• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SootySport

• dombanks

• stephenh

• blue ass fly

I'll take 3 please!

Can't remember who said it but there is a relationship between how far you are from the screen and size. I'm a home cinema buff so I'm always trying bigger! But if you are only occasionally watching and aren't into the home cinema experience whatever fits will be great.

It is also true as mentioned above that some of the older 40" TVs had quite a large edge which considerably added to their size so going to a local electrical dealer where they have them on the wall is a good way of getting a feel for the overall size as some of the different sizes aren't much different in overall size.

Another vote for the Samsung. I replaced my aging 42" plasma with a 46" Sammy Smart LED and it was physically smaller. As said before, screen size is measured diagonally and you should also consider what would actually fit (width, height and depth) comfortably and go from there. They tend to be much thiner too so if the current set-up sticks out a bit then you will find a new screen will take up less space all round. It is worth paying for higher refresh rates and color temp and even 3D will probably come as std.

Worth considering also is how you connect to the TV... via HDMi, SCART, or something else? You don't want to end up with a cracking new TV that wont take the video (and sound maybe) feed from you Panny set-up. Althougn I should counter that by saying thet "most" new screens have all the connections.

Yeh, 90" should fit the bill :( .  although never been a fan of Sharp stuff, goes back to the '70's when their stuff was poorly made.   Note that new TVs have only 1 scart socket these days.

You could treat yourself to this and be future proof. http://www.hispek.com/lg/4k-uhd-televisions/lg-84lm960v-84-ultra-hd-4k-led-television-with-free-2-year-warranty-plus-claim-free-lg-gpad-8-3-tablet-via-redemption-on-demo-in-store-pd-17545.php

Scart leads are old hat these days, they have all gone HDMI......

....Says the man with a 28" CRT :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

we have a 32 Samsung smart TV LED in the living room which is 20x12 . I don't think its too small . The HD is essential on larger screen sizes as by definition the pixels will be bigger. The Smart TV does Iplayer and the C4 and C5 equivalents , lovefilm and a couple of other apps that render a DVP pointless. It is connected to a NAS and plays my itunes although the Samsung AllShare is rubbish . difficult to set up .The user interface with the remote is painful and it does need a sound bar or slave speakers  - I use NXT's from an old desktop . 

I came from a 26 CRT and I'm impressed . It doesnt dominate the room 

For viewing distance, this is handy...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

...but the comments about how HD looks good but SD is crap are common to cheaper sets (and some not so cheaper sets). The manufacturers don't bother putting too much effort into the built in upscalers these days. If you've a mind, you can get much better results with external upscalers quite often, although I never really saw all that much point myself.

I know one thing, I'd be quite happy if the broadcasters didn't compress the 'HD' material quite so much - a decent bitrate would help a lot but they are far too keen on cramming as many channels as possible down each stream.  BD is the only way you'll get close to seeing it the way it should be. Often, I find a humble DVD looks better than most supposedly HD off-air sources. But then my TV has a damn good upscaler built in.

SCART - or as we call it here Some C**s Already Ruined This

For starters it's a larger screen and most probably has extra features and a higher refresh rate. If you need a new recorder then the You View PVR has 2 tuners and you can catch up on the same box.

No, the dvd box is only a few weeks old! We bought it to replace our Topup TV box, when they went belly up recently. The Topup box had dual tuners, so you could watch and record at the same time.

Dont get a cheapo one dom

Youll be dissapointed with the result

When i bought my 50" plasma my lad decided he wanted a big tv and got one from morrisons

It was like watching a vhs

The other thing to remember is dont pay too much attn to the pictures in stores

If theyve got a push on panasonic,all the pan sets get rigged up to hdtv or a bluray film

Everything else gets sd

Take a dvd or bluray and mess about with the settings

I got mine from currys

They were pushing sony,saying that they are far superior panels to everyone else

I read that sony use samsung panels snd are assembled in the samsung factory

They also had hd running through it

When i reached round the back and plugged hd into the samsung the picture vastly improved

Then i asked for the remote,which was out the back in the box

I soon had the picture looking far better than any other set on display

I can recommend the 6 series

No, the dvd box is only a few weeks old! We bought it to replace our Topup TV box, when they went belly up recently. The Topup box had dual tuners, so you could watch and record at the same time.

I see what you mean, my mum bought the Panasonic DVD/recorder combo as well and is disappointed as well with the single tuner.   You can view through the TV tuner and record with the DVD/recorder at the same time.

For viewing distance, this is handy...

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Article/How-Far-Should-I-Sit.php

...but the comments about how HD looks good but SD is crap are common to cheaper sets (and some not so cheaper sets). The manufacturers don't bother putting too much effort into the built in upscalers these days. If you've a mind, you can get much better results with external upscalers quite often, although I never really saw all that much point myself.

I know one thing, I'd be quite happy if the broadcasters didn't compress the 'HD' material quite so much - a decent bitrate would help a lot but they are far too keen on cramming as many channels as possible down each stream.  BD is the only way you'll get close to seeing it the way it should be. Often, I find a humble DVD looks better than most supposedly HD off-air sources. But then my TV has a damn good upscaler built in.

SCART - or as we call it here Some C**s Already Ruined This

You're right there,   When BBC HD transmissions started the quality was far superior to what it is now,shame it has been over compressed, kinda makes a mockery of the technology that's available. 

I see what you mean, my mum bought the Panasonic DVD/recorder combo as well and is disappointed as well with the single tuner.   You can view through the TV tuner and record with the DVD/recorder at the same time.

Sooty, you can if you have a digital tv, which was my point, our tv is excellent quality, sound is super, but it is  a 20 year old analogue tube unit. Hence my interest in changing it. 

Anyway, I apologise to the OP.for the thread drift/highjack!

There is a general 'rule of thumb' to determine the screen size. The viewing distance should be between 4 and 8 times the screen height.

Forgot

If you plug your hard drive into the usb on the smart tv,you can record tv straight onto it and watch later

You cant pause tv like sky though as you still only have one tuner

Makes sure swmbo doesnt miss any soaps :(

Upgraded from the 7 year old 47" Sony having seen the noticeable improvement in modern TVs.

Was given a demo on the 55" Sony 3D and was blown away. I wear glasses anyway and find it no problem wearing the 3D ones. I'm not that bothered if people think it looks strange !

The improvement in picture quality from digital HD to 3D was a similar jump as from analogue to digital HD. OK there are not many 3D programs yet, but even in simulated 3D many programs are much more enjoyable.

I only went in to our local shop for a special offer tumble drier and got distracted, but I am so pleased with it.

We ignore the advice about distance from the screen - the closer you sit the bigger the viewing experience, so we sit where it feels comfortable - about 7-8 foot away.

Obviously, the further away you sit the smaller the subtended angle to your eye so the smaller the picture looks - so defeats the object of having a bigger screen !

Anyway I am pleased with it especially at the price and £300 trade in on the old set + free instal/hookup + free blu ray player.

Seems to be plenty of sockets for connecting peripherals, but as always its horses for courses.