Looking for a car trailer - any recommendations?

Jon Murray

My PRG minitech has been great for 3 years  ;)  :D  :)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• peterg

• Turbo Tommo

• Blatman

I have had experience of both a BJ Minno and a heavy covered PRG Millenium (the trailer weighed 580kgs!!!!- more than my Westfield!;) and can confirm that they will tow comfortably up to 75-77mph, after that things can get 'interesting' - only had it happen twice and both times it was 'cos the motorway started going downhill and the combined weight caused the speed to increase even though I had already eased off the throttle. Any of the makes mentioned will be more than adequate to do the job you want so pick the one your budget can stretch too.

PS: Recommended nose weight is usually around 75-100kgs but check your cars owners manual for confirmation.

Peterg

Can't let that go by without a challenge.

Get your tow car, ask Mark Stanton to stand on the tow hitch and then drive it. Even without a trailer it will feel unsafe (unless its a truck).

Can't understand why EVERYBODY understands the importance of setup for the toy but so few EVER check the same things on a trailer.

:durr:

I'm sure my Passat estate (OK it's a bit of a truck!;) can take one person on the tow bar - hmmm, not sure about it being Mark though! - but that's not quite the same test as having a trailer that will follow the car (IMHO)

I've towed boats and cars around for some years now and the only time it felt a bit iffy was recently with a four wheel unloaded trailer that was weight biased to the rear due to its construction (shutter door at the rear), even after putting a car battery/trolley jack and some other stuff at the front (it's a box trailer) it still didn't have enough nose weight to tow comfortably without porpoising - once the Westfield was inside and the nose weight went up it towed like a dream up to 80mph. This is my current trailer and after adding a tyre rack and electric winch it balances nicely with my single seater in it but will also tow well empty although it's a bit more bouncy on our crap roads.

Personally I think 10kg is a bit light for nose weight (IMHO etc.) as all caravan/trailer/car manufacturers seem to quote a minimum of 50kgs (that's only a sack of cement after all)  and my experience bears this out but each to his own.  :t-up:

Can't understand why EVERYBODY understands the importance of setup for the toy but so few EVER check the same things on a trailer.

Absolutely, couldn't agree with you more. For the record my trailer runs on mag split rims with ACB10s (2 degrees of negative camber) and has been extensively lightened with carbon fibre...

*coat on...*

:p  :p  :p

with ACB10s (2 degrees of negative camber)

are you MAD?!?!   you should never run more than 1 degree negative with crossplies it'll completely ruin the handling and for those with radials a max of 2.5 degrees but only if they're 13" otherwise 1.5 for 14 and 15"  I thought EVERYONE knew that  :cool:

:D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:

I will be unavailable to undertake any further nose weight load tests until full payment in advance of bacon buttie and alcoholic beverages - this will also help with specific nose weight loadings  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :)  :p