My latest project... A month and £1000 to create an MX-5 track car

AdamR

Told you Russ,  yer got to come camping with us, great w/e.

Adam, perhaps you should make this your racecar.

Glad to see its going well Ad!  Cant wait to have a go!

Told you Russ,  yer got to come camping with us, great w/e.

Adam, perhaps you should make this your racecar.

Yes Russ, get it done! I'm serious about borrowing the car by the way, pop a small donation to Cancer Research via my wife's Just Giving page and all you need to do is put fuel in it...

Unfortunately this is 'too far' for the race car Bernie, the regs are quite tightly controlled so there are various parts which wouldn't be allowed. It's just a bit of fun / a way of satisfying my craving for tinkering and being faster than the race car for less than 1/4 of the cost was 'benchmark' I set myself :t-up:

Glad to see its going well Ad!  Cant wait to have a go!

Cheers dude! Will let you know when I'm next out :yes:

PPC magazine do a £999 car challenge I believe. Look it up and see if you fancy a go. I think its held at Curborough these days

Nice idea and execution :-)

PPC magazine do a £999 car challenge I believe. Look it up and see if you fancy a go. I think its held at Curborough these days

That's a really cool idea - just had a look and it appears they need to be road-worthy & MOTd cars, and can't see a mention of the event running since 2011 unfortunately :( Maybe it will return...

Nice idea and execution :-)

Thanks!

Yes Russ, get it done! I'm serious about borrowing the car by the way, pop a small donation to Cancer Research via my wife's Just Giving page and all you need to do is put fuel in it...

Unfortunately this is 'too far' for the race car Bernie, the regs are quite tightly controlled so there are various parts which wouldn't be allowed. It's just a bit of fun / a way of satisfying my craving for tinkering and being faster than the race car for less than 1/4 of the cost was 'benchmark' I set myself :t-up:

Cheers dude! Will let you know when I'm next out :yes:

REally appreciate the offer Adam..let me double check I can get the day off! :d

That's a really cool idea - just had a look and it appears they need to be road-worthy & MOTd cars, and can't see a mention of the event running since 2011 unfortunately :( Maybe it will return...

Thanks!

Im sure it still runs. I will check out my mag and post back details

Edit - the June edition has a double page spread saying that it is returning and to look a www.motorpunk.co.uk/sprint

Looking at the above though shows no mention

But mag says I is returning with sprints at Curborough and an autotest at Coventry motoring festival over Aug bank holiday weekend. Cars must cost less than £1000 and be MOTd and road legal though

• 3 months later...

Long time without an update... I've had another toy to tinker with so its been mostly laid up gathering dust, but it has been out on track in July and yesterday. Unfortunately I wasn't driving in July, but a couple of mates borrowed / rented it instead :)

Did a bit of AFR tinkering on the sighting laps, got it somewhere I was happy with and it seemed to pull a bit better up the revs.

Since then I've changed the rear view mirror and one of the seats, and picked up a set of brand new 185/60-13 road tyres for £100 (still need wheels for these to go on, probably another set of cheap steelies unless anyone has anything going cheap?) but nothing major.

Here's a vid from Blyton in July:

Then yesterday I took the guys from work there for a 'work do'. Around 60L of fuel, not even a hint of a single mechanical issue and 160 miles later there were 4 tired but happy people heading home! Here's the vids:

I only managed one clear lap and it turned out to be about 1:17 from the video - last time I was there in a Mk1 race car on much grippier tyres (NS2Rs as opposed to NS20s) we just snuck into the high 1:16s - similar to Cadwell then, result!

And pics:

https://www.facebook.com/adam.read2/media_set?set=a.10153595719351147&type=3&pnref=story

Love this little thing!

• Like 1

You got those boys going round at a decent pace and safely too.     They'll be after more Company Outings soon :d

• 1 month later...

There will - 29th of this month at Anglesey :) looking forward to it!

Was out yesterday at Donington, dry morning and WET afternoon - such amazing fun and every time I hoon this car about it leaves me genuinely giggling.

Also had a mate sharing it with me, he's usually a turbo barge fan but I'm bringing him round... He reckons he was quicker in this than he was in his 400bhp an Nissan 300z last time he was at Donington - proof of how easy it is to drive!

Intercom system helped massively with getting info across to him too, can't wait to put it to use next month with Marto and his lad at Bedford.

• Like 1

Hi Adam,

I've just scrapped a Mk1 MX5 that had steel rims. Was going to skip them, but you can have them if you want them. Located near Evesham.

PM me if they are of any interest. WSCC Courier might be able to help as there are a few members round here I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Munter has been out and about again - this time at Anglesey last weekend. It was mega windy, about 50mph gusts which brought salty spray over on to the track! This made it pretty slippery and also covered the lens on the camera within a lap or two. Never mind, it was still an awesome day and Maurici, who bought my Westy off me, came along too :)

Enough chat, here's some vids...

Slidey bits, then me for two laps, then Mark for two laps:

Then the two laps above spliced into each other. I've been trying work on consistency with a view to doing some endurance racing next year possibly, and these were the only two clear laps without a passenger I got all day - pretty chuffed with how they came out considering I was pushing pretty hard!

Next outing is next weekend at Rockingham, hopefully it will be wet so we can go sideways all day on the slippiest track known to man, haha.