Looking for a car trailer - any recommendations?

Jon Murray

Hi all,

I'm looking for a car trailer, so that I can get to the more distant meetings of the WSCC 2003 Speed Series in relative comfort and ease.  I'll be towing with a Isuzu Trooper commercial, complete with matress in the back and 12v fridge full of the golden stuff!

I think I know I want a twin axle, simply from previous towing experience, but it's been years since I towed anything and I've never towed a car (except on the end of a roap) !

Do any of you guys have any recommendations of trailer manufacturers, size, model, etc?  Also, do you have any recommendations of where I can find a second hand one?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark Stanton

• peterg

• Turbo Tommo

• Blatman

errrrr yes mine  ;) look in cars for sale  ;) ho ho ho he he he  :)

Jon

There's Steve D's trailer - if it hasn't been sold already  ;)  :)  Covered and useable for B&B  ;)  :D

Failing that - Most folks seem to go for either PRG in Cheshire or Brian James trailers in Northampton - both are good and well built - twin axle is probably more stable - both have a choice of tilt bed or ramped trailers - There's also a company called Woodford again in Northampton that look very much like BJ trailers but cheaper  ;)

BJ Minno and PRG ecotech can fit into a garage - I've got a PRG twin axle ecotech and its been great  ;)  :)

Dont even consider an old caravan chassis coversion. They are ****e.

If you want new, try Woodford Trailers in Daventry, Northamptonshire. They are cheaper than Brian James and their workforce are ex BJ employees.

JL

Dont even consider an old caravan chassis conversion. They are ****e.

Sounds like a bad experience  :devil:  :blush:  :blush:  :D  :)

aye he used a static caravan chassis LOL :D  :D  :D  :D i actually thought of this idea as well but could'nt be arsed with the work involved :0

Yep, a bad experience.

First off, the wheels are too close together to let your car drive through the middle. Then the axle ratings arent strong enough. Then the bed is so flimsy that once youve strengthened it sufficently it weighs a ton. Then the tyres arent the correct rating. Then theres the fact that the bed ride height is too high to easily get the car onto it in the first place. I sold mine after a month to someone with a Suzuki Jeep 4x4 car who was adament that it was what he wanted, despite my warnings.

My advice is to save your pennies and buy either a PRG, Brian James or Woodford. Saves your money in the long run and the resale values remain high.

JL

I use a Brian James Minno. Not cheap to buy, new or second hand, but I reckon that if I ever sell it, I'll get pretty much what I paid for it. Tows brilliantly, a wide track car will fit on it, easy to load and unload, and long ramps are available if ground clearance is a real problem...........

Jon

Yup! I use a Minno, great little trailer. Bought it last year. I may be interested in selling it though as I'm looking at a Sprint Shuttle, If your interested, give me a bell

John Tomlinson

0115 9655793

You Poser Tommo - don't forget to have some graphics own the side  :D  :devil:  ;)

Take a look at the PRG trailers as well - they do one similar to the shuttle, but less money and it's a nice unit - Have seen one close up  ;)  :)  :D

I wouldn't buy a Woodford trailer until you've compared it properly to a Brian James - they don't compare at all. It's easy to see why they're cheaper, and the design is nowhere near the same (many many valuable years experience built in). Also the service at BJT is first class - and not just when you buy at the beginning either!!

When I bought my Sprint shuttle I did look at the PRG but for a similar spec I was convinced they were more money - maybe that's changed. PRG too are a very good company to deal with - I bought my first trailer from them.

I dispute that... I bought a woodford after having looked at many minnos at various trackdays. The woodford is 30% cheaper and IMO a much better design.

My particular woodford has a 5ft9 wide bed, yet still fits through a garage door (the minno is 5ft5, makes a big difference to widetrack cars). The woodford has underslung ramps that pull out like drawers. And it comes with some bits that are optional on the minno (cant remember what).

Woodford used to make all the parts for Brian James until recently, and the main trailer builder at Woodford worked at BJ for 14years.

The minno is a fine trailer, and like c******m v. Westfield, it will always hold its value much better. But if buying new, there are much better value trailers of equal spec out there.

Very happy customer!

1K+VAT...

1.jpg

Apparently BJT are launching a new range of trailers at the autosport Show. Think they call it the Clubman. It is expected to be a lower cost trailer aimed at the likes of us.

This is meant to be top secret, so you didnt hear it from me ....right.

Think they call it the Clubman

ssshhhhhhhhhhh - Are they the same Clubman ones that they've been advertising in Autosport magazine for the past couple of months  ;)  :devil:  :D  :)  ;)

They look fine and yep are much cheaper than a Minno or A Series  :D  I think they start from as little as £799 + vat (but don't quote me)  :D