Knockhill trackday 23rd May Booking information

Andrew

I don't know what the answer is to getting my Scottish friends on the track I have tried to encourage them at all times.  As you know experimenting with your car and driving skills on the road can be an expensive business (as I know to my cost). At least on the track all the cars are going in the same direction (usually) and there are no trees, ditches etc. I guess it is a psychological issue taking that first step. Also I guess the cost of a track day comes out  of a discretionary spending budget and the car is paid for already. The biggest issue in Scotland at least, is the weather, I have not found an answer to that!

There is no friendlier introduction to track days where all the owners are driving similar cars and they are a known quantity and most will look out for you.

There is also the Forrestburn track managed by the MSCC (Monklands Sporting car Club). They have three track days on their excellent hill climb track just out side Blackridge on the Airdrie road. They also do Knockhill track nights.

The article can be found at: www.alastair-reynolds.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/westfield/article_14.pdf

Thanks Alistair, I'm sure we'll get a few more takers when the really nice weather's upon us. Must admit even I find it hard to book a trackday when it's cold and miserable outside. Got to say, the forecast now is looking like we're in for a decent spell.

The biggest issue in Scotland at least, is the weather, I have not found an answer to that!

Do you know, I've done two trackdays at Knockhill, 2012 it was sunshine most of the day, I think it started drizzling on mid afternoon.. no complaints! 2013, we had wall to wall sunshine and warmth too! :cool:  (Also been up there twice with my son racing, and tbh he did four races, and none were wet.)

Pics from last year:

CAD_4263.jpg

CAD_4887.jpg

Must say I'm surprised more of the Scottish contingent haven't signed up for this. It's beginning to look like the huge turnout the year before last was a fluke! 

There's only one thing stopping me booking up right now....lack of a car!  :down:

Matt

I'd be there in a heart beat ......unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world at work :down:  :down:  :down:  

I'd be there in a heart beat ......unfortunately I'm on the other side of the world at work :down:  :down:  :down:  

Lend your car to Matt. Sorted! :t-up:

There is also a difference in cost. Last year was a normal track day (£55) rather than the open day which is obviously more expensive. I will be gutted (when I book and if there is a space!) If it rains on the day!

There is also a difference in cost. Last year was a normal track day (£55) rather than the open day which is obviously more expensive. I will be gutted (when I book and if there is a space!) If it rains on the day!

I did the open pitlane day July 20th last year? and the sessioned one in 2012. I think it was a Jap car show day or something. Although the sessioned day cost only £55, and the open pitlane day is nearly three times that, you'll get way way more than three times the track time.

I have one of the 2012 sessions on video, no kidding including a slowish green flag lap and a cooling down lap, it was less than six minutes! I think we had six sessions, did we? The short sessions were down to having to recover broken down cars from the track etc etc, and having to shorten the sessions to fit in five groups per hour.. I took fuel home with me!! :laugh:   

Having said all that, I did enjoy the 2012 day, it gave me just enough of a taster to get back there again. And last year's was an absolute cracker!

Obviously we can't do anything about the weather, but I'm sure even at Knockhill, it doesn't rain more than it rains. :t-up:

Just close your eyes and book it. :d

I agree that the open track day gives more value for money and I really want to be there!

I was suggesting that the lack of numbers may be down to the combination of cost, uncertainty about the weather and it being on a Friday.

I will have to take my chances nearer the time!

I would also need to scrounge or leave and return to get more petrol!

I agree that the open track day gives more value for money and I really want to be there!

I was suggesting that the lack of numbers may be down to the combination of cost, uncertainty about the weather and it being on a Friday.

I will have to take my chances nearer the time!

The cost is a Knockhill thing I reckon. Most of their days are £40 to £50 sessioned days, and that's what people have got accustomed to, so the price of an open pitlane day is seen as very expensive.

Almost every other circuit in the country runs open pitlane days, and there aren't many below £100... airfield days mainly. Most are between £150 and £250 per day.

You just have to get accustomed to paying. :t-up:

To be honest, I doubt if there'll be spaces left by the time we're in the weather forecasting window, and if you do manage to get a place on the day it's another £25 extra.

I know I know !!! Yes it is a reasonable price for an open pit lane. I suppose the real reason I am being slow to book is my head ruling my heart! It's going to be an expensive year for me and if chucking it down on the day I would not want to spend that sort of money spinning  my wheels up and going sideways into the kitty litter!  Also want to do Applecross, Forrestburn and other trackdays!

I still wholeheartedly recommend it to those who have yet to try a track day!

I know I know !!! Yes it is a reasonable price for an open pit lane. I suppose the real reason I am being slow to book is my head ruling my heart! It's going to be an expensive year for me and if chucking it down on the day I would not want to spend that sort of money spinning  my wheels up and going sideways into the kitty litter!  Also want to do Applecross, Forrestburn and other trackdays!

I still wholeheartedly recommend it to those who have yet to try a track day!

Sorry, I was getting a bit "hard sell", will be nice to see you there if you can make it. :t-up:

just trying for time off work

Stage one in the booking process.. :yes:

Pal, Stoney booked on with his rapid zetec Westy. :yes:  :yes:

Me. :):yes:

Ross. :yes:

Prisoner :yes:

Stoney :yes:

Would have booked unfortunately its on a holiday weekend.

Good lady had holiday already scheduled so no/go ... sorry.

Hope you get the required numbers.