Number plates for cyclists

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Certainly people walking or jogging wearing earphones means they often are not aware of your presence as you approach on a bike even when you you ring a bell

Certainly people walking or jogging wearing earphones means they often are not aware of your presence as you approach on a bike even when you you ring a bell

tel thats a sign of age having a bell on yer bike , do you have a bike  like in the old hovis adverts ;)

Them old bikes are too hard to pedal wuv so its a GIANT Talon Mountain Bike

Lets all get rid of our noisey dirty air poluting dangerous to health & life cars and ride bikes or horses instead ,  life would be just wonderful  :)

My hybrid (put simply a mountain bike with skinny road tyres), which I built for 16mile commute to work, is fitted with a small 12v SLA battery and a set of the same air horns as the Westfield.

People will hear it whether they want to or not :p

Lets all get rid of our noisey dirty air poluting dangerous to health & life cars and ride bikes or horses instead ,  life would be just wonderful  :)

U gonna swap your car for a shire Bernie ?

Pist0nbroke tattooed across the rump fits in with Scotts formatting requirements nearly,

Bob :d :d

• Like 1

Actually, just digress for a moment (that's unusual) horses / ponies have to be Micro-chipped / Freeze branded (or the not so common Hot branded) and require a Passport signed off by a vet that records these identification details  - they are therefore not that far removed from a car registration system although obviously it's not that obvious when you see them (all of this is primarily related to theft and selling scams as well as food chain issues).

So all you need to do is look for a Freeze mark (usually in the saddle area) or have an animal Microchip scanner - but they CAN* be identified

* Of course, not all sections of our "community" follow these requirements, but then they don't follow any other "requirement" either :angry:

Anyway - trotting back to the main part of this thread......

• Like 1

I cycle, ride and drive defensively. In the Westy I look out for idiots, on my bike or horse I look out for idiots. I also try not to be the idiot especially in the Westy.

I also drive a Fire engine and you see bad road use from lots of different perspectives then. From inattentive pedestrians cyclists with headphones, panic drivers, motorcyclists & cyclists up ya chuff, idiots in cars trying that too, unbelievably some people who just won't conceed to let you through.

The main thing lacking all round is respect from all for all.

Respect that fact that the person on a bike or in the car is someone. Part of my blue light training stated to actually look at the person as you approach (if you can) you'll get more of an idea of what they're going to do.

And I can't believe there are so many perfect drivers and cyclists on here... I know I'm not!

• Like 1

The good thing about headphone wearers is that (Thanks to Dr Dre and chums) they are easy to spot by the enormous brightly coloured headphones they will inevitably be wearing.

Well said Peet.  No one is infallible and some are more so than others.

Bob :d

It's a good point about eye contact, once you have made eye contact with someone it seems they are less likely to try and squash you :)

probably quicker than the runcorn bridge today!

seriously tho somewhere back some one mentioned 3rd party insurance.

when i used to dabble in using a power kite and buggy on the beach i was advised to have liability insurance, horse owners have 3rd party liability insurance, any kind of extreme sport i think should have it so why not cyclists. for the very reason of accidents etc do happen. steve on his bridge is a good example. i have no idea the road but right outside my work is a blind humpback bridge, the lane is narrow a head on with anything is totally possible and if in the case that it was a cyclists fault then they use the insurance??