Top gear

Paul Gibney - Lancashire AO

djm what was his verdict? ignoring the fact it costs 16K and has **** wheels :) i can see the draws of the small engine. esp if it makes the car nimble etc. fuel economy alone is worth it and i guess there may be scope to beef it up a little in the same way ford did with thier formula ford car using the ecoboost engine. (another one i thought might be a good idea for the 7 shape)

Brian.

Same father,different mother

OT i just looked on wickipedia and he's been with his girlfriend for years - i thought he was gay

djm what was his verdict? ignoring the fact it costs 16K and has **** wheels :) i can see the draws of the small engine. esp if it makes the car nimble etc. fuel economy alone is worth it and i guess there may be scope to beef it up a little in the same way ford did with thier formula ford car using the ecoboost engine. (another one i thought might be a good idea for the 7 shape)

The entry price car is £15K in kit form for a dead basic car with virtually everything as upgrades. The car CKC tested already had these upgrades: metallic paint, leather seats, heater, aero style fuel cap and tonneau cover which added £2735! You can also choose full screen and weather equipment (+£1250), carpet set (+£115), lowered floors (+£395) etc etc, which soon bumps it up to silly money.

His verdict was that it looks expensive against obvious competition and the reality is that for similar money to the basic model you'll be looking at a well tuned 2 litre Zetec powered competitor using brand new components throughout and supplied in complete kit format. His final conclusions are:

"It brings with it a completely unique soundtrack, distinctive performance delivery and oodles of character. Allied to a corking gearbox (Mazda MX5), skinny tyres and trademark Caterham handling traits, there's every reason why you might choose a 160 over and above its more expensive stablemates."

Finally he says "Far from being the cheap stripped back, discounted own-brand impersonation I suspected it might be, the 160 might just be the surprise delight for those brave enough to look beyond the meagre on-paper stats. Surprising, in every sense of the word."

Personally I think he was just being a bit kind in his wrap up and it wouldn't be in my short list if I was choosing my first kit car again. Caterham refer to it as an entry model, although they mean an entry model into Catrham ownership!