SHOULD I TAKE THE WESTFIELD TO SCOTLAND OR NOT

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

My wife said she saw a yellow westie parked in Banavie near Fort William about 5pm today, two people in it described as 'well wrapped up'!

Buttercup? By any chance.  Hope you are enjoying the sunny evening.

As has been said, the drive from Invergarry to Kyle (A87) is great.  Another fantastic route is to turn off the A87 onto the A890 to Achnasheen then the A832 to Gairloch, A nice place to visit and includes a section of road described by Top Gear magazine as the greatest drivers road in Britain, through Glen Docherty and alongside Loch Maree.

You are spoilt for choice really, enjoy!

• Like 2

our posts 'crossed' due to my slow typing, seems we could well have a positive sighting!

Woohooo... We have spotted. Yes we are positive... That sounds really bad.

Had a great day today with only a couple of showers so roof off all day. We went back to Glenetive this morning where they filmed some of skyfall. We got out of Buttercup and the feeling of overwhelming smallness was unreal. No trees or bushes but only a road between massive, snow topped mountains. It was fantastic and so surreal.

From here we went over to Fort William and had a fantastic meal by the well known Scotsman, Ronald McDonald and then onto Ben Nevis. We went on the gondola that takes you up the next but one mountain to Ben Nevis and the views and wind are fantastic. Make sure you wrap up well. Carol had a walk and then disappeared to the cafe and I went up the mountain and climbed to the snow line

Really fab place with nice car parking for Buttercup and clean toilets and cafes at the top and bottom of the mountain.

From the gondolas we went to Glenfinnan to see the viaduct and memorial. The place nearly brought me to tears as it is the most beautiful place and was totally overwhelmed.

From here we headed back to Glencoe and the roads are so flat and smooth and a joy to drive. We have spoken to so many people and had lots of people having their pictures with Buttercup today.

Today has been brilliant and tomorrow I am hoping to climb to the hidden valley and then onto Skye for two days before going up north to Durness.

• Like 6

This is making fantastic reading Geoff and Carol, and that is without the pictures. You are going to have to stay a considerably longer time though to get on all these lovely roads that everyone is talking about.

Please keep treating us to your great story.

OCLO

• Like 1

Hi Julie.

It would be great next year to have a tribe of us travel up here for a weeks driving or so.

I have been coming up for a few years but in a tintop. These past few days with all the rain and b*******ing about I have to say have made this such a fantastic holiday and deciding to bring buttercup even though the forecast was terrible was the best ever. I have learnt a few lessons though. We could travel with less things as people have said but I am pleased with what we have brought on this occasion. A half hood and the clear wind deflectors stop an amazing amount of water. It is amazing what you can stack on a

Paul Ash luggage rack. An umbrella is a godsend in a shower with no roof on. That will do for now as going to take pictures of the pink sky. Don't forget next years planned trip.

What does OCLO mean?

• Like 1

reading with interest - great work :t-up:

• Like 1

What does OCLO mean?

One Careful Lady Owner I reckon :)

• Like 1

Ha. It's perfectly clear now you have told me.

Thank you.

Ill be going up to scotland sometime this summer on a 2 - 3 day run roind the west coast if anyone wants to tag along? Ill be waiting for the weather man to give the nod and a gap at work..

Ill be staying bed n breakfast to keep costs down.. Nowt booked yet but i cant wait now.. My fires been re-lit....

• Like 1

I'll be out and about on many of the for-mentioned routes today because I'll be working in Applecross, or more accurately at the top of the pass.  I'll not be in the Westfield unfortunately.

I'll give you a toot if I see you.  Weather is looking a bit grey but supposed to be relatively dry and calm.

Have another great day!

• Like 1

Ill be going up to scotland sometime this summer on a 2 - 3 day run roind the west coast if anyone wants to tag along? Ill be waiting for the weather man to give the nod and a gap at work..

Ill be staying bed n breakfast to keep costs down.. Nowt booked yet but i cant wait now.. My fires been re-lit....

I might be up for that Terry, depending on dates (and reg arriving from DVLA!) - any more thoughts on this can be on another thread though - don't want to hijack Buttercup's most excellent adventure!

• Like 1

Skye - Brilliant (I named my son after Sgurr Alasdair) - I am sure you have a route planned , but as said before, the fairy pools, Glen Brittle (park on beach at end), Cuillins, Talisker distillery (bit touristy but worthwhile).

In the North park at highest point on Uig - Brocaig road, and short walk to the Quirang, Good museum on NW coast (look out for basking sharks - quite common), good chippy in Portree. A day is not enough!!

Good luck with the weather.

Dave.

• Like 1