My latest project... A month and £1000 to create an MX-5 track car

AdamR

Just thought I would share what I've been up to these last few weeks, having decided to take a break from racing and do some more track days. The idea was to come up with something I could thrash without worrying, was cheap and faster than the race car. I set myself a budget of a grand and a month in which to achieve this...

The story started exactly a month ago, with this 1992 UK model car - a good runner but out of MOT - picked up for £500. It immediately gained the nickname of 'The Red Munter':

rm03.jpg

At this point it was 954kg, including some lovely cushions and a selection of CDs:

rm04.jpg

Before I'd even collected it I'd sold the roof for £100, so that gave me £600 to play with. I also forgot that we run a weekend event in May each year, which took a whole a week of my schedule, leaving 3 weeks to do all the work...

Fast forward to yesterday, exactly a month later, now 803kg and it was out on track :t-up:

rm59.jpg

And actually under budget by nearly £20!

rmcosts2.gif

I've got loads of other pics and blurb which I can post up if anyone is interested, it's been quite a hectic month :)

As I've said elsewhere, the idea behind this car is to show people that you can have a lot of fun for very little money, so if you ever see me out and about on a track day please come and introduce yourself so we can get you in the driver's seat for a few laps :yes:

Cheers,

Adam

• Like 6

That looks like a ridiculous amount of fun - perhaps more fun on the Nankangs than the slicks :d

It certainly is :d

Nankangs for fun, slicks for annoying expensive cars ;)

Brilliant Adam, that is exactly what I should have done before buying a Westfield, and now look where I am!!  Will you be bringing it to the Blyton track day and if so, can I have a go?? :d

You have been busy Adam looks good , but I am sure you could make a flymo look good round three sisters.

Hope to see you there next weekend

Should of saved yourself £15 and left it red.....

It wasn't very red at one point :laugh:

rm49.jpg

Edit: sorry for the short post earlier, had to dash off! Hopefully will get to 3 Sisters next weekend yep.

Regarding Blyton... I have been earmarked for instructing all day as far as I know, but if there are enough volunteers to cover I'd love to bring it along and grab a couple of sessions. I can then leave the keys in it for everyone else to have a play if they wish :)

• Like 1

A perfect project for young track day goers.   Hope you have a website the youngsters can find on Google and inspire them to not spend too much.

Nice! I used to have an mx5, got a set of the larger rear discs, they are unused if you want them for the pride of postage / meet up at a track day?

Good project. There is an MX5 duo that join us on trackdays and they have a huge fun to spend ratio.

Good project. There is an MX5 duo that join us on trackdays and they have a huge fun to spend ratio.

There's 2 or 3 MX5 owners that are regulars at Woodbridge trackdays as well.   We have a chat and reciprocate with passenger rides now and again.

Cheers guys! There's no website but have a few build blogs on various forums... And will be 'preaching' on plenty of track days, haha.

Thanks for the offer of discs Bud, already have two sets of those though, oops!

Was doing some datalogging today and decided to have a look at some videos of the Westy from the same circuit - the difference in lap time is fairly surprising, especially given my completely standard daily driver on crap tyres will keep up with almost everything (Evos, M3s, Clios, etc) round here!

Just goes to show Adam it's the Driver not the car .....

You could put a muppet in a fast car doesn't make them a fast driver....