Number plates for cyclists

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

Don't worry, cyclists have a death wish, and will die out soon

But the problem is I do worry, I worry when i see evil posts like that, i worry what is going on in your head, everytime i go out on my bike I do worry that i might not return, my partner worries that i won't return (and for your education her husband was killed by a speeding motorist whilst he was driving to work).

If i don't return home it won't be for me having a death wish, it will be because some idiot in a vehicle doesn't respect me or my rights to be on the road, or is too arrogant or stupid to brake and gave me (the soft squishy human being) a bit of space on the road, at the expense of him/her actually slowing down for just a few seconds, that's all I ask, a few seconds of your time, for you to go past in a safe manner for all and not kill me!, really is that too much to ask?

What i don't understand is that when i'm on my bike I've had drivers of cars, vans, lorries and buses intentionally do thing to me, e.g. spit on me, throw food and drink at me, cigarettes, intentionally force me off the road, why? For f**** sake WHY?

when i'm in my car i don't get that, i'm the same person, so it isn't me that's the problem, it's the lobotomised ignorant self centred car drivers at the wheel of over a ton of high speed, high powered metal that are the problem, and the sooner they are removed from society the safer i will feel, as i should on the road,

What should really happen is that before a driver of a car or any other motor vehicle gets their licence they should be forced to do say 100 hrs of riding a bike on all roads, at different times of the day in all weather conditions, then and only then might some (not all I admit) have a modicum of decency and respect for all other road users.

My final word on this is to say that there are 3 modes of transport that have a RIGHT to use the highway, pedestrians, horse riders and cyclists because they are largely benign, all other uses have to be taught to use the road and gain permission to use it by passing a test, a permission can be revoked.

Taxi for yanto or maybe a rickshaw !

Note to self

I must think before posting in future ....

Play nicely gents... Or is that too much to ask without the moderation team being accused of censorship and other heinous crimes against humanity? ;)

Play nicely gents... Or is that too much to ask without the moderation team being accused of censorship and other heinous crimes against humanity? ;)

Agreed Scott life too short to get upset about such stuff......

again it goes back to ,why not have pedalists that have to carry a reg plate and insurance to be on the road or even use a bike say from when your 16 yrs old or even younger as they can cause accidents same as any car driver or damage to cars , then when the plank on a bike  that hit my car coming over a bridge the wrong way can be held responsable  , or the other plank that pulled accross me in a que of cars nearly causing a accident because he was to impatient to wait for a bigger gap

and when i was 11 years old i was hit from behind on a straight road while riding my bike and went through the windscreen of a car onto the passengers lap  and then thrown out onto a canal bank as he hit the bank ,maybe then the car driver would have not got away with it

im not anti cyclists at all , but im anti riding around in large groups not giving a chuff for other road users , and anti not giving a chuff for road rules and regulations and thinking they can do what they want ,

pedalists need to be held responsable for there actions ,when they are held responsible and have to carry a id plate and insurance by law same as the rest of us road users ,it will be a better place

I have to say if I felt as unsafe as some of the cyclists who have posted I wouldn't ride on the road..........

Oh dear how this has degenerated, as above if people don't feel and behave safely they should avoid the hazards not add to them by incompetence, that is whether you are a motorist, cyclist, horse rider, pedestrian or OAP on a mobility buggy. Everyone has a part to play and spitting the dummy out because its not agreeable is regrettable. This is not a cyclist witch hunt its a conversation about the merits of identifying people who may be guilty of an offence or even god forbid be lying in the road injured.  Like the toe-rag who kicked my door when I guiltily made him change course, yes guilty yer honour but the ding in my door wasn't a match for the shock and fear I probably caused the little sh*t. But as I said I was guilty but hey ho, thems the rubs. This thread will be shut down soonish as it will get into a them and us , but as the big man said he who hasn't committed any sin throw the first cycle helmet.

I'm out now, going to polish my velocipede.

Bob :(

I am NOT ant-cyclists - I am ANTI ill manners, bad road craft, jumping red lights, driving whilst on the phone etc etc etc etc etc of ANYONE WHO USES THE ROAD.

The trouble is, with every "encounter" I've had with cyclists it's like they suddenly completely forget the highway code or good manners. And of course, as has been said, they can remain anonymous whilst I have a registration plate.

That's my opinion

How about if we take the controversial stance that we all disapprove of inappropriate behaviour on the roads, regardless of method of transport used, and that anyone doing so should be held accountable and responsible?

Just thought - let's put number plates on horses as well.  Or tattoo their  :arse:  with the registration number.  If that number has a zero or an "O" in it, lift the tail and that's one less letter to tattoo.  :laugh: 

Do the same to dogs too so we can easily report the scum bags that leave poo all over the place and are incapable / unwilling to control them on or off the lead. One day I swear I'll do bad things to someone with their extendable dog lead! Come to think of it, registration for people too particularly if they want to wander like a zombie while using their phone. And licensing to have children to stop the aforementioned breeding. And...

We had one person in our village that used to regularity complain about horse poo on the roads - horse poo that is basically digested grass and will wash away at the first rain and indeed is good for the roses !! (how you were supposed to stop, get off your horse, scoop up the "poo", get back on and continue to ride / control your horse is beyond me - but there we are :) )

I guess a lot of opinions on this forum are based around a) age b) location, c) experience of the topic. 

Just don't get started on "the environment" and windfarms :bangshead:

My Dad has issues about a wind farm (actually 5 turbines so a bit like calling his pond a fish farm) that are about 5 miles away. A blight on the countryside apparently. He also believes the neighbours solar panels devalue my parents' house. This is what happens when you retire isn't it?

Horse poo is an interesting one. Not particularly harmful compared to the canine variety but it is rather irritating when it's on the urban bridal ways you get these days. Still, better than a LandRover running over some on the road and firing it in the direction of your aeroscreen Westfield :(

I have to say if I felt as unsafe as some of the cyclists who have posted I wouldn't ride on the road..........

As someone who only cycles to try to keep a modicum of fitness, this is exactly what I do - avoid roads (especially busy ones) whenever I can.  My bike is a hybrid and is at home down canal towpaths, farmers tracks etc. but fine for the short bit of road work I need to do before I can get off road.  Have pedalled c. 2000 miles this year with not one car-related incident.  Wet leaves, phone-reading pedestrians & poorly controlled kids and dogs on cycle tracks are all much more of an issue for me.