• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

New Westfield SEW

andrewmais

Ill do the check that Scott suggested (thanks Scott) and then replace with a new one and monitor it.  I think it may have been caught by a flame in the garage previously.

I can see myself asking a lot of questions on here...... great resource.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• andrewmais

• Quinten

• Captain Colonial

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Just had a look on the inside of the filter and there's not a mark on it - so I think external damage of some description.

In which case and after you've checked for that leak, just spray it black. :)

If it had been caught by flame, it would have singe or melting marks.  If not, petrol on the filter at some point is a good bet.  It might have been fixed already but the filter not replaced / refurbished.

Hi there, welcome & enjoy, your car looks great.

I've got a live axled SEW and as all our club mates will tell you, by far superior to these fancy-pants independent suspension johny-come-lately types :d.

Have you tried braking hard yet with it? I mean really hard? You'll soon get a feel for the brakes when you're on track. If they're maintained well, with good shoes, cylinders and seals are in good condition & your fluid system is all up together, you'll have no problems with drum brakes in my experience.

Pretty soon you may want to upgrade your front pads if you do much in the way of track work, plenty of threads here about that,,, I upgraded front pads & with maintained standard rear drums & regular brake fluid changes & bleeding I'm happy so far having done a good few track days and hill climbs.

I would put money (1p) on your faded filter being fuel related. Perhaps try running the car with the filter off & checking it over (no smoking though)

Abingdon's lots of fun, post up when you're going you might meet a fellow member or two

Welcome from another SEW owner  :t-up: nowt wrong with a LIVE axle  ;)  :yes:

Live axles Rock!!!  Or is that the wrong phrase???  :p   Welcome and have fun with your car - I have a live axle and its awesome :-) 

Just looking at that filter I would say it is fuel mixture eroding it - Pipercross Filters are in my village and I drink with a few of the lads who work there - I will ask them their opinion….

I've had this 'wear' on my previous Pipercross filter - started small and just grew.  No evidence of anything coming from inside.  I just replaced it.

Looks like a fuel issue to me aswell.

I know it's quite a contentious subject but there is a line a thought and suggestion from people with much greater knowledge than me , that foam filters aren't the best choice for carbs.

I believe the concern is that with the nature of the carbs small particles of foam can dislodge from the filter and find their way into the carbs.

Like i say, I know the subject has been discussed here and also been expressed by both my engine builder and RR operators, hence why I've stuck with the K&N filters

Welcome, lovely looking car! Live axles are great :) I have drums on the rear and have done a few trackdays now without any braking issues, try 15mins on track with 15-20mins cool down and see how you go.

Ref the filter, have you got ram pipes/trumpets fitted? If so, what length? Short (15mm) or no trumpets allows fuel to spit back out the carbs, longer trumpets catch this (wandering into air resonance here which someone smarter than me would need to explain in detail). Get yourself a session on a rolling road and take the filter off, you'll soon see what I mean, but could explain what you've got there.

Long live live.

A friend had trouble with a Pipercross filter.  One of the local cats was sharpening its claws on it.  I'm with K&N, but they did catch fire once, when it wouldn't start (flooded I assume).  Eurocarb (just up the road) sell the filter bits separately

Thanks again Andrew for showing me around your Westie, it was as nice as in the pictures.  An excellent buy!

No problem Quinten, anytime. Thanks for your kind words regarding my car and good luck with your own search.