SHOULD I TAKE THE WESTFIELD TO SCOTLAND OR NOT

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

These next two are Corrieshalloch Gorge.

These were from my trip last year but if you travel up to Durness by Ullapool you will pass the little brown sign for the Gorge. It really is worth stopping for. You stand on a rope bridge that has a 150 foot drop below and there are signs saying the bridge will only take 6 people at one..[ that was me on my own then. :d ] If you look in the long distance shot, you can just about see the rope bridge.

SDC16333_zps1oojzdjf.jpg

SDC16328_zpsqkrdkbwk.jpg

These next two are showing Smoo Cave. These are again from my trip last year but just showing you something from Durness.

There is ample parking and eating at Durness and 24 hour petrol.

Also do a google search for Sandwood Bay and Cape Wraith. Sandwood is a 4 mile walk from the car but is beautiful. Golden eagles live here and the sand is like powder. 

This is Britain's largest sea cave opening. You walk inside the cave and there is a wooden "tunnel" structure, walk through this and there is a hole in the cave ceiling that has a powerful waterfall dropping right into the cave. There is a small hole to the right and if the water level is right, then a chap has an inflatable boat and you enter the water, duck down under the small hole and go into further inner chambers.  

SDC16457_zpscofhupik.jpg

[/url]

SDC16478_zpsmf7ttagi.jpg

• Like 1

These are of Moine House.  This would have made a great backdrop for pictures of Buttercup but could not get out because of the rain. These pictures are from a previous visit but wanted to show you as I have mentioned the house in previous posts. This house used to have a family of 9 plus travellers and consisted of two rooms downstairs and a loft.

IMG_6004_zpsswpy1tqv.jpg

IMG_6005_zpssjknwco6.jpg

IMG_6007_zpsaufdkme3.jpg

IMG_6008_zpsm7op1g2m.jpg

IMG_6009_zpsgr44jomu.jpg

IMG_6010_zpsats8an9l.jpg

IMG_6012_zps7dlbt8ow.jpg

IMG_6013_zpswihfygyd.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic story and some lovely photos; don't forget to hold a few back for the magazine though, and perhaps some for the calendar too? So that everyone can enjoy them.

(It would be fantastic to see some in-print, but we don't normally re-use ones that have been on the Boardroom in the calendar.)

A really inspirational trip though, thank you so much for sharing.

Morning David

Comments noted.

That's it for now.

Brilliant thread

You are now officially seconded to the Scottish Tourist board for highliting what a fabulous country we have .............Well done ........now I neeed to go and hang my head in shame as I haven't seen the half of it !!

• Like 3

Yep, been wanting to visit in the Westfield for some years - it's part of the reason I changed cars. This thread just makes me keener than ever!

• Like 1

Yep, been wanting to visit in the Westfield for some years..... ....This thread just makes me keener than ever!

:yes: me tooo :)

• Like 1

You boys are more than welcome to join us again next year if you wish. We usually go end of May beginning of June for somewhere around 9 days.

Yep, been wanting to visit in the Westfield for some years - it's part of the reason I changed cars. This thread just makes me keener than ever!

Come and join the Scottish contingent a week on Friday for our Applecross weekend - all welcome!

Matt

• Like 2

IMG_1322_zpsyz4yusy0.jpg

wow great pic   :t-up:

Many thanks for posting all those pictures Buttercup, reminds me why I love Scotland so much. Will be back with the Westfield one day I hope, last trip was with caravan and family.

Still remember my blast up Glencoe one evening after we took off the bags, it didn't take long to get to the top :-)

The other thing I remember is stopping at a viewpoint by a loch. A tourist coach from Germany pulled up shortly afterwards, most of them spent more time looking at the Westfield than the lovely views.

We have only had bottoming out issues in Ireland, when we had an underslung exhaust. You could be driving along lovely smooth road one minute to be faced with an huge dip in the road the next. Anyone travelling behind will have been treated to a huge plume of sparks. Lovely country (Ireland) but not a patch on Scotland for touring with the Westfield. Best bit of driving was cross country in Wales from Midlands to Pembroke when late for the ferry on roads I know quite well at the time.  

• Like 1

Have loved this thread, as a Scotsman living south of the border for ten years I now want to take the Westfield and do the northern tour !

• Like 3

Thankyou Ross for the nice comments.

I have had great fun doing the thread and it has been really nice for me to read all the comments and I am glad you have all enjoyed reading it.

• Like 2