Scottish area

Wee Dov

Some iteresting points made on piston heads in the terms you use for an "organised event"

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=118&t=1375809&mid=410682&nmt=A+lot+of+words+to+the+wise+if+you+organise+or+go+on+runs%21+

Thanks for bringing this up however, I have a completely different take on this from the author's - even before getting to the bottom of the post, I realised that it had been written by a solicitor!!

The forum/group in question are generally made up of strangers (with the exeption of a few who may have previously known each other) and are not, as we are, an organised section of a Club of which, at least the majority of us are sensible drivers. It also very much has a 'cruise' fraternity/element to it and our group is so much different!

To suggest, as the solicitor does, to issue a set of obvious 'instructions' on speed limits and 'no racing' will not void any charge or conviction imposed on an individual, should that individual break the Law. Is he suggesting that by issuinig such an instruction that the 'group' are not implicated becuase the 'group' could not be implicated in any way unless they themselves have separately broken a traffic law??

I work in enforcement and are regularly challenged by solictors on the application on the particular law that I enforce .. I now see how solictors, etc get paid rock star wages for the crap that many of them speel!!

I guess what I am contesting is that I do not see how issuing a set of instructions on how you should behave on the road, has any bearing on the run. It would appear that this particular run resulted in some friction between the Police and some run participants and we should not all suddenly consider that all Police are 'out to get us' should similar happen.

Unfortunately, we have had two occasions where a Club member has come a cropper (one considered quite serious) and I for one can say that the Police were more than courteous and considerate about the incident (certainly the one that I attended) in ensuring that the member was taken good care of and that the area and his vehicle were safe and secure before opening the road up again.

I fail to understand his point .. !

I understand your point on this and there will never be 2 incidents with the same set of circumstances. It just made me wonder how the prosecution side of things could expand due to published target times and locations on routes could be construed as a race (absurd looking inwards I know)

i have been and still am involved in a motorcycle club, this club basically does the same as the westy club, ride to social gatherings or just go out for a ride.

One individual on a ride was caught speeding (shock horror) on the Edinburgh by-pass at 10pm on a summers night. The whole group was done for speeding even though they could only prove one. The copper then wanted to add dangerous driving to all of them as in his opinion they were racing.

All I am saying at the end of the day is think about it when traveling in a group of performance cars some with bike engines which always sound to the uneducated like they are going faster than they actually are, some grumpy member of the public could convey a different story to the law.

So the Police couldn't prove they were all speeding yet he/she booked them all with no evidence and the bikers accepted it!! 3 points and £60 .. wouldn't be me, mate!!

EDIT: Just re-read my response - lol, sorry mate, don't mean it to sound disbelieving or disrespectful but does seem a bit suss...

I too have seen more the boy racer 'clubs' or supercar numpties racing each other as if it was the Cannonball Run. When you join us for a run, you'll see it isn't quite like that ;-)

Any idea on when dates will be released ... ever preliminary ones?

Good lady starting to fill the diary with events ... trying to minimise any clashes

Any idea on when dates will be released ... ever preliminary ones?

Good lady starting to fill the diary with events ... trying to minimise any clashes

Hi Jim, I'll get in touch with Dave and see if he's happy for me to post up a list I sent him earlier. :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Is there no progress in posting dates or events. Would really like to know what's possibly going to happen so I can plan..... Cheers

Hi Jim, I'll get in touch with Dave and see if he's happy for me to post up a list I sent him earlier. :t-up:

Hi Rab post dates as temp list if you wish,

But I need to speak to NEville re BBQ date.

Rest should be ok mate.

Ok folks

here are the MODIFIED proposed dates for 2014

April13th Lothian coastal run ,hopefully with border lotus 7 club

April 20th Doune hill climb

April 27th east Neuk run

Stoneleigh kit car. Show 3rd4th&5th May

Neville's charity BBQ to hopefully take place in May ,once confirmed with Neville

June8th Croft RS owners club meeting and Westfield only track day

June 20th to 22nd Applecross weekend.

June29th BSB at.

July 6th run to Ballater

July 26 th 27th possibly meetup with north west tiger club on route to Applecross.

August 10th run to Killin

August 24th25th BTCC at Knockhill

August 31st Lead hills run

September 16th or 21st run up around Oban area (the meerkat run)

Please note it was decided to check the weather before committing to go and that if all agree then the dates can be rescheduled if that is the majority decision.

Enjoy this guys and let's make it another great year.

Sorry Guys old age creeping in How about this then. .

Wee Dov

Dave, is Oban run not meant to be September?

Not according to the notes from our meeting mate!

Any thoughts  anyone!!!

Is there life out there? :yes::no:???

Any thoughts  anyone!!!

Is there life out there? :yes::no:???

4 runs in August sounds a bit optimistic to me - makes more sense that the Oban one is in September? It was a good one last year, although it was 'slightly' wet on the way back.

Matt

• Like 1

We'll be on a few of these. How is the membership of the Scottish Area looking?