WSCC Speed Series Class discussion

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

I was in the speed series last year and came 3rd and now I'm competing again this year, I really enjoy it the way it is, I'm not saying I will be but I would like to be one of the fast guys one day. My car is road legal but I don't drive it on the road a lot as I keep developing it into a sprint car as that's the direction I want to go in. I think there comes a point were some chaps will have to decide which route to go down, sprint or road car otherwise you ain't going to be one of the quickest and if you choose to have a road car then you carnt complain about the target times and trying to catch Terry and john, this is my input and it isn't aimed at anybody.

I started because I wanted to have a go at some form of competitive Motorsport without being at risk of some other numpty destroying me or my car and this seemed like a good starting point. It is! However I think the concern about novices being able to win the overall championship has led to the entry classes being less fun as the target times are too far away, this will put newbies off I'm sure. I agree that things are ok as they are, but the debate was opened and I think some very worthwhile ideas have been put forward - what is the next step though Nick?

To put my tuppence in on what is/isn't a road going Westfield - my car is very much a road going sprint car, I have a set of sprint wheels and tyres but otherwise it's a regularly used on the road Westy - 150 miles covered in the last week pootling about :) I don't think you can define what is or isn't a road going car other than by the owners desire to use it on the road, I love my car on both track and road, but can appreciate the set up might be a little jarring for some. I soften the damping by a couple of clicks on the road but otherwise that's it. Aeroscreen (interchangeable with full screen), full cage (removable), 20 litre fuel tank, no carpets or heater, massive grins :d

Edit to add: was also seen at the last club meet in the Red Beast!

The subject was put forward to allow people to air their views out in the open and feel that they have had the chance to do so. 

What we need to do next is to allow the SSOT to consider in depth what has been said and see if we can rationalise a few options as to how to go forward. 

It actually wasn't the novices winning which prompted the debate as that had already been dealt with by using target times, it was just a general feeling that a debate would be worth having to see if we could get some good ideas and I think there have been some. Exactly how some of them could be included is yet to be decided but hopefully they can be.

I do need to add a post in the general forum to ask for comments.

• Like 1

Your both correct (3cxjay and bcf)

"there comes a point were some chaps will have to decide which route to go down, sprint or road car otherwise you ain't going to be one of the quickest" I'm there Jason  - I've been trying to chase you hard in the lardy one!

"I don't think you can define what is or isn't a road going car" Absolutely - it's a very long sliding scale from Steve Wilsons up to !!!

I'm a hooked lined and sinkered SS competitor! I'm always pushing it to non competitors.

My main driver in my posts has been that I've been trying to highlight are the reasons we don't get many new members trying out and keeping with the Speed Series..

From my conversations with non sprinters, AND there ARE those that are interested, the main put off is the perception that sprint cars are all highly tuned lightweight beasts. Sprint tyres, helmet and nomex gear have to bought.

I highlight that mine is nothing like that, and I borrowed everything to start.

I'm sure we would benefit from somehow converting those that have a bit of interest into at least giving it a try. 

My concern is sustainability, if we don't get more involved and keep those that are.

AND I wan't more people to compete against at each round, not just me billy no mates in class A.

Good note smeg.

I neglected to mention that the main reason I started sprinting wAs the Wscc sprint shool at curbourough :-) great advice from experts

Now the latest scores have been added I can't really see what's wrong with the classes as they are ?????

From a novice prospective with five rounds completed the top three of us are split by only a few points ( might I add in three very different cars ) and our averages are all very similar :t-up: the next few again ( including Smeg ) are only a few points behind and chasing hard. ???  ???  ???  

I agree we should do all we can to encourage new speeders but lets not spoil the classes and progression we have to do that.

The start up costs are there regardless, but to help keep those costs to a minimum perhaps we could simply have some awards for drivers in classes A + B running on list 1A tyres ?

• Like 1

Nice simple summary Martin and I like the idea of a 1A tyres award ......if anybody is running on them!

• Like 1

I like the idea of a 1A tyres award ......if anybody is running on them!

I think there will be more people entering on them if there is a chance of winning something without shelling out an extra £500 for otherwise 'must-have' tyres. Makes the barrier to entry much easier to overcome.

• Like 3

The start up costs are there regardless, but to help keep those costs to a minimum perhaps we could simply have some awards for drivers in classes A + B running on list 1A tyres ?

Great idea - it's about keeping the first step as accessible as possible  :)

• Like 1

" ( including Smeg ) are only a few points behind" - Ha, 4th in Novice Champ does look good on the face of it! :d  But Barney was unlucky with his engine at Gurston, and my average is 9th in Novice Champ.  :( 

" lets not spoil the classes and progression we have to do that" definitely, I would not want all Westfields to be equal, as the diversity is what is so brilliant about our cars with the innovation and development of the leading experts being awesome. The current class structure supports this. Including some extra variants to encourage others to have a go and some to stay after Novice should enhance this not subtract from it.

1A tyre award in A&B is a great idea, but there are many non competitors on harder compound 1B tyres (which makes a big difference, as I've found between my R1Rs and ZZRs at Blyton) so should we include those as well?

At least if someone upgrades after having a go on 1As to a non sprint 1B tyre it's an investment for all their Westie driving.

As for Nomex/Helmet costs - I borrowed to start off from several people and I've spotted several other members offering loan of theirs on the forum.

• Like 1

I still stand by my suggestion which I submitted at the end of last season.

Scrap the novice championship and have a junior championship and a senior championship with an award at the end of the year for the best 3 novices. Novices stay defined as per the current rules.

Target times for A&B are the same as C&D. Novice and Experts are permitted to enter the junior championship but their previous years average times must be a min of 10% slower than the target time.

This keeps equally competitive people together and detracts from spending a fortune in upgrades or next season you would be promoted if you're too fast.

I spent many hours last year checking the novice championship times against expert times and the only person to be above the 10% thread hold was myself.

• Like 1

What about this as an incentive for new sprinters in first season only never having competeted in any motorsport disciplin.

Minimum of three rounds at different venues entered, award for best average points.