New WSCC Trackday Guru

Nick Algar - Competition Secretary

ref noise test you could always tell them it only revs to ten and a half fit a cheap air box for test and sighting laps then remove and put on normal filter ive heard some peapole do that !

True. And whilst it gets you on to the track day -it doesn't help the long terms prospects of tracks that are struggling with the noise police anyway... :(  

as long as you dodnt trigger the drive by meter which is the one the noise police look at you willl be ok if you dodnt they will soon show you the black flag pull you in and investigate and give you chance to comply

Depends if the track in question has a drive by meter - most don't. .  

All I am saying is noise today is likely to spoil it for folk tomorrow - IMHO the best way is to work on getting the car to comply without having to resort to bolting things on just to get it through the static test...  

Depends if the track in question has a drive by meter - most don't. .  

All I am saying is noise today is likely to spoil it for folk tomorrow - IMHO the best way is to work on getting the car to comply without having to resort to bolting things on just to get it through the static test...  

Most tracks still do static testing at the start of the day but I can only think of one circuit that does not back that up with drive by testing, it's been introduced to a lot of tracks in the last year or two.

Noise is just one of those things we have to live with but even for the BEC guys it shouldn't be that difficult to pass the regs for a decent number of tracks.

As was mentioned in a earlier post a repack with acoustifil exhaust packing is a great way to start on the quest to cut noise i did mine and now pass static at 100-101 so ok at most tracks other than donny i tun a standard filter i did try a pipercross air box but it was too restrictive cant afford a revie or AB one but no need now after packing exhaust , Steve is correct as i said earlier that the majority of circuits do have drive by as well as ststic noise meters as i said its a thing that the local councils insist on now as part of the license so they can check the recorded noise levels thats how Mallory got into trouble all the Moto cross tracks have yo have them as welll , with a little bit of effort you can get the BEC cars passed and out on track where they come into thrre own i wouldnt swop mine !

Hi Steve had my westy just under a year now and getting very interested in getting it out on a track but being In Cornwall this is easier said than done. Also concerned about travelling to a circuit and finding out the car is to loud or maybe wrong tyres and the like.

Tyres aren't an issue for regulations, noise obviously is.  What spec is your car?

I've got a wide bodied 2.0l zetec running on twin 45's with I believe a standard WF exhaust system, as for tyres I've got yoko A048's which are great in the dry but in the damp...I'm sure you know lol (which was more of my concerns) and as I've got 14" rims a bit limited to tyre choice

I'd expect you to be OK on noise at a 105db circuit with that setup, might be worth posting up in tech talk to ask if anyone else has a similar setup?

A048s are fine and probably no worse than anything else in the damp, full wet might be a bit interesting  :suspect: .  Ultimately you drive to whatever the conditions are, everyone is in the same boat for that and there's plenty who just run on one set of tyres for all conditions.

If you want to have a go I think you've got to pick a date and give it a try!

Agreed, as long as your silencer has some packing in it should be ok. If you can't get the noise measured (even smart phone apps will give you an estimation of the db), give the silencer a couple of taps with your knuckles. The more tinny, hollow and empty it sounds, the more chance you are going to have with noise...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions regarding the silencing. I have what looks like a custom made airbox and a spare plastic one which I haven't tried as yet but given the loudness of the standard blade silencer currently on the car I think I will need a new bigger one to solve the problem rather than changing airboxes. Is Wunoff the place to go and can they guarantee below 100dba?

Also on another note (no pun intended) I have 195 x 55 x 15 888's tyres on the front and 195 x 50 888's on the rear. This does not look correct. Anyone got any views on this??

Are the wheels the same size? If so, I'd stab a guess that they are fitted to the wrong ends.

I'd personally swap the wheels (or the tyres if they won't swap due to size/offset reasons), and run the larger profile on the rear...and when they wear out drop it to 50 series all round.

I have assumed that the previous owner has swapped them around unknowingly or bought the wrong profile tyres or both. All wheels are 15". Can I assume that both wheels have the same offset and be able to be swapped around if both are 195 width and if I do move the 55's to the rear will this affect the handling much?

Perhaps it will make the speedo more accurate (currently reading about 10% too high)?

I wouldn't assume the offsets (.or indeed, the rim widths) are the same, hence my carefully worded reply above! Check first, relatively easy to measure offset with a straight edge. You are just looking to ensure the wheels are the same.

Handling - I doubt you will notice that much difference to be honest, but IMHO the lower profile are probably best fitted to the front.

I reckon it probably was a mis-order, or a bargain at some stage too!!!

Hi Steve had my westy just under a year now and getting very interested in getting it out on a track but being In Cornwall this is easier said than done. Also concerned about travelling to a circuit and finding out the car is to loud or maybe wrong tyres and the like.

Your nearest track is Castle Coombe and there are a couple of Airfield tracks at Keevil, Colerne and Hullavington in Wiltshire organised by Motorsport Events.  They are all about 200 miles from you so quite a trek. Stopping at a nearby cheap hotel the night before is probably your only option, it's what I do when travelling this distance.

As for noise the iPhone app is ballpark noise test try that first.  You can buy an extra muffler if it is way over the limits. Some of the Swindon guys go to the mentioned airfields regularly, you could make an exploritry trip there  and meet up with them on a nice warm day and have your car noise tested by the organisers and I'm sure you can blag some passenger rides with them to get the idea of what it is like on a track.