Darve's little upgrade thread

darve

Gary, mines not very pink anymore either :p

Yes,

I think an OEM timing belt needs to be tried - we stopped using IL Motorsports Parts some time ago now and only fit Mazda Parts. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Gary - the timing belt was fitted as per workkshop manual so was the correct tension - if it's loose now then it has also stretched?

Fraser

thanks Fraser.

belt must have stretched. looking at pic 2 in post #6 the engine it's at TDC and I hadn't loosened the tensioner and that is with the old head on. it was not that lose when I built the car.

can't see it being anything else now I've spotted that pic with the engine at TDC

Gary if it does turn out to have stretched, I'd be changing yours as well!

have got the numbers of 6 Mazda main dealers parts department - hope 1 has one in stock :(

have got the numbers of 6 Mazda main dealers parts department - hope 1 has one in stock :(

as said earlier, if you get stuck finding one, I'll remove the one from my spare engine for you :)

thanks Mark - don't forget to send me those details :)

Dave,

you could also try some motor factors - won't be OEM but will get you through until you can get hold of an OEM belt.

HTH

Gary - the timing belt was fitted as per workkshop manual so was the correct tension - if it's loose now then it has also stretched?

Fraser

Mine is fine Fraser, but it looks like I ought to swap it reading the above!

off to collect an oem belt :)

Dave - one other thing to check......

The belt can become 'slack' depending on where you are in the crank/cam cycle. When you install the belt (no.1 @ TDC and timing marks on the pulleys are vertical), you are then supposed to rotate the crank pulley 1 and 5/6ths turns to bring it to the correct point in the engine cycle to set the tensioner pulley.

Try doing this - there is a mark on the oil pump where 5/6ths of a turn is...or about 11.00 on a clock face. So...spin it round 1 and 5/6ths turns and then see what the tension is like between the pulleys (should be relatively tight).

Richard

stay oem guys. my belt had stretched

fraser - will get the crank pulley back on and do as you describe :)

20131014_094047_zpse764db3e.jpg

Has it stretched? Or was is always a bit too big I wonder  ???

Phew :t-up:

Phew :t-up:

phew indeed !

going for engine start in about 20mins. good job most of the neighbors are out so I can run the cams in :d

Has it stretched? Or was is always a bit too big I wonder  ???

it was tight when I fitted it therefore must have streched