Darve's little upgrade thread

darve

The tappet noise developed over  Saturday morning trackday and Dave said the oil pressure had dropped significantly. Someone mentioned we should check the oil level, it was off the dipstick.   Oil was topped up but still it smoked throughout the afternoon, oil pressure was back to normal albeit still smoking. All this leads to be something to do with the oil breather system or the rings starting to fail, worst case is the lower bearings failing. The tappet noise I feel is the result of not enough pressure at the top end feeding the tappets or dirt blocking the hydraulic lifters.

you need the cam cover off for inspection. and drop the oil and inspect it too

I've started and seperate thread in the techie section guys - responses are in there to the above comments

have just sent blink an email too

:down:

sorry to hear the news about the oil burning issue :-(

The increased compression ratio can show up weaknesses in the piston rings and piston rings are also known to seize in the ring lands on these engines.

mine goes to a catch tank with the pcv valve blanked off. absolutely zilch in the catch tank.

Will have a look in the rods manual, thanks

The PCV valve should never be blocked off - the cam cover needs to breath.

The tappet noise developed over  Saturday morning trackday and Dave said the oil pressure had dropped significantly. Someone mentioned we should check the oil level, it was off the dipstick.   Oil was topped up but still it smoked throughout the afternoon, oil pressure was back to normal albeit still smoking. All this leads to be something to do with the oil breather system or the rings starting to fail, worst case is the lower bearings failing. The tappet noise I feel is the result of not enough pressure at the top end feeding the tappets or dirt blocking the hydraulic lifters.

The low oil pressure/oil surge/low oil level is very worrying.

We are back at the workshop on Tuesday so give us a call.

Fraser

ok mate will do :)

at least the weather's turning sour......... :d