• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Seats - wotcha got?

peet

JK Composites for me, with the passenger's bolted directly to the floor and the driver's on runners.

I've done some long 100+ mile journeys in them, as well as a fair few track days. They are very comfortable, supportive and didn't break the bank!

I had Cobras in originally, but personally find the JKs better on all counts :)

IMAG0281.jpg

B6s for me. They actually didn't work out much more expensive than a set of JKs, but IMO are a lot better with no flex at all. Service from David was superb....

B6s for me. They actually didn't work out much more expensive than a set of JKs, but IMO are a lot better with no flex at all. Service from David was superb....

As I'm considering B6 or JKs I have two questions related to your statement.

Are you saying there is flex in the JKs? Is that with the base?

When you say not much more expensive, how do you figure that? I have only looked at the web-prices an there I would pay £480 + shipping for a pair of JKs with base and the pads. For the B6 I would pay £982 (simplest version) + shipping. What am I missing?

Hi,

The JKs I looked at flexed quite a bit, a lot of people added additional brackets between the seat and rear bulkhead to stop this. In the past there have been a few offers on the Tillet seats, and I think because of that I got 20% off. They were still more expensive, but the difference in quality outweighed the difference in cost. The figures I had in mind (but it was a few years ago so may be a bit off) were around £700 for the Tillets vs not far off £550 for the JKs. IIRC, the shiping on JKs was expensive at the time.

Also, David, who supplies the Tillets on here, gave great customer service. I wasn't sure which seat would fit so he shipped me on of each to check, and than swapped the one that didn't fit for the other type. All extra shipping covered by him....

I would recommend sitting ina couple of different seats and seeing which fit. The advantage of JKs is that they do different widths, the b6 is one size, but happens to fit me really well....

As I have just bought my Westy (and it was a lot more than I anticipated as I thought it was the best I could afford) I'm on a bit of a budget with this - the last thing I expected was to be spending out on new seats to be honest.

I can't justify spending £800+ on my 2nd 'fun' cars seats (tho they look fantastic) when we need a new sofa etc at home! Same as most of us really...

Guess i'm going used or cheap then upgrade when funds allow...

......when we need a new sofa etc at home! ...........

just use the westie seats in the lounge over winter :laugh:

Tillet give good service , no doubt but so do JK, it's what you would expect from any small UK supplier.

You will need the additional base if you are fitting to seat runners to give the extra rigidity. If you are mounting direct to the floor then the bulkhead brackets is all that is needed. When ordering with JK you will need to tell them which fixing method you are going to implement as the bases are bonded to the seat, they are not screw on bases.

• Like 1

Sooooo....

I found some old camper stuff to sell so I decided to ring and order just a drivers seat from JK as I had to get a seat of some description.

Had a long conversation with Jordan there for sizing etc and they also have a 10% discount until November so ended up ordering a new pair.

Well impressed with service and price - £380 for the pair including padding in colour of my choice and the special base for runners on drivers side, fixed for passenger side. Post on top but still impressed.

I was also impressed with the David from Tillet seats kind offer to try seats even though he knew I could only afford used ones.

Top fellas at both companies, thank you!

So just a wait for delivery now but plenty of other jobs to fiddle while I wait!!

From someone who for various reasons had to buy drivers and passengers JK's separately, trust me, you've done the right thing.

It's the only way to avoid the changes you get batch to batch appearance wise.

When I was looking (at every opportunity all week!) I realised that the JKs were really good value for money. After making the call to JK and chatting I just thought sod it and dusted off the crefit card!

Both Jordan and Dave were more interested in getting me the right seat rather than just selling me any old seat a fact I really appreciated.

Just realised I haven't introduced my Westy yet! Best get some pics!

Even though I went for Tillets, I have sat in JK's and was very impressed, I am sure you will not regret your purchase :d

As I'm considering B6 or JKs I have two questions related to your statement.

Are you saying there is flex in the JKs? Is that with the base?

When you say not much more expensive, how do you figure that? I have only looked at the web-prices an there I would pay £480 + shipping for a pair of JKs with base and the pads. For the B6 I would pay £982 (simplest version) + shipping. What am I missing?

It's a question that I get asked quite alot so I thought I would reply with some pictures.

Tillett B6 is very stiff because it has three main parts that are bonded together.

1) The front half of the seat. This is the bit you see and comes into contact with your body.  This can be GRP or Carbon. Both are vacumn infusion formed in a steel mould not wet laid.  The advantage of this is a lighter and more consistent quality.  You can actually buy this on its own as a B6.5.(and also B3.5 which is front of a B4 so more reclined)  But in this form as a single thickness shell it is quite flexible and so needs to be mounted with supports in the car similar to the standard JK seat.  This option is what was fitted to the red SBD car.  It makes sense if you want the lightest possible seat and don't need to worry about adjusting back and forward.

2) Full height backframe.  This is bonded to the back and bottom of the seat.  It is almost full height stopping just short of the harness holes. It also goes under the seat. The base contains 4 M8 threaded inserts that are for fixing runners. Without runners small spacers need to be used. The seat is designed to just clear the floor on runners.

BackframeB6

3) Head reinforcement. This bonded section additionally stiffens the very top of the seat.  You can see in the picture below running around the edge.

HeadStrenghteningB6

Please see separate thread for 20% discount during November but Tillett are more expensive, not least for some of the reasons highlighted.

We have B6, B6.5 and B3.5 in stock.

Shipment in Europe is a bit more expensive than UK - typically £50 for a pair of B6s.

Regards

David

Sooooo....

I found some old camper stuff to sell so I decided to ring and order just a drivers seat from JK as I had to get a seat of some description.

Had a long conversation with Jordan there for sizing etc and they also have a 10% discount until November so ended up ordering a new pair.

Well impressed with service and price - £380 for the pair including padding in colour of my choice and the special base for runners on drivers side, fixed for passenger side. Post on top but still impressed.

I was also impressed with the David from Tillet seats kind offer to try seats even though he knew I could only afford used ones.

Top fellas at both companies, thank you!

So just a wait for delivery now but plenty of other jobs to fiddle while I wait!!

What size seats did you get and did that price include postage?

Cheers Martin

Postage is on top. My seats are smallish ones based on my height, weight, waist line....

Even includin postage they are cheap - I had been sesrching non stop.

If i'm honest I would have preffered the Tillets but I was just too poor - it's s stretch getting the JKs - I was supposed to spend £5k on a car but spent £6.5k and I certainly wasn't expecting to be buying new seats straight away!!