no more defenders

dombanks

i know sooty - having been run over by my own landrover once (long story) its not nice.

The fact that they are stopping production makes me feel better about painting this one :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

0E08CCD3-67BA-4495-82D9-9D7021F304D8-303

i know sooty - having been run over by my own landrover once (long story) its not nice.

Would it make a good Hollywood film :)  Like Sharknado.

Sadly not, just me, some woods, a hill and bad handbrake..... :(

sounds like dogging gone wrong :)

If you go down the production line even today, you can see body panels and doors being "adjusted" with a mallet and drift (well-worn lump of wood) - there's just no room at JLR for such horse-and-buggy production techniques any more.

They are doing this today on the line with the current XF, XJ and XK, I have seen them with my own eyes! :)  

Landrovers are so unreliable by modern standards, things wear out on them or break at an unacceptable rate when compared to the Toyota Landcruiser, for example.

And they are not exactly the most comfortable vehicles to travel in on the road.

Basically, outdated and primitive.

Just my humble opinion, of course, based on what my farmer and shooting friends tell me, and my experience of sometimes travelling as a passenger in them. Oh, and my experience of basic Toyota Landcruisers in Africa; they are no more comfortable as a Landy, but they are as strong as the proverbial carthorse when used regularly in extreme off road conditions.

the defender fits some peoples needs perfectly (farmers etc) there is no other v eihicle that will fill that hole , how many cars can you drive through a 5 ft hole filled with water ,get stuck and the cab fill up to the door tops with water ,get dragged out open the doors to let out the water then start it up and carry on

you sure couldn't do that in a land cruiser or shogun etc , I have seen farmer power washing them out inside ,hell I have even done it myself

It's right that the defender is out dated, unreliable and slow.... But hey, you are what you drive!

Good thing is parts are available to keep these things going for decades, not just a three year life like new cars.

Looks like if they mess up the replacement vehicle, then the used market will continue to rise.

As Steve say they will take a lot of abuse

We get a lot of snow

null_zps6ab83536.jpg

This was taken 3 weeks 1 day after it fell when the council finally dug us out

My old Land Rover got me to work every day :)

The bumper was hanging off but it bashed through :)

In my Xtrail I would probably set off the air bags :(

The big question is, if you were buying one of the last ones as a 110 SW, which colour would you go for?

I'd be temped by either Baltic blue, Havana (can't find a real life pic though!), Firenze red, or Firenze red with black roof.

The dark grey (Orkney grey) looks good, but every b******* seems to have a grey car these days.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that they are stopping production makes me feel better about painting this one :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

0E08CCD3-67BA-4495-82D9-9D7021F304D8-303

Ah that looks better, 2 coats of etch primer and 3 coats of 2K direct gloss  :t-up:

CB97A792-C22D-4826-B5E5-557022B46E62-594

DCA5CCA0-F899-4586-B6B8-F0FD021B97C8-594

• Like 1