Winter tyres

Arm

If you have ever considered winter tyres then now is the time to try. No need to wait for snow as they work well on cold, wet and or icy roads.

Bit of a convert to them and have a set of Pirellis Ice and Snow on the main car. 

Been on for a few weeks already and will stay on until late April. :yes:

I fitted my Conti Winter Contacts 4 weeks ago as my summer tyres were loosing grip with all the rain and leaf debris that was coating the roads.

This is my 4th winter on them now :cool:

Support Ash on this absolutely.

The difference is very noticeable. Much greater confidence in cold and on snow.

I bought a car last year with a set of verdestein winter tyes just fitted  (fella gave £800 for them ! ) and I took them off as they were spanking new,  luckily they are 18"  the same size as whats on my 335D so will be fitting them as beemers are shocking in the snow!  but I was debating when to fit them ??? last few mornings cars have been frosted over and temps around 2degrees, the car copes fine in the wet but the traction light has been flashing a fair bit trying to put 370bhp and 700 torques down so its maybe the time :oops:  :oops:  

the car copes fine in the wet but the traction light has been flashing a fair bit trying to put 370bhp and 700 torques down so its maybe the time :oops: :oops:

...you could always lift your foot slightly off the right peddle. :)

Pete's swapped his wheels over yesterday, the BMW run flats weigh a ton!

This will be my 3rd winter running my set of Dunlop 4Ds. I havent put them on yet as we've only seen a couple of days in the last week dip as low as 5 degrees. I feel they don't work so well over this temperature. Give it a few more weeks though. In the snow and ice they were fantastic and you had to drive like an A*** to upset them. The downside is most other people dont have them (and lose all common sense in the snow).

Also a big convert of winter tyres here.  Had a full set of winters on my M5 and when it snowed in February this year I was able to get home 40 miles away using little used roads as all the mayor roads were gridlocked.

I bought a car last year with a set of verdestein winter tyes just fitted  (fella gave £800 for them ! ) and I took them off as they were spanking new,  luckily they are 18"  the same size as whats on my 335D so will be fitting them as beemers are shocking in the snow!  but I was debating when to fit them ??? last few mornings cars have been frosted over and temps around 2degrees, the car copes fine in the wet but the traction light has been flashing a fair bit trying to put 370bhp and 700 torques down so its maybe the time :oops:  :oops:  

I come back to the uk every winter, and we drive our german car over. This has to, by law have winter tyres on it. We were on the m6/m5 near Birmingham when we had record amounts of snow, the winter before last----- I had to get out and help push the bmws up the slip road as the rear wheel drive combined with summer tyres just wasn't getting them anywhere- and hence wasn't getting us anywhere.... Our winter tyres didn't even spin at all- that was the first time Ive been able to compare winter tyres to summer ones.

It should be the law here as well. Accident rates would be cut and when we get half an inch of snow, we would not grind to a halt. I laugh when I see 4X4s on super wide low profile spinning their wheels and getting nowhere.

It's not just snow they are effective on, but I don't think I would want to go as far as them be required by law though...

It's not just snow they are effective on, but I don't think I would want to go as far as them be required by law though...

Yes, I don't think we quite have the winters to justify it. I'd be interested to know if Germans etc living here still fit them though. This country is full of people who see their car as another white good (quite literally with current 'in' colours!) and will happily fit the cheapest Chinese rubber they can find to their 3 year old BMW. Although, as we all know any car over 3 years old is unreliable and rubbish anyway...

...you could always lift your foot slightly off the right peddle. :)

nar  :d  :d  :d

some of the cars I take in have cheap summer tyres fitted and its staggering how bad some are, I mean some are bordering on dangerous in the wet, Wanli and the latest version of Accellera are shocking , I can tell within a 1/4 mile test drive if its a **** tyre  but at £44 fitted for a 225/40/18 I dont suppose you could expect a lot more bearing in mind that price is fitted and balanced and has been shipped from china, the tyre itself cant be costing a lot  :(  :(  :(

The good thing about horrible cheap tyres is that they are a massive giveaway about the attitude of the owner. I've seen more than a few 'no expense spared' M3s and the like with ditch finder specials on. You just know that full service history is probably from a garage using the cheapest components and fluids they can find.

i've owned a garage and worked in on for 20 years , always thought winter tyres were a bit of a gimmick until I got stuck on a slight gradient ( not steep enough to call it a hill ) with my one year old passat ( 170 bhp ) big wide wheels and tyres to match . worse car i've ever driven in the snow , how  bmw owners manage I dont know .

Bought snow tyres and it transformed the car , I Never got stuck again and never even got close . ( front wheel drive so only needed them on the front ) . A word for anyone thinking about buying them , three weeks after I bought them the price went up by 50% so buy before the bad weather comes !!