Immigration

Norman Verona

Matt, partly true but surely it's the grandparents complaining about the grandchildren (as we do) not the parents. The parents of today seem to have changed from their parents. Our son (42) has a son (7) and the lad isn't treated as our son was. 

HM sat down with our kids every afternoon and they read books. The TV wasn't allowed until later. Our kids could read and write before they went to school at 5. They hardly ever see their father as he was at work. The work ethic was being taught by example.

If we assume that half the unemployed have young children, say an average of 2 each. That's probably 2 million children who have fathers at home all day. Now, if we go back 20 years and do similar sums there are millions and millions of young adults who never saw their fathers work for their formative years.

See, us old fogies really know how to complain :)

My father told me that it was the duty of all parents to see their kids did better than they did. He was one of 14 kids from a mining backgroud and had to leave school at 14 to support his family. He saved and when he had enough money bought a house and got married, all by working extra hours and not spending what he had earned. It was the same argument for his generation with how can ordinary people buy a house, that we have now? It was simple then, as it is now, work hard you get more but don't expect to spend at the same time.

I became a mechanic and worked my way up to management, exceeding my Dad in material terms and job satisfaction. Our daughter is in the final years of being a Doctor, so again has exceeded us.

Too many people have never had that drummed into them. The days of working hard and saving until you had enough are gone which leads to the problems we now have.

Instead of those on limited income buying less they would rather go to the likes of Brighthouse and pay insane amounts of money for the TV washing machine etc rather than do without or buy secondhand.

There are still lots of good people who turn out well balanced kids, but, there is a growing issue with people who can choose to not work and still prosper.

One of my pet moans at the moment is "food banks". Apparently people are starving in this country, no they are not!!! What the problem is they cannot budget, show restraint in any form. You can see the people in Yate driving to the food bank, with I phones in hand, getting their hand outs. Today they were collecting for the foodbank in tesco, biscuits, mars bars, being donated all very nice, but if they are starving pasta, bread, potatoes are all a better choice.

The people helping would be better helping people who go there to learn to manage money, learn to say no to the kids and help them to become better qualified to gain better employment. That is too simple for those who chose to say that there are no jobs because those from overseas take them.

• Like 1

Agree with that Jeff.

However, my mother thought we were above our station in saving for a house. We pooled our money on a Friday night. We took out our fare and lunch money (HM had luncheon vouchers). We also took £1 to go to the pictures. 4 years later we had saved £1200 which was enough for a deposit in a £6,250 house. That was 1969.

I hope my kids have done better than I did. At least they don't work all the hours i did.

Ian, surely it's the parents job to instill the work ethic into their children. Mine did.

Couldn't agree more. Still believe that employers should plan / work to train our future generations.

Ian, problem is getting them there to be trained.

I have worked with immigrants of all descriptions.

At one end of the scale is a cleaner who can't speak English and moved her for a better life and more money.

At the other end is a professor who gained qualifications in another country, worked there, came here, got our qualifications and stayed here as he had more patients, equipment and a far better career.

I have also a lot of experience dealing with patients unable to speak English who come here on "holiday" go to A&E and receive full treatment and recovery. Some have issues that they have clearly had several years, discharged from hospital... Gone... Vanished! Where do we send the £18,000 bill?

I also hear about our benefits being double what they could earn in their own country.

Oh, back to the Prof, really nice guy. Gorgeous Mercedes CLA, BMW Z4 and an Audi estate. He had issues... Did not have a uk driving license and was having to have lessons and take his test. He passed third attempt and was mortified about everything. Could've lost his career!

I feel that this country needs to sort out a lot more than benefits and immigration. A simple idea is always over complicated and destroys any potential advantage it may of had. I feel we need a complete shake down and restructure.