tints and very slightly hotter on the front than the rear - perfect RWD car balance. The hotter front tyres indicate slight understeer tendencies, which is imperative for RWD - you need excess traction capacity in the corners else when you apply the throttle, else the rears can't cope with the extra work that is being required of them.

DIY aero stayed in place despite Dave taking a big trip across the grass, but the rear view mirror does not like the vibrations from the nylon engine mount and won't stay put any more! I also had to remove the flap from the passenger side of the windscreen. My wife was too small to see over it even with 2" of padding in the seat, haha. Need to find a workaround for next time as the buffeting in that side of the car was fairly significant, a lot of head-bobbing at high speed, and obviously creating drag! She didn't mind though :)

rm68.jpg

The million dollar question... is it quicker than my race car? Yes. I managed two clear laps without a passenger all day (no thanks to the mong in the turbocharged lime green MX5 who just would not let me past multiple times in multiple sessions, even though we were lapping over 10s slower while stuck behind hmm, grr) and both of those had mistakes, but ended up mid 1:45s. The fastest lap I can find in any Mk1 race car is a 1:45.4 (BRSCC, 2014) which will have been with a tow, and I think the fastest I've been round in my race car will be somewhere in the 1:48s, so I'm pretty chuffed! The car will definitely go a fair bit faster with a decent driver too, I'm crap at Cadwell.

All in all, a cracking day, car goes well, some things to fiddle with for next time, but fun to lap time to cost ratio is off the scale and I can't wait for the next one!
  • Like 1

Did you buy the original car from Dave C?

Surely that's not a standard MX5 engine Adam.

Did some datalogging and it does appear to be a standard engine, with 75-80bhp at the rear hubs (race car is 99bhp at the hubs, so it's miles down!). Have recently been tinkering with that though and will post some details up for those interested.

Did you buy the original car from Dave C?

I didn't, it was actually from DanDud on here :yes:

I looked at my own Cadwell videos, its depressing how we're a similar pace, yet I have 60bhp and 250kg advantage...

MX5's are great little cars although I did have a little chuckle at the photo of the car before paint with the Toni and Guy sticker on the bonnet :p

• Like 1

I looked at my own Cadwell videos, its depressing how we're a similar pace, yet I have 60bhp and 250kg advantage...

Got a link to your vids Russ? And are you at the Blyton trackday on Friday 10th July? I am sure I can find you some time from either or both of these :yes:

MX5's are great little cars although I did have a little chuckle at the photo of the car before paint with the Toni and Guy sticker on the bonnet :p

Haha, you're one of the few to get that reference... I had the sticker made up deliberately, with another one saying 'Blow Dry' pointing at the exhaust :p

MX5's are great little cars although 

Yeah, the lap times they get on control tyres round Oulton, (and other tracks of course) don't half tell a story of what a great all round package they are; and how huge horsepower isn't necessarily needed to set good times. - A good driver and an MX5 is a tricky one to beat, in so many ways.

• Like 1

Got a link to your vids Russ? And are you at the Blyton trackday on Friday 10th July? I am sure I can find you some time from either or both of these :yes:

Haha, you're one of the few to get that reference... I had the sticker made up deliberately, with another one saying 'Blow Dry' pointing at the exhaust :p

I might be at Blyton car less, mines in pieces!

I wouldnt mind a few laps if its there!